“Horrid staff”

and 1 more site!
Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just returned from a 4 day/ 5 night stay at the Glacier Canyon Lodge. At first I liked the place. The condo was comfortable (although they do not do housecleaning unless you stay for 5 nights which can get uncomfortable when you go as a family).

We went after Labor Day and so the property was pretty quiet and nice during the week. By Wednesday, more people started coming and by Thursday it was very busy. I can see why this would be an unpleasant place to stay during the height of summer. It is a very large property that offers a bus service/ water taxi to take you around. However, when it started to get crowded, the wait times for the bus went up and the busses were crowded and not always air conditioned.

The water parks too were overrun. Do not try to ask the lifeguards or coffee shop staff any questions. Most seem to come from other countries and do not speak English. One young man who served as a lifeguard snapped at me to "take it" when I asked if a certain chair was his life guard chair. Nice!

But the piece de resistance came on our last night when a bridal party awoke my 2-year old slumbering daughter at 3 am and me. I called the hotel and they did *try* to identify the issue and couldn't. I called back 15 minutes later and the young woman manning the desk said "Oh it's probably the bridal party near your room. Do you want me to have security put a stop to it?" Um yes, that sure would be nice! She did, but the party continued banging drawers around for another hour and we did not get back to sleep until 4:30 a.m.!

When I called in the a.m. to complain and ask for a refund for the night, some extremely unprofessional young woman at the desk (I'm guessing it was "Brienne" but cannot be positive) told me that it was my fault that security didn't immediately identify the noise because I (in my sleep-induced state) could not identify precisely where the noise was coming from. Um I'm unfamiliar with your resort and awoken from dead sleep. So sorry to be unhelpful Brianne!"
She practically laughed at me for asking for my money back. When I told her that the first time I called during the night, staff could have id'd the bridal party as the noise source since the woman who answered the phone obviously knew about it, she told me that there was NO WAY the bridal party could have been responsible for the noise since they were "all the way on the other side of the hotel."

Meanwhile when we took a walk later, we saw the big "bridal party" signs on the doors very near to our hotel room.

Ok, so she wouldn't refund our money for the previous night. So I asked for a late checkout since my 2-year old daughter would certainly be spent and require a morning nap. Again she was horrible and told me that there were people waiting for our room and the best she could do was allow us to check out one hour later at noon. Gee thanks! I told her that check in time was at 4 p.m. and I found it odd that someone would be waiting for our room already at 10 a.m. She seemed a bit caught but still continued the lie. Very very unprofessional.

My daughter was a mess the next morning due to lack of sleep the night before and she crashed at 11 a.m. I called the front desk and asked again to check out at 1 p.m. Grudgingly they agreed. But at 1 p.m. on the dot, a team of probably 10 cleaning staff started surrounding our door and haranguing us to get out. We were going as fast as we could quickly feeding our daughter. All would have been fine if we had been able to sleep through the night before.

We ended up leaving at 1:20 with a staff of angry cleaning people surrounding us. It was horrible.

Just one other thing. I had rented a movie one night and only watched probably 20 minutes of it before being too tired to continue it. It was $15 (believe that?!). I was able to pause it for 24 hours but I had to start watching it before 9:52 p.m. the following evening. At 10 p.m. the following evening, I still had not been able to watch the movie for various reasons. I called the front desk to ask them to reset it (any skin of their back, um no). The unprofessional rude girl who answered the phone said "I can't reset it. You were able to watch 25 minutes of it". She could have easily been nice and reset it. No reason why she couldn't but poor training. Gee, one more reason to NEVER come to this place again

The place is big and the staff are not well trained or professional. I would try to find another place to stay at avoid Glacier Canyon Lodge if you can.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher floor if you do choose to go here, but it won't help much. This place is...
3  Thank emilyjj

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I thought this place was clean until my 2 year old laid down on the bed and I saw the bottom of his feet. They were black! Then I looked at mine. Black. The carpet was so dirty that it made our feet actually turn black. They sent someone to vacuum. Still our feet turned black. They said they could transfer us to a different room but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the same. Gross. Will not go back. They obviously do not take care of or properly clean the rooms.

1  Thank KCV5
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The resort smells clean and new, our 2 B,R, deluxe room was very comfy and roomy. The décor throughout keeps with the woodsy northern feel. Restaurant felt like a chain, but prices were reasonable for breakfast. All in all our family had a fun visit, my granddaughter loved the water parks, though on Saturday the noise volume was ear-splitting and she kept her hands over her ears! Sunday was calmer. I would not go again on a summer Saturday.
I do have a couple of complaints: we arrived tired and cranky and had to stand in line for a "coupon book" (time share pitch) to even get an answer to the simple question: " how do we get to the water park?" Other staff in the lobby area would not divulge this information. Guests should be warned ahead that the sheer size of this place requires a lot of walking or a lot of waiting for shuttle buses.

