“Like glacier but hated their timeshare”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I enjoy staying at the lodge, but don't fall for the sales pitch of those salesman in timeshare. They will come up with a porfolios and put up a great story of how he convinced his stubborn father to buy timeshare from this outfit. At sales are all lie. When you try to book to go back is a nightmare. BUYER BEWARE.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank wm4355

Reviewed October 20, 2007

the service was horrible not once in our three nights did they clean our room. Our door did not lock when we asked the cleaning people they said they spoke no english. We waited for about an hour after calling the front desk and finally decided to enjoy our day by going out, when we got back our door was fixed. My daughters nintendo ds was gone and repeated calls and emails to the hotel have yielded nothing no was has called me back and have not gotten an email. I would recommend staying somewhere else for the price. Thumbs down

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank dellstraveler
Reviewed September 14, 2007

This was our first stay at the Wilderness and I must say it was the best we've had in the Dells. We come to the Dells almost every year and we haven't had a stay like this ever. I feel the staff was friendly and not mean or impatient at all. All we did was waterparks and that was enough for us. It wasn't that crowded at all (although it was late in the summer). I highly recommend this hotel for family fun for everyone. The price was pretty good (well I think so).We are looking forward to our next trip here.

• Stayed: August 2007
6  Thank wildfans
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was our 4th stay at Glacier Canyon Lodge this year, but first time this Summer. We love going here in the Winter when there is no one here, but the downfall to that is that they only have like 1 of the 4 water parks open in the winter weekdays & EVERYTHING in WI Dells is closed super early in the Winter. Before I get to my summer review let me just say the snow tubing hill was great fun for the novice tubers in our family - (4 adults and 3 kids between 3 & 6).

On all 4 visits, the Glacier Canyon Condos 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms, have always been clean and in great working condition. The beds are better quality than your average $250 night hotel room, but I have to say that when you are away from your own bed, no matter how comfortable the new bed is it takes more than a few days for your body to adjust to the new bed (so for the folks from Iowa complaining about back aches, bring your own bed with you if you want guaranteed comfort!) I even found the murphy bed to be comfortable!

The best part of this trip out of the 4 was really getting to enjoy all the waterparks Wilderness has to offer - and they were all open!! (with the exception of during the thunderstorms when they were forced to close the outdoor parks). Today was rainy and 75 degrees and we got to enjoy the surpisingly WARM outdoor lazy river outside of Klondike Cavern. At one point there is a big bear shooting out water really hard, and if it's not too crowded, I highly recommended standing under it for a few minutes for a free - Killer Back Massage!! Even though it was drizzling they kept the lazy river and outdoor park open until it started pouring and then they finally closed it. It was great fun to play in the rain. Call me a big kid - but at 38 years old with a 42 year old husband and 4 year old daughter, we enjoy simple pleasures like a warm lazy river & cool rain on your face at the same time!! There's something so fun about swimming in the rain!! Then we were off to the newer indoor wave pool (forgot the name but it's next to Klondike Kavern). The waves are awesome in this wave pool and not for the timid or weak - you need to hold on for dear life and enjoy the ride because if you're truly catching one of these waves you'll be catching AIR!! People flip over all the time & bump into each other. But it's lots of fun for people who like that!! One thing I want to mention is that I think it's very dangerous that they allow people to be in this particular wave pool without a tube. It is too easy for kids to get caught under the tubes when the pool is really crowded. There are PLENTY of life guards on stand by but I still feel uneasy about it. We loved the improvements that were made to Lost Canyon outdoor water park, only wish that you could hang inside the tubes for the lazy river but if you do you will end up with scratched up legs because in several spots it is only 1 1/2 feet deep. Other than that this park was very nice and the additions are awesome & making it all the better. We only ate on the grounds once because we like to bring our own food and eat in the condo since you have a full kitchen. The corn on the cob at Glacier Canyon was nasty & $3. The soft pretzel was a hard pretzel & at Lost Canyon they have like 3 or 4 different places to order food - at one place you get a huge gourmet looking hamburger - and when we went to another place in the same park we got a cafeteria style Blah burger. For $3.27 you could have a normal sized ice cream sandwhich!! TIP: Go to Walmart and get 12 for that price.

