“A nice Labor Day weekend getaway”

and 1 more site!
Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We wanted to enjoy the last days of summer by going to Wisconsin Dells. As usual, I would visit Tripadvisor to read all the reviews about the waterpark resorts over there. We have stayed twice at Kalahari before and we had a good experience although we found the outdoor waterpark is not that big. So I wanted to try out the other parks, but based on reviews I finally had to decide between Great Wolf and Wilderness. Of course Wilderness stood out because of the 4 indoor and 4 outdoor waterparks. Furthermore it has a 2br lodge since my 2 teenage girls wanted their own separate bedrooms. Glacier Canyon is really the best place to stay. Our suite has a nice view overlooking the outdoor Lost World park and it's just a few minutes walk to the other parks. We never needed a shuttle since everything is in walking distance. Check-in was really quick since we arrived around 4pm (by this time all the guests eager to use the waterparks at 1pm had already checked-in). Since the lodge is under Wyndham timeshare, a rep was trying to entice us into a 90-minute presentation of the units by offering something but we said no. The towel exchange is a very nice since we don't like carrying towels around. Although I paid a huge premium on the weekend rates, I felt that the stay was really worth it since there's a lot of things to do and enjoy. We would surely come back if there are special rates offered in future.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quiet room, avoid 3rd level rooms close to the walkways since there are a lot of foo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2013

There are a wide variety of pools and water activities to enjoy for all ages. Bartenders and front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The arcade staff however just stood back and chatted and had to ask them to help us. We did find it quite unusual that housekeeping does not make up the beds in the room and just replenish supplies. We visit hotels often and that was a first. The Buffet was extremely disappointing. If the resort would like to charge $19.99 for a buffet I would hope it would have better food quality. Maybe quit the kids eat free and offer more satisfying food. We overheard many others with the same feeling which really created very disappointing experience at an otherwise enjoyable stay. A shuttle driver mentioned they most often have an owner on the premises. I would recommend having an owner dine at the buffet once a week and judge if that is the quality they would like associated with the resort.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I just returned from our stay at Glacier Canyon Lodge. We were there from August 28th through August 31st. We were on the 4th floor and facing the forest which was real nice. It was very peaceful and quiet. We were able to check in about 11:30 AM when we arrived which we were pleasantly surprised by. We took the opportunity to get acclimated around the resort. Now let me just say that this place is huge. Expect LOTS of walking. There are shuttle buses to take you places which was nice and we didn't have to wait much for them. Plus you can hitch a ride from the golf carts that go by as well. What we enjoyed was the water taxi that was free that took you across the lake so you could visit Wilderness on the Lake.

If you can, check out the horse carriage ride that takes place on certain days of the week. It was a nice touch that we enjoyed. No charge for it, but the carriage driver does like tips which we had no problem with. The horses take you around the parking lot and a bit into the woods. It's about a 15 minute ride.

We had no problem with our room. It was spacious and clean. We just stayed in a basic double queen sofa. Housekeeping forgot to give us a bath mat one day and soap another day but I didn't complain. Everything else was well cared for.

We didn't eat at the resort restaurants. They are overpriced and a lot of the reviews on here weren't favorable so we ate at other places round the Dells. Those are also overpriced though!

So getting back to the resort, well you can get very lost there. Be sure to have your map with you. There are so many twists and turns. It was fun though exploring and they sure have plenty of activities for the family to do. The children will not be bored!

The waterparks were excellent. They definitely keep everyone entertained. There is something for everyone. The little ones have plenty of spots for them to play and the older teens and adults have spots for them as well.

The only reason I did not give my review 5 stars is because we were very turned off by the high pressured Wyndham salespeople there. Please BEWARE of these people. They will discreetly stand behind the information booths and once you go there to ask for any information about the resort they will help you but will suddenly ask you personal questions to feel you out and them they will practically strong arm you to take the Wyndham tour for their time shares. If you tell them you are not interested they will try and say they will give you gifts if you take this tour. They want you to fill out a form and sign it to commit to this tour. My brother-in-law took the tour and they never received their so called gifts. So please be aware of this. We had told one salesman that we didn't want anything to do with it and the next day he approached us trying to pressure us to take the tour again. It gets very annoying and aggravating. If I didn't experience this, I would have given the resort a perfect review but Wyndham ruined it! Right when we checked in, they had us go pick up our coupon book and we got strong armed by Penny and the salesman who wouldn't leave us alone was Paul. So just a warning to you all.

