“GREAT Time at the Wyndham”

and 1 more site!
Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed April 17, 2008

We just got back from a long weekend at The Wyndham part of Glacier Canyon Lodge . It was GREAT !!!! We stayed in a 3 bedroom Deluxe suite and it was everything we could have expected. We were there for Fri. Sat. & Sun nights with 4 (somewhat) adults, 3 teenage boys, a 6 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. EVERYONE had a BLAST !!!! We checked in about 5 o clock and no one was in line. Checked right in , gave us coupons, directions,9 passes to all of the water parks for every day and did it all with a big smile. The rooms were all nice size and very well decorated. All 3 bedrooms had flat screens, the living area had about a 40in flat screen with a DVD player and a CD player. There was a gas fireplace with a remote that the kids just loved to turn on. We had planned on cooking most of our meals in the room , just to keep the cost down. Because of all the confusion getting the whole gang ready we forgot lots of stuff to do the cooking. But no fear......... they had EVERYTHING there. We found a pizza cutter, cheese grader, cookie sheet, plenty of silverware, dishes, big glasses, small glasses, wine glasses, coffee cups, they even had coffee, hot chocolate, micro. popcorn, a blender, wide slot toaster and afull size washer & dryer to dry our wet swiming suits. We had to take a free shuttle to get to the water parks but all you had to do was call from a phone in the hall way and it was right there, we never had to wait more than 2 minutes. The parks had plenty to do for all ages. We took waters and snacks along in a small bag and the "food police" never said a word. All in all everyone had a really good time in a beautiful resort. We will do it again soon.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank CQtopgun

Reviewed March 30, 2008

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the wilderness with our kids ages 5 and 2. Read a few of the pretty scathing reviews and thought I'd share my perspective.

First off, we stayed Thurs and Fri over spring break week, so I fully expected the place to be packed. I can also appreciate that during peak season the rates are going to be much higher than if we had picked some random week. I,e just because the room was $289 a night (including waterpark entry), I didn't expect a 4 or 5 star hotel. Additionally, in chosing a place dubbed as "the largest indoor waterpark in north america" I didn't expect to roll out of bed and into a pool. I also didn't really expect utter peace and quiet throughout the evening, full well knowing the place would be loaded with kids. Lastly, we're talking "The Dells". Yeah, we'd all rather be on a beach for Spring Break but we only had 2 nights and weren't going to fly anywhere for a few days.

With those expectations as my barometer, I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, you can stay at the wilderness hotel or glacier canyon. We stayed at Glacier Canyon, which I recommmend. I'm putting this review under The Wilderness, because Glacier Canyon is a Wilderness Resort property and most people search Wilderness even on the web when booking a room in Glacier Canyon. We stayed in a studio two double beds, pull out sofa, microwave and econo refridge, flat screen and dvd player. The room was newer, decorated in the typical "outdoor" knotty pine theme. Room was clean, as was the bath. Only complaint was that the room didn't cool down in teh evening. It was still 30 degrees outside in the evening and the room wouldn't go below 72. We were on the 5th floor, so I ended up cracking the slider 1/2 an inch one night because it got so hot. (at least to me, my kids slept like rocks) Overall room was clean and "updated" for a budget/modest hotel so I was happy.

When I checked in at Glacier, there was a line about 8 deep, however they did have at least 6 people working check in and it took 10 minutes max. The guy that checked us in was very pleasant and efficient. I didn't experience issues as other note, but again, this was at Glacier Canyon part of the Wilderness.

Waterparks. Ok, they are a hike. There are 4 main parks and the closest is probably a 8 minute walk with the furthest being 15 minute walk. I expected this and don't mind getting the exercise so to us this wasn't a big deal. If there's any complaints, when you get into the Widlerness part of the hotel corridor, its pretty narrow and can be a pain passing others in the halls. Optionally, you can drive to the parks or take a hotel shuttle. We took a shuttle back the one evening and waited just 5 minutes for it.

