“Glacier Canyon - Some great, some good”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge at the Wilderness Resort over spring break. We rented a 3-bedroom, 2-bath condo from a timeshare owner on vrbo.com and it suited our family of 8 very comfortably.

The main living area, kitchen and dining space were all open and airy. The furniture in the living room area wasn't very comfy. The faux leather sofa made an annoying squeak every time any of us would sit or move on it. There was a decent sized TV with cable and a DVD player.

The main bedroom was very large. It had a king sized bed that was comfortable. There was also a whirlpool tub, outside sink (don't know what else to call it), along with a toilet, sink and shower in an additional space. The second bedroom contained a queen bed and the third bedroom had two queen beds. The second bathroom was pretty basic but roomy.

The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, pots and pans. The dishes were obnoxiously large and difficult to fit well in the auto dishwasher. The coffeemaker was very dated and a little grungy but functional.

The free wifi was HORRIBLE. We were able to connect on the first day of our stay but unable to the rest of the week. I called the front desk and they stated that it was likely due to the number of guests staying and connecting. Why wouldn't a hotel operator account for the maximum number of possible guests? The person at the front desk said that the wifi in the lobby area was working well and that I could go there to use it. Should I have to go to the lobby to retrieve emails or get some work done? Not for the price that we paid to stay there. It was too bad.

The waterparks were all very fun if a little crowded. The staff was attentive, everything was kept clean and safe.

All in all the stay was enjoyable and we will likely be visiting again soon.

3  Thank cheddarheader

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had never been to the dells before, so this was new to us. We stayed in a 3 bedroom 3 bath condo with full kitchen. The hotel was clean and being on the 4th floor was really nice, for the most part it was quiet. The scenery was amazing and beautiful! There was a lot of space for us to play and move around. We went right before the big spring break rush started. The staff was questionable for me. None spoke English, so when my son locked the door on us, they didn't understand and it was quite a hassle. The 2nd morning, I couldn't find my contacts, they had been taken out of my toiletries bag and put in my make up bag. Other things were also moved which wasn't just because they were cleaning. I didn't think anything of it until later that day. I was walking to the water park and saw 2 maids cleaning another room. They were pulling items out of the customer's bag and holding it up and talking about it. I didn't understand what they were saying, but they had pulled 2 different items out before I fully walked by. That made me uncomfortable and I did not let the staff come in my room the rest of the stay. On the last day, we had late check-out, which gave us one extra hour. That was very nice! I was showering at 11am, and the room staff started knocking on my door, I yelled that I was in the shower, they knocked again and again. (I know they can hear the shower in the hallway, because I could hear my father taking a shower when I was in the hall, earlier in the week) The staff decided to come into my room. I poked my head out and yelled again I was in the shower.....not sure if they didn't understand or not, but that was not ok. People complain about the walking, but I didn't think it was that bad. I would recommend bringing a cover-up or your own towel/robe along with slip on shoes so after you spend the day in the water you don't get cold. The hallways are a lot colder than the water area - they try to keep them warm, but it doesn't work too well. The water park staff were all "nice". Again most didn't speak English which caused a problem for my 9 year old. The fellow working the tubes, put my son on the tube backwards and when my son tried to talk to him, he said, "oh, you're excited....ok, go" Well, as he went down, one of the drops flipped my son and he hit his head and went down the rest of the slide without a tube and in pain. It was more scary than anything for him, and the bump wasn't too bad, but he didn't feel comfortable going down by himself any more. I would go again in a heartbeat, but again, I would want to be on the 4th floor and away from the stair and elevators. I would rather walk the extra 2 minutes to have peace and quiet at night. I gave it 4 stars because most of the water park staff were safe and helpful (the one made a mistake, and people make mistakes) It bothered me that the staff went through my stuff, but to solve that I just put a "do not disturb" sign in my door and never had it cleaned. That isn't a huge issue for me. One last thing - I highly recommend bringing some if not all of your own food. The food was super expensive and gross. We made all of our food in the room, just easy stuff. It tasted good, was less expensive and better quality.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TAKS1234
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a 3 bedroom condo and just a single room with 2 queen beds. The rooms are very nice. Looks like they were just refurbished. If you stay in the Glacier Lodge ask for a room near the skywalk, otherwise the walk is very long. The condo is the way to go with kids. Bring your own food... the restaurants are very expensive and not very good. Kids eat free at the buffet--- but- for the breakfast buffet they charge $18 for an adult. No savings there.
I found out once there part of Glacier Lodge is a timeshare so you may be able to rent a unit thru VRBO. ??