All in all, we would return again. It is a very nice place filled with adventure.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top 4th floor facing the parking lot/forest. It's much quieter there. Plus if...
1  Thank VelvetSatin
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed in the 2 bedroom deluxe during the last week of August. The room had everything we needed for our week long stay. We come to Glacier Canyon Lodge every year for our annual Wisconsin Dells trip. The amenities offered, such as the indoor & outdoor waterparks and restaurants are excellent. You don't really need to leave the resort...everything you could want or need is there. The staff was excellent, as they always are. The only 2 problems we had during our stay was that there was black mold around the bathtub and the bees were terrible at the outdoor waterparks. Probably not much you can do about getting rid of the bees...it's that time of year. Had a great time and can't wait to go back!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our first time there, we stayed 8/25 thru 8/27. Based on some reviews I was skeptical, however our experience was the furthest from negative. In fact I hope to plan my next visit there soon. 2 Adults and 2 children ages 7 and 2. My 7 year old is special needs intellectually so I was concerned about the crowds but WOW he was so occupied it wasn't even an issue. We stayed in the 2 bedroom deluxe condo at Glacier Canyon, room 4121. I called reservations before we went to see if they could secure a top floor, facing towards parking lot for no noise. They did it with no problem. We arrived to a busy lobby but very efficient, the staff was great and helpful. I kept saying "What"?!!! As it was loud and she would giggle politely and repeat the information she gave as she understood why I kept saying that. The room was very clean and quiet. The grounds were large and intimidating but if you find an information desk they are extremely helpful. Yes every staff member seemed to be very young but do not let that mis-lead you. I found them to be very well trained. The indoor parks smell of course like chlorine but were a blast of fun for all ages. The outdoor parks were a total blast as well. We brought our own towels as previous comments here suggested it, plus I was not going to stand in line at 96 degrees for a towel. I saw others doing the same. Our stroller was used at several places but not all places was it needed. There are a lot of stairs, however many ramps available maybe just not exactly where you need them, but it wasn't that big of an issue and ended up not bringing the stroller as much as we thought we would use it. My son used a "swim assit" vest at every park but needed to take it off for all the slides which we expected and had no problem with that rule. I witnessed several children stray from their parents and get slightly lost, as the places are huge but staff was great, quick and comforting to help out. I didn't witness one negative thing that was mentioned in other comments, but I did my Tripadvisor research on here so maybe I was expecting worse but I was so happy, oh and P.S. I hate loads of people with kids lol and I enjoyed the place, now that is a positive experience. Also it was great to not worry about my kid having a tantrum as they were happening all over and its a non issue as you're a parent and you understand. Great place, expensive but we were happy with everything. Ate at the "Buffalo" place? Burgers were great, mac and cheese for kids with a grilled cheese and cheese curds with 2 Margarita's and waters for kids $65. I know that is expensive but they were very good and very large portions so we rationalized it. It was nice to be able to drink too :)

Room Tip: I could see how maybe the 2nd floor of Glacier Canyon would have lots of foot traffic as that is whe...
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Overall, Glacier Canyon Lodge is the best of the other two places we've stayed at the Dells. The staff was exceptional, always polite even when very busy. I have to mention the giant stain on the living room carpet that another viewer mentioned. If we hadn't used the Murphy bed, the coffee table would have hidden it. And the "leather" trim on the couches & chairs was cracked & peeling. And we did have to ask for restock of coffee. It was great having so many amenities right at hand without having to take cars--the bus was convenient also.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

we were there aug 18 to the 22. 3 adults and 3 kids age 9, 6 and 2. stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe. plenty of room and spacious. the only thing i would complain about was the pot selection. there were 2 decent sauce pans but only 1 small frying pan. i would think this would vary depending on the unit you get so maybe we just had bad luck. but overall the room was very nice. we stayed on the water park side which was good for us but the other side would be quieter if that is your prefrence.
the water parks were all very nice and we had a blast. the resort is quite large so be prepared for a lot of walking. we did not take the shuttle but heard other ppl complain that it was slow. we did get picked up by a golf cart which they have buzzing around....that was a nice break. we did both indoor and outdoor parks and they were all great. while the say no outside food/beverage we brought some extra pops in our bag and i brought my adult 'sipper'. we did not have to leave the resort as there was plenty to do. we didnt get to everyting!!!! oh well something to come back to!!! you could easily go in the winter and have plenty to do.
we ate at monks and thirsty buffalo on site. they were ok but i would recommend going to marley's across the street. great carribean atmosphere and they had kid activities like chalk for drawing on the floor, a sand box, there had the dance floor going. im not sure how kid friendly it would be on a friday or saturday nite after like 7.....looks like it could be more clubbish at that time.
overall great time and we will go back