The parks were very crowded but actually not as bad as I expected for spring break week. The furnish towels (like locker room quality), but they had plenty of them and getting fesh ones were never an issue. We did have to wait, but never longer than 10-15 minutes to find chairs to put our stuff. Was easy to take breaks from playing with the kids to sit and watch them do their thing.

They have 2 different wave pools and a ton of water slides for kids/adults of all ages. There were plenty of life guards on duty and they seemed to be attentive. One actually dove in the water at one of the wave pools to help a boy that was having difficulty and they stopped the waves immediately. They have a decent mix of attractions for younger and older. Our 2 and 5 year old would play in the kids area for awhile, then join us down the larger tube slides and had a blast the entire time. They even allowed kids in the hot tub, which they loved as well.

Food was as expected. Overall pretty lousy, but we only ate lunch there. Fast food (deep fried) typical fare with expected inflated prices. We ordered pizza delivery one night from Sarento's and it was decent enough.

I would not particularily recommend this place (or others in the dells for that matter) to couples or people without kids. If you have kids and are looking for a few night getaway with non stop action for the kids, then I'd give the wilderness (glacier canyon) a shot.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
12  Thank BigRedChicken
Reviewed February 20, 2008

We stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe. The property was new so it was very nice. Master bedroom - 1 king & whirlpool tub. 2nd bedroom had 2 double beds. Room was clean. Bedding very nice. My kids played in the hot tub every night. There is a very small apartment washer / dryer which was very useful. I saw some people complain about housekeeping. True - no one changed our towels but we had a washer dryer so it wasn't a problem - get over it people. Here are the tips I learned in our 3 day stay.
Tip#1 - Park your car and take the shuttle everywhere. The waterparks are over 2 blocks away. You have to make sure you take the shuttle labled "glacier canyon lodge" and you can only take the Wilderness shuttles to the different waterparks on the main property. Glacier canyon shuttles are to take you to the wilderness and back again. Every lobby has a phone and all you do is call and tell them how many in your party and what door you are standing in and your destination. The longest wait was 15 mins once. Most of the time they come in 5 mins cuz they have a bunch of vans.
Tip #2- If you visit in the winter - definately try the sledding hill. It is on the glacier canyon property and worth the $10 each for 2 hours IF the line is not long. Very gentle long hill with a rope that tows you up. I think the sign said 4 yrs & 40 pound minimum.
Tip #3 - If you drink, bring own alcohol - very spendy in the bar ($8 per drink)
Tip #4 - You can cook your own food if you stay in the condo. When dining out, we really liked Monks on the wilderness property 1 block from Glacier. The shuttle takes you there & back (10 min wait for the way back). Big portions of tasty bar food. We all had burger & fries type meals & all liked our food and price.
Tip #5 - Visit all the Wilderness waterparks & bring juice boxes, water, etc. Go to the park early to save a table cuz they fill up fast. Overall, I would stay again if the price is right.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
11  Thank travlin-with-tots
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I stayed here with my family of 2 adults and 4 kids. When we arrived for our 4:00 check in, I had to wait 30 minutes in line just to get to the check in desk. When I finally got to the front of the line for my turn, I was told my family's room was not ready yet. I was not early. The hotel's website and literature state that check in is at 4:00 p.m.. By the time I got to the front of the line it was 4:35 p.m.. The man at the desk was very unfriendly and not helpful. He suggested that we go wait in the bar downstairs and call the front desk on the house phone in a little while to see if the room was ready yet. Then he said if the room was ready when I called that instead of being able to come directly up to the desk that I should wait in the same line that I had just been in for 30 minutes.

I was very angry. I was not going to drag 4 children down to a bar to wait. I was not going to wait 30 minutes in line again. I stood to the side of the check in desk for 10 minutes and then asked another lady behind the desk if my room was ready. She said it was and we got checked in. When I originally made my reservation by phone I had asked the reservation agent if the price she quoted included all taxes and fees. She said yes. I discovered upon check in that the price was $15.00 per night more for taxes than what I had been quoted on the phone. I felt very taken advantage of.