One downpoint, During the summer their staff is mostly foreign college students from various countries. Most of them seemed so burnt out and we found them mostly to be pretty unfriendly. If you tried to talk to them, they would just look at you like you were crazy and give you very short responses. Don't expect much from them, if they crack a smile consider yourself rewarded. We've stayed here so much that the condo's are starting to feel like our home away from home, it's pretty awesome that you check - in and then your room is yours and you are not bothered by cleaning people bugging you everyday or trying to come in when you are getting ready or napping or whatever. Once a day they bring you clean towels and take your garbage but other than clean up after yourself and enjoy your vacation & the privacy that goes with this kind of vacation. We love that you check in and the lobby is so far away that you don't ever see them again til check out. A couple other criticisms: Plan to do alot of WALKING to and from the parks. The teflon pans in the condos are scratched & cheap! (Teflon=Toxins! Especially SCRATCHED!) (HELLO to PEOPLE who don't know better - do not use METAL utensils on Teflon pans!!) They could really step up with the Pan quality but if all else fails and you are driving here just pack a couple of your favorite pans and get over it! Everything closes much too Early!!! Outdoor parks should be open til DUSK at least!! And at least one of the parks should stay open til 11. Everything in the DELLS is closed by 10!! My family and I are late nighters so after our afternoon nap - we are good to go until at least 11! TIPS: Bring lots of your own FOOD & Drinks and don't waste your money eating on the premises. While coolers aren't allowed, we've never been stopped for bringing in our small collapsible purse size coolers. Good places to Eat in the Dells: For atmosphere - you gotta go to Paul Bunyans (skip Rib night - the ribs were tough and although they meat fell of the bone easily, chewing it was a chore! Gross! Okay but the pot roast nights are worth going to - the pot roast is super tender & tasty & fried chicken is every night and the best fried chicken ever! It's a very strange atmosphere that really defines WI dells! To another extreme - the japan restaurant House of Ginzo (?? ha ha I can't remember the name - there's only one Japanese restaurant that i know of in WI Dells - across the street from Noah's Ark) and it ROCKED!! Hibachi style or Sushi both were really good!! Fields at Wildnerness is quite fancy but worth the slightly dressy style they'd prefer, for a high quality steak or prime rib! ($19.99 to Wilderness guests!) Anyway, i think I've covered it all. Overall - We Love this Place!! Only thing that could make it better is if we could stay for FREE!

11  Thank jennybeanie
Reviewed August 22, 2007

This resort was modern and clean. However...I do not think that I would stay here again. I did like how modern and clean that the resort is. We stayed in a 4 bedroom condo. This condo had 2 bedrooms with bathrooms in the rooms and 2 rooms the bathrooms were across the hall. I did no particulary care for this. My husband and I were stuck in a room without a bathroom. So, if you went to the bathroom in the middle of the night you would have to find a cover up...because you did not know who would still be up. A pain in the butt!!! What I did not like most is that there is no maid service. I have never stayed anywhere before where I did not get my bed made everyday, the bathrooms cleaned and the trash taken out. If you wanted clean towels you had to wash them yourself with the washer provided. When we checked out we had to remove all of the bedding off the beds. These rooms were very expensive and when you are on vacation you do not have time or expect to do all of these things. I guess that I am used to staying at all-inclusives where they wait on you hand and foot.

