“Wow, What a Great Find in the Dells!”

R Place Italian Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 191 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a small, family owned casual, fine dining Italian-American restaurant. Our meals are four course, which includes homemade minestrone soup, tossed salad with Italian dressing, your entree and rainbow sherbet. Please plan on a leisurely dinner, as all entrees are made to order. They may take a bit more time, but we are told that they are worth the wait!
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I saw this restaurant on our way into the Dells. It said Authentic Italian, and it was! Great food. The soup, the veal picante, the pasta, all delicious. I told them, people should be standing in line. Definitely on our list to revisit. The price was 1/2 of what other places in the Dells charge. The quality was unbelievable.

There are newer reviews for R Place Italian Restaurant

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We decided to try R place versus the big fancy Italian place across the street and were pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was warm and cozy and family friendly. Unlimited bread soup and salad and sherbet are included with your meal. My only disappointment was the shrimp I got with my pasta - it tasted blah. My husband got the veal and kids got spaghetti and it was excellent. I would recommend this place good food for the money.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I enjoyed the soup and bread. It was delicous, and the server brought a small crock of extra soup to the table when she brought the two bowls. The salad was okay. Unfortunately the main meals were horrible. I had the chicken alfredo. It was watery and just bland. My husband had the shrimp alfredo and his was worse. I ate the chicken part of mine. It was better than the noodles and sauce. My husband's shrimp was awful. The ice cream was good. Disappointed that I picked this for our dinner away from the kids. I will say prices were very reasonable. If the food had been better I would have easily given it a four or even five.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My mother and I stumbled upon this place during our final visit to the now closed Wonder Spot. It is a small and dark place, very old school. But we found it to be quite cozy and it had a real intimate feeling to it. All of the servers I've ever had here have been great. Their food is delicious and homemade and their cocktails are strong! All in all a fabulous Italian restaurant that needs to be given much more credit!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We are a family of three who recently took a long weekend in the Dells. At the end of a tiring first day at the Kalahari waterparks, we were craving an Italian/pasta place that was local (i.e., not a corporate chain like Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden). Unfamiliar with the landscape, and with no concierge in sight, we asked Siri for help. Siri offered up Sarento's or R Place. A passing hotel employee suggested Sarento's, so off we went.

When we arrived at the Sarento's parking lot, I thought we were at Medieval Times, or a model home in one of those luxury planned communities that went bust in 2009. I was a bit disappointed, since we came to the Dells for the Dells (not the mall). Luckily, we looked across the street and saw the R Place sign, and quickly headed over.

Immediately upon entering R Place's reception area, I had visions of fond childhood memories in the Northwoods. The rooms were beautiful and warm in dark green and wood tones, with Sinatra playing softly overhead. I began salivating at the prospect of my favorite childhood standby: spaghetti and meatballs.

We were latecomers (it was about 9:15), but we were quickly escorted to the main dining room, where two other groups were already into their meals. Scanning the menu, I knew we'd struck gold. All of the familiar chicken, veal, and seafood dishes, plus an entire page devoted to pasta! (In all shapes, all sauces, and with your choice of baked/unbaked and with or without meats.)

The bread came out first. It was seriously some of the most delicious bread I've ever had. Hot and crispy on the outside, soft as silk on the inside. Perfect dipped into olive oil and fresh parmesan. Then came the free (yes, free) kettle of minestrone soup -- enough to fill all our bowls twice. This was delightfully thick with veggies and little pasta bits, and made another great target for the bread. After soup came the free (yes, free) salad bowl. It had the kind of crisp iceberg lettuce that makes the best Italian salads, was drizzled with light refreshing dressing, and was brimming with tomatoes, olives, and pepperoncinis.

I was already getting full (and our son falling asleep) when the entrees arrived. But we soon perked up. My spaghetti was phenomenal. A huge plate, cooked just right, with heaps of chunky marinara and two unbelievably savory meatballs. I sprinkled some of those crushed red pepper flakes on top and my dreams came true. My wife had chicken marsala, which came with a beautifully sweet sauce with plenty of mushrooms and was served over angel hair pasta. The chicken was tender and juicy, breaded just right -- not too much so as to overpower the flavors or textures. Our son had mostaccioli with meatballs. All I have to say is that he went from nodding off to empty plate in about six minutes. After which he promptly rested his head on the table and fell asleep.

Because of that, he missed the ice cream sherbet (free, of course) that came out at the end of the meal. This turned out OK in the end, however, because the next night we went back to R Place again and he got two!

Some of the reviewers here appear to prefer the corporate-owned Italian chains that are common near malls, complete with generic flavors and menus and armies of fleeting college student servers. If that's your comfort zone, then so be it. R Place (and its wonderful staff) exudes all of the warmth and friendliness that you'd hope for in a local, independent Northwoods restaurant. All of the dishes (that we tried, anyway) are hearty, robust, and homemade -- how authentic Italian food should be. We can't wait to go back to the Dells, and we can't wait to go back to R Place. (P.S. -- total bill for us was about $60 including two glasses of wine. You can't beat that.)

1  Thank ChiThree