All reviewsactivity centertennis courtsliving roompaddle boatsracket ballrec centerindoor poolnice gas fireplacerent moviesan ideal locationnice condofull kitchensuper walmartplaying basketballjetted tubceiling fanexercise room
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My Wife, kid and I spent an ENTIRE week in Tamarack, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 8.75.
The place is just west of The Walmart, away from the Hustle and bustle of the strip area, yet only a few minutes away from everything.

When getting there-
Once you drive past the Walmart's- BETTER SLOW DOWN! The Entrance to Mirror Lake Resort comes up very fast, on the road there. LOL

The Condo was excellent! Spacious and modern. However, if you are taller than 5 ft.
(I'm 6-2) You are gonna be cramped in the jetted tub. Despite the smallness of the tub, the full flowing shower head and whirlpool jets made the positioning of my legs in my chest(while using the tub) ok.

A couple of problems we had with the place was my daughters fear of spiders. Her "phobia", was on full display, as you could not leave the condo w/o dodging spiders, spider-webs, ants, anthills and(of course the Mosquitos). I guess that's a price you play for bunking in a wooded area.

Another slight problem I had was the small menu of channels we had to view on the T.V. (good thing I brought Books to read).

By the way- What is up with Hotels in the Dells and MSNBC? You can't find the station ANYWHERE in ANY hotel in the Dells. But, you sure can find the FOX News Channel tho.

The most egregious problem I had with Mirror Lake Resort was,- the fact that layout of the place made it difficult to access the amenities unless you were WILLING to Trek/Hike
to the main office(where most of the amenities ARE)-which, could not have been fun when the temps in the 90's) or DRIVE.
The design of the place was(In my opinion), VERY POOR. The layout(of the place) should have been either- designed AROUND the AMENITY Building or designed around the Lake. If the Condo you were in was close to NEITHER,- you feel cheated.

All in all, I would come back again. The actual Condo was great, well equipped, the atmosphere- very relaxing. I've heard bad things about Condo's in places like Chula Vista and their Condo's cleanliness, support staff etc,. Tamarack- Mirror Lake Staff had the place "SPIFFY"!
It was a great way to spend a week in the Dells. By the time I left, I was completely "de-stressed" :)

A winter's vacation there just might be heavenly...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank geeman2159
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We are repeat Tamarack customers who valued the good location, the pools and the large rooms (and could live with 1980s decor and minor maint. issues).

However, this year we were switched to a new unit which I had been promised was wheelchair accessible and had 2 sleeping spaces downstairs. We have a very handicapped daughter and need both. Upon checking in we found that there was an 8" step into the unit and only one bed downstairs. The office staff's solution? A piece of sheet rock to use as a ramp (sheet rock????---Will sheet roock support a 150 wheelchair and 150 pound nurse? ) and a leaky blow up mattress.

When I called to say this wouldn't work, the office person yellled at me for 2 solid minutes while I waited to say something, told me I had lied that I'd been promised a handicap unit (which obviously is the one major requirement for our booking), told me that they'd have the manager call me (she did not), told me that it was fine if I went to Home Depot to buy supplies and build my own ramp, but that they wouldn't be responsible for any cost and basically said "not our problem". I was reduced to tears, and I am not a person prone to sobbing.

I did go to Home Depot and ended up building a ramp out of dirt bags and the aforementioned sheetrock.

We used a portable hammock as a bed all week.

I booked us into another resort for next year.

And then I relaxed and enjoyed my vacation.

My advice---if you book with Sand County, come prepared to deal with any problems on your own.

PS--when checking in, there was a family complaining at the office that their refridgerator did not work--to my eyes, they were treated disrespectfully. A warning signal I should have noted.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank KarenECS
Reviewed January 10, 2010

As you can imagine, this resort was very quiet in the middle of winter. Our family enjoyed the fireplace and jacuzzi tub in the unit, and there was plenty of room for our four kids. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the pool was perfect for our kids--not too deep, and easy to get to from our unit.

We did not end up doing any of the waterparks, as we did not have any special discounts to make it somewhat affordable. So we settled for ice skating and sledding, of which there were abundant places to do the latter on the property.

It was a nice relaxing time for us though, and we're glad we went.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank chicagodadofsix
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I read some of the reviews before booking. Would I stay again? I would try it again. The condo was beautiful, yes did need some maintainance. Things that were wrong-- the shower downstairs didn't work, pictures missing off the walls, hair weaved in the covers (not just one cover but all of them) coffee maker screen was slit so we ended up with a pot of grounds. We pre-made most of our meal before coming, but should of made time to look in all the cabinets before, as we couldn't find a pan & had to use a pot to cook eggs.
Too cold for the outside activities. Wonderful indoor pool, outdated fitness room, we used the racquet ball room (had fun) Children's pool had a brown thing floating in it, so we stayed away. Extremely friendly staff, always willing to please you. Very large rooms with great views. Plenty of parking close to your Condo.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank sistersister52
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed in a condo at the Tamarack Resort. We had two condos managed by the Sand County Service Company. The first thing we noticed upon entering the condo is that it had not been updated in YEARS! Dated decor, old kitchen cabinets, old appliances, old furniture, etc. Now we could have dealt w/ that IF the condos had been clean. They just had a dirty feel. The kitchen cabinets were sticky! The bed linens and bathroom towels were stained. Worst of all, their were ants everywhere! Ants were crawling all over the living room and dining room carpeted floors. There were ants in the kitchen! We weren't surprised because there are ants hills and colonies everywhere on the Tamarack Resort grounds. They were outside our front door and outside on the patio. We called Sand County and they said that they would send someone to spray the ants but they never did. So, these were the negatives on our stay.

With all that being said, the condos are large. The bedrooms and bathrooms are nice and big. There are grills for grilling out. Also, the outdoor and indoor pools were very nice. The outdoor pool had fun activites and games for the kids about every hour.

The location of the resort is great. It's right near Super Walmart and less than 5 min. from the Wisconsin Dells attractions.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family