Reviewed August 22, 2007

We stayed in a two bedroom condo at Glacier Canyon Sunday & Monday nights. My grandchildren ages 6 & 10, my two adult daughters and I shared the condo, and we all loved the condo and all of the parks. The condo was in great condition and the beds were very comfortable. I thought the photos on the website accurately represented the condo we stayed in. We were in building 1 which was convenient to the skywalk. It rained off and on for our whole stay, so we spent more time in the indoor waterparks and play areas than we did outside. There was plenty to do even in rainy weather though! We arrived around 1:30 and pre-registered so that we could get our wristbands. Yes, there was a line, but there were four people working the desk and it moved along pretty well. Later, when I went back to get the room a little after 4:00, there was a separate line for people who pre-registered so I didn't have to stand in a long line again. We got a locker at an indoor water park and enjoyed the Hurricane and other water slides. I discovered that most of the lockers I used during the trip requried two quarters, but at one of the parks I needed four. Parents and grandparents keep in mind that the big rides have 4 or 5 flights of stairs to climb, but there are lots of chairs around if your kids keep going and you don't. There are also hot tubs. It was quite crowded on Sunday, but I think it wouldn't have been as bad had the crowds also been using the outdoor parks. We did try the Wild West outdoor park on Monday, but the water was too cold for us. Tuesday morning we tried the outdoor Lost Canyon water park and loved it. The water was nice and warm, and there were plenty of chairs and tables available. I think it was less crowded on both Monday and Tuesday with the weekend people gone. We went to the dry play area on Monday, where you can shoot foam balls at each other, and I think the parents were having just as much fun as the kids doing that! There are two wave pools, and I want to comment on them. The Wild West wave pool is much tamer than the water dome. The water dome is just a blast, but the waves are so big and strong I have concerns about kids trying to swim amongst the inner tubes. You can hang on to the handles of the tubes and the waves will send you flying. It is fun, but you are crashing into other tubes like bumper boats and you don't have any control. There are kids trying to swim in between the tubes and I really would advise against that! We saw a child almost get smashed up against the wall doing that. Now, about the staff. I didn't encounter anyone that I had any problems communicating with, and I was very impressed with absolutely all of them. Most of the lifeguards and staff looked like college-aged kids, but they were totally focused on their jobs. I did not see anyone goofing off or letting their attention drift from their duties. I also appreciated the monitors that were set up so the staff could verify the previous rider was safely out of the way before allowing the next rider. I saw a boy using a water blaster to completely soak a poor worker at the top of a water slide indoors at the Wild West water park. She never so much as gave the kid a look, she just continued doing her job and even gave the riders a little smile as they took their turn. I was very impressed. The workers all seemed nice, and none of them seemed to have any kind of attitude problems. My granddaughter also, unfortunately, hurt her toe somehow so we had an experience with obtaining first aid for her and that went fine as well. Some of us did the pottery painting and enjoyed that. Two of us (adults) tried out a ride on the Ducks that left right from the lobby of Glacier Canyon (very convenient) and we liked it but it was a bit chilly that morning. We also used the shuttle between the buildings once, but the rest of the time just walked it. The walk wasn't too bad, but anyone staying on the second level of the Wilderness buildings could have a lot of traffic going by their room when it rains. We did the run to Walmart for groceries, so I can't comment on the restaurants. The only negative any of us had was the cleanliness of the lockers, bathrooms and water parks as the day progressed. This was not Disney where you always see someone cleaning up. I think it would be advisable for the staff to clean up these areas more often throughout the day. Dry towels are provided for the guests at all the water parks (which is great). The guests could be better about doing their part as well in throwing their wet towels in the bins rather than all over the place.

1  Thank Poolgirl36
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Did not get the room we booked and called the front desk in which they could not do anything about it, the water was very cold, even indoors. The music was blaring very loud in the very long skyway to the Wilderness Resort where everything actually is and very annoying, the customer service was to be desired and the bars, restaurants and Java stop weren't even staffed at times during open hours on the weekend when the place was full. Had to walk long distances to get from waterpark to waterpark along with herds of others. The bathrooms were filthy.

1  Thank dln3460