It was spring break and the water parks were packed. The ideal age for this resort are kids ages 8 and up...especially when it is crowded. It is just too overwelming for little ones. Half the time we could not even find a table to put our things around or just to sit down. Ideally-- go off season.

Would definately stay at the Glacier Lodge again but not during a peak season.

Room Tip: Close to skywalk.. not 2nd floor.. that's where all the foot traffic is.
3  Thank grandmalibby
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Loved this resort our room was amazing on the second floor had 2 very large bedrooms, and a Murphy Bed in the Living room, Great Kitchen,Dinning room Living room , 2 bathrooms, the only downfall was lots of walking to the WaterParks! We took 2 of my granddaughters age 16 (her birthday was celebrated there) and my 11 year old and my Daughter who is 35. They all loved it... But trying to keep up with them really Made us feel our age, but we did our best to kept up with them! It was spring break so yes it was crowded, the food at the pool restaurants were not that great and a little expensive. We purchased the game cards that were $20.00 each you got to play Lazer Tag, 2 Mini Golfs, Water Bumper Cars, Haunted Maze, Rope Walk , $1.00 off ice cream, and 1 more I can't think of we'll worth the money and the only way to go!
You have full run of the other 4 Resorts , be prepared for lots of steps on the large slides ,
We will return to this resort again very soon! Had a blast in the Wave Pool !

Room Tip: I prefer one with a full kitchen and bring your own food to save you some money!
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay for a Fall Break. We have rented a two & three bedroom condo to stay in with our children & grandchildren. Large enough for comfort, kitchen fully equipped for cooking, places to walk & see on property and quiet! A bargain for all of us together. Yes, for 11 of us! Glacier has everything we need for the family, yes we walk over to the Wilderness but it is not that far for the children ages 4 to 12 to walk. Plus it is well worth the walk. We live in Tn and the 600 mile trip to the Wilderness and Glacier that is more reasonable than going to Sevierville, Tn to the other Wilderness. The Dells area has lots ot offer and looking forward to the next family trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here many times for short get aways. I like this resort and waterparks because no one except the guests can partake in the activities. The other waterparks allow for you to purchase a day pass -which can lead to extreme crowding. Thank goodness that doesnt happen here.

I stayed in a three bedroom, two bath suite. Full kitchen, table for 8 and living room. Washer and driver included. I have seen my room cleaner but I might be a little anal.

We are located close to the game room and my boys (13,10&8) love that part. The connected bar is a great way to relax while they accumulate "tickets". Everyday they would venture to a new indoor park ( its April and the outdoor parks are closed)

Great place to stay and will always come back.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank dfostertol
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge, part of the Wilderness Resort, over spring break this year. Arriving three hours earlier than check-in time, we were please that our room was already available. We chose Glacier Canyon because we wanted a "condo-style" room that included a full kitchen and multiple bedrooms to accomodate our family with the walkable distance to an indoor water park. With this facility we had it all - including access to 3 huge indoor water parks. We have three kids ranging in age from 2.5 - 8 years; there was something for everyone.The walk to the water parks was long; in hind sight we would have brought a small stroller for our toddler, but he did fine (other than when it was time to walk back in the evening, he wanted to be carried). I was especially impressed by the lifeguards in the kids areas; we were pulled aside on more than one occassion to let us know that it was okay for our younger kids to ride with us on waterslides that we probably would not have gone on otherwise. Our 2.5 year old even went down the big family raft rides! Also very impressed with the quick response time of the guards in the Wild Water Dome (wave pool). On more than one occassion they jumped in to assist someone who had fallen off their tube and appeared to be struggling. On the bumper boats, a man lost his sunglasses in the pool and the lifeguard jumped into the water to retrieve them for him. Again, very impressed! Purchasing the Fun Passes is a must! If you purchase at time of reservation, there was a deal when you purchased multiple ones. Well worth the money invested. Our family of five ate for about $40-$50 per meal when we utilized the restaurants. Enjoyed the burgers at Survivors and the Thirsty Buffalo. Not overly impressed with the Wild Canyon Cafe's buffet. It may have been because it was late in the evening (towards closing time). Even though the kids ate free, it was our most expensive meal. Can't wait to go back next year!

Room Tip: If staying in the Wilderness Resort, request a room on a floor other than second. That is the main w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family