Room Tip: If you are a group, consider booking a 2-bedroom unit instead of 2 separate hotel rooms. It was che...
1  Thank LynnieJo
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We needed to get out f the cold. We stayed Friday night through Sunday. The rooms were great. The view of the parking lot wasn't really fun, but we didn't come for the view. The outdoor parks were closed, but the indoor ones were open. Go ahead and get the fun pass they offer. It's a good deal for the most part.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We wanted to enjoy the last days of summer by going to Wisconsin Dells. As usual, I would visit Tripadvisor to read all the reviews about the waterpark resorts over there. We have stayed twice at Kalahari before and we had a good experience although we found the outdoor waterpark is not that big. So I wanted to try out the other parks, but based on reviews I finally had to decide between Great Wolf and Wilderness. Of course Wilderness stood out because of the 4 indoor and 4 outdoor waterparks. Furthermore it has a 2br lodge since my 2 teenage girls wanted their own separate bedrooms. Glacier Canyon is really the best place to stay. Our suite has a nice view overlooking the outdoor Lost World park and it's just a few minutes walk to the other parks. We never needed a shuttle since everything is in walking distance. Check-in was really quick since we arrived around 4pm (by this time all the guests eager to use the waterparks at 1pm had already checked-in). Since the lodge is under Wyndham timeshare, a rep was trying to entice us into a 90-minute presentation of the units by offering something but we said no. The towel exchange is a very nice since we don't like carrying towels around. Although I paid a huge premium on the weekend rates, I felt that the stay was really worth it since there's a lot of things to do and enjoy. We would surely come back if there are special rates offered in future.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room, avoid 3rd level rooms close to the walkways since there are a lot of foo...
Reviewed September 1, 2013

There are a wide variety of pools and water activities to enjoy for all ages. Bartenders and front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The arcade staff however just stood back and chatted and had to ask them to help us. We did find it quite unusual that housekeeping does not make up the beds in the room and just replenish supplies. We visit hotels often and that was a first. The Buffet was extremely disappointing. If the resort would like to charge $19.99 for a buffet I would hope it would have better food quality. Maybe quit the kids eat free and offer more satisfying food. We overheard many others with the same feeling which really created very disappointing experience at an otherwise enjoyable stay. A shuttle driver mentioned they most often have an owner on the premises. I would recommend having an owner dine at the buffet once a week and judge if that is the quality they would like associated with the resort.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I just returned from our stay at Glacier Canyon Lodge. We were there from August 28th through August 31st. We were on the 4th floor and facing the forest which was real nice. It was very peaceful and quiet. We were able to check in about 11:30 AM when we arrived which we were pleasantly surprised by. We took the opportunity to get acclimated around the resort. Now let me just say that this place is huge. Expect LOTS of walking. There are shuttle buses to take you places which was nice and we didn't have to wait much for them. Plus you can hitch a ride from the golf carts that go by as well. What we enjoyed was the water taxi that was free that took you across the lake so you could visit Wilderness on the Lake.

If you can, check out the horse carriage ride that takes place on certain days of the week. It was a nice touch that we enjoyed. No charge for it, but the carriage driver does like tips which we had no problem with. The horses take you around the parking lot and a bit into the woods. It's about a 15 minute ride.

We had no problem with our room. It was spacious and clean. We just stayed in a basic double queen sofa. Housekeeping forgot to give us a bath mat one day and soap another day but I didn't complain. Everything else was well cared for.

We didn't eat at the resort restaurants. They are overpriced and a lot of the reviews on here weren't favorable so we ate at other places round the Dells. Those are also overpriced though!

So getting back to the resort, well you can get very lost there. Be sure to have your map with you. There are so many twists and turns. It was fun though exploring and they sure have plenty of activities for the family to do. The children will not be bored!

The waterparks were excellent. They definitely keep everyone entertained. There is something for everyone. The little ones have plenty of spots for them to play and the older teens and adults have spots for them as well.

The only reason I did not give my review 5 stars is because we were very turned off by the high pressured Wyndham salespeople there. Please BEWARE of these people. They will discreetly stand behind the information booths and once you go there to ask for any information about the resort they will help you but will suddenly ask you personal questions to feel you out and them they will practically strong arm you to take the Wyndham tour for their time shares. If you tell them you are not interested they will try and say they will give you gifts if you take this tour. They want you to fill out a form and sign it to commit to this tour. My brother-in-law took the tour and they never received their so called gifts. So please be aware of this. We had told one salesman that we didn't want anything to do with it and the next day he approached us trying to pressure us to take the tour again. It gets very annoying and aggravating. If I didn't experience this, I would have given the resort a perfect review but Wyndham ruined it! Right when we checked in, they had us go pick up our coupon book and we got strong armed by Penny and the salesman who wouldn't leave us alone was Paul. So just a warning to you all.

All in all, we would return again. It is a very nice place filled with adventure.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top 4th floor facing the parking lot/forest. It's much quieter there. Plus if...
1  Thank VelvetSatin