“Great burgers, huge bloody mary's”
Review of Monk's Bar & Grill

Monk's Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Monk’s Bar & Grill is known throughout the Midwest as the place to go for delicious craft burgers and great service. Our fun, family-friendly dining atmosphere creates a memorable visit for both adults and children. We’re not just a sports bar that loves their Wisconsin Badgers, we’re supporters and fans of local youth sports and schools in our communities. The Wisconsin State Journal has stated, “The (Monk’s) burgers have taken on somewhat of a legendary status in Sauk County.” We have to agree, our burgers are pretty fantastic because we pride ourselves on quality ingredients. Hours of operation are subject to change based on season. Please call for most accurate closing times.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went to Monk's in downtown Dells. The service was great. We had 4 couples and they had no problems with separate checks. Most had burgers and some with a special request like no bun. Again, no problem. My wife and I had Bloody Mary's that where really hot as requested. They had pickles, olives, and beef sticks in them. Almost a buffet in the drink. Would recommend this place to anyone including families.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great Burgers, service and atmosphere!! Every football game in the nation were on big screen TV's!! A bit cramped, but that's part of the charm!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have driven by this place on a drive by to Madison for years, and had the time to check it out now that it's not so crowded, after summer crowds have slowed. Small, old style deco bar, adequate branding of beers served, but the draw here is the Monk signature burger, served with grilled onions. We tried, we