“Stay at Wilderness on the Lake or the Wildnerness Hotel - not here!”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Plainfield, Illinois
“Stay at Wilderness on the Lake or the Wildnerness Hotel - not here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at Glacier Canyon 1 night. Our grandson was celebrating his birthday with a surprise trip to the Dells, and he and his family were staying at Wilderness on the Lake. When we booked, we were told that staying off-site was not a big deal because the shuttle ran every 15 - 20 minutes from place to place. After we checked in at Glacier Canyon we called for a shuttle to take us back to W on the Lake, and after approximately 1 hour and 3 calls later, one finally arrived at which point we found out that the shuttle that had arrived could only drop us off at the hotel where we would need to pick up another shuttle to take us to Wilderness on the Lake. It took approximately another 5 - 10 minutes for that shuttle to arrive before we were finally on our way to W on the Lake. I called and spoke with, I believe her name was Penny, who was supposedly the manager at Glacier Canyon. I explained how much time we had lost because of the shuttle issues and requested some type of compensation. I was told that the shuttles are complimentary and therefore there would be no compensation. Yes - they are complimentary, but they are advertised as a15 - 20 minute wait, and nowhere does it say that if you are staying at Glacier Canyon Lodge, you should expect a much longer wait. I can only guess this is because they are privately owned. AND....although the shuttles are complimentary, you are required to use them. If you park in any main Wilderness Resort lot during the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. you may be ticketed and/or towed. I understand they were at capacity and I was also informed that they are usually at capacity this time of year. THEN HIRE MORE PEOPLE AND GET MORE BUSES. Our return trip from Wilderness on the Lake to Glacier Canyon was just as horrible. Shuttle dropped us off at the hotel where we waited for approximately 15 minutes for another shuttle to take us to Glacier Canyon before giving up and deciding to walk the skyway to our room in Glacier Canyon. It was a very long walk and we got lost. We had 2 tired childred with us and had to grab a luggage cart so they could ride on it. Luckily an employee named Isaac took the time to escort us to our room. Room (standard 2 queen beds and pull out sofa) was small and poorly layed out and it was very noisy throughout the night as others have complained about, but I can accept all of that. Precious time with our children and grandchildren was lost and the attitude of the supposed management left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank LynnfromPlainfield

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This place is huge, not sure how many rooms, but biggest place I have ever stayed. The hallways and room entrances are all the same, except for the room number plate. Walked 20 minutes from lobby before I found my room with a couple wrong turns!

Room is north woods theme, large, and comfortable. NEED OUTLETS NEXT TO THE BED! TV does have open HDMI port.

This stay was off season, so not crowded. Conference stay, food at conference was pretty good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank mooring10
Neenah, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit. Very nice, clean & lots of room. There was quite a walk to the wild west waterpark & the new frontier lobby but the rooms made up for that. The staff was friendly & the room was very reasonably priced. Would stay again

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank freaksniecey
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We go to the Dells every year. Typically we stay at The Great Wolf or Kalahari. We came for a wedding so we needed to stay at The Wilderness. It was a large group so I rented a condo out at the Glacier Canyon. The room was just as nice as the large condos we rent at the Great Wolf with semi-comfortable beds. Not the best ever but it didn't keep me up. Condo size is very ample. Finishes are recently updated and nice. Our dryer was malfunctioning but we made do. All said I would stay in these rooms again. The trouble for our family was the adjoining water parks/ maze of The Wilderness. Let me preface it with we have two children 3 and 5. The water parks are REALLY spread out and not kept warm in the middle of the winter. Our kids were freezing (and so we're we) and because of this wanted to spend a lot less time in the pools. They wanted to go in the hot tub. Well - they don't let children their age in the hot tub (before you think it, yes they are toilet trained and not in some sort of swim diaper and yes we were going with them and it was not the adult's only hot tub). My 5 year old just wanted to sit on the steps and be warm and the life guard was militant in saying no. Well perhaps if the pools weren't freezing the kids wouldn't be flocking to it! I saw multiple other children/ parents being denied and complaining. The guards of course could care less it's not their problem. I saw parents sneak their kids in and go to the outside portion because even there it was warmer than inside the pool.

Also, wow was it crowded. A lot more rooms = a lot more people. I just felt like the standards here are a lot less than the other parks we go to. Even if they are smaller, I would rather have a better quality experience. Who cares if there are more pools when no one wants to go in them? A lot of people use these parks as nearby winter escapes, from now on I will keep my money where the fun for our family is!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Holluvstmcgraw
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Room was very nice and cozy and rate was not that bad. I really enjoy wilderness and have stayed at many parks before. Now the negative, they charged me for kitchen stuff they claim I took with me. They claimed I took two knives and charged me $163 for this. I had to call them and fight that and they are claiming they will get in contact with me. The room was nice but 163 for knives that I never took is ridiculous. This is the first hotel I had this issue with and while I will still visit other wilderness territory locations, I wont go to this one anymore.

1 Thank Marlene A
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed at Glacier Canyon for a winter getaway. We had a 3 bedroom deluxe with 4 adults and 4 children. The place was comfortable with plenty of room to stretch out. Had a full kitchen which made meals easier and cheaper. The rooms were clean but the leather furniture in the living room was worn and needs to be replaced. Bathrooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The water parks were great offering a large variety of water slides, kids areas and a lazy river. However, expect to stand in line for a long time on the bigger slides.The new lazer tag was kind of pricey but a lot of fun. I highly recommend it. The only on site restaurant where we ate was the Thirsty Buffalo. It was terrible. There's very little seating and we were told by the staff we could basically stand by the door until a table opened up. Instead of seating us we had to sprint to an open table before someone else took it. Then it took a long time after we found a table to get it cleaned from the previous diners. The food was overpriced and just ok. That was really the only negative of the weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Everything is connected so you can walk anywhere and avoid the cold. If you don;t want to walk, shuttles will take you anywhere on the grounds. Overall a good experience and we look forward to going back.

3 Thank Pntber
Waunakee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We've been going to the Dells in the winter for a few years. The Wilderness Resort and Glacier Canyon are always consistent in roominess and cleanliness. This year we rented a two bedroom, 1.5 bathroom unit. Plenty of room for 2 adults and 4 teenagers. The property was crowded but not unreasonable. We paid about $240 for the room, which is a good price considering the water park admission covered all of us. Parking was VERY challenging, and the towels in the room were small and thin. Those were the only less than perfect things about the stay. The resorts in the Dells are always noisy, and this one was no different. Customers need to be prepared to hear children and adults running in the hallways and in the room above.

1 Thank mschristinedwyer