On the positive side our room was beautiful and very clean. We had a 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen and 1 and 1/2 bathrooms. The beds were very comfortable. My teenage son really like the murphy bed in the living room area. It was much better than the uncomfortable sofa beds hotels usually have. There also was a curtain you could pull to separate the front room sleeping area from the rest of the unit, so he felt like he had his own room.

The resort is huge. It was a long walk to the indoor water parks. We chose not to take the shuttles because the weather was below zero when we stayed and we did not want to have to walk out to a shuttle bus in the cold. It was nice to have a choice of 3 different water parks. There was plenty to keep the kids occupied. They really had fun. The water parks were clean and there were always plenty of towels. The lifeguards were very good and were always paying attention.

We probably would stay here again. Even with the extra amount I was charged, the rate was very reasonable. I would just hope that next time the front desk personnel would have some better customer service training and rooms would be ready at 4:00 p.m. as stated in the hotel literature.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank Patty M
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Postitive:
1. We have a 2 and 4 year old girls. This resort is a plus for families with Kids.

2. Can have up to 8 guest/room with all access to 6 huge waterparks. ( you would otherwise pay up to $35 as a non-guest for a waterpark this huge like Kalahari)

3. The staffs there are friendly and attentive.

4. We booked through our timeshare which saves us $$$ of money.
5. Rooms are spacious, clean, and modern. We stayed at both 2 and 3 bedroom suites.

Comments on pass Reviews

Of course you wouldn't want to stay at this resort if you're on a honeymoon, girls trip, couples only, etc. This is a resort geared towards families with children.

Why would anyone leave valuables in a hotel room? True, that hotel staffs have code of ethics, but really?

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Happy_Travels101_8
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I have noticed in many reviews that some people are reviewing one half of the resort and others the other half. We stayed in a two bedroom presidential unit for a week in the Wyndham inn at Glacier Canyon. This is completely separate from the Glacier Canyon Lodge. And to confuse the matter more both half's of the resort are open to the other half as far as restaurants, pools, workout center, etc... I will try to keep clear which parts of the resort I am talking about during my review. As I said before We staid in a two bedroom Presidential at the Wyndham Inn at Glacier Canyon. It was beautiful, I have never seen such a big two bedroom unit. It had stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, a fireplace, huge master bath, and full sized washer and dryer. Even the mother in law was impressed. We had three adults and two kids and the room was plenty big. We only had one problem with the TV that was fixed promptly and the hot water wasn't very hot the first day, but for the rest of the week was fine. Now I had been able to peek into other rooms on the Wyndham side and they all looked nice. When we went to work out we had to go to the Glacier Canyon Lodge side. From the get go everything was different, the size and decor of the hallway was different, and when I peeked into a room that was being cleaned it was much smaller. The rooms still looked nice to me but more of a typical Hotel room not a resort condo room like the Wyndham side. I hope this helps to clear things up since it sounds like other reviewers were disappointed in what they had after reeding other reviews that might have been about the wrong half of the resort.

p.s. the pics don't quite do it justice

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
13  Thank ColoradoSullivans
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We have been going to Glacier Canyon since it opened several years ago and cannot say enough about it! When we first started staying in the Dells, we would only stay at The Wilderness because of the great waterparks and the arcade/play area for the kids. When Glacier Canyon opened up we decided to give that a try and were we surprised. It gives vacationing a whole new meaning. We usually stay in the 2 or 3 bedroom condo with the full kitchen and living room. Even though you think you don't spend any time in the room, having the kitchen and living room make everything easier. In the winter the snow tubing is an added plus and in the summer, the outdoor waterpark at Glacier Canyon with the 2-story lazy river is our first stop! As far as price goes, you cannot find a better deal in the Dells - those indoor waterparks come in handy in the summer when it rains! We have a large "Dells" group that make the trip 4+ times a year and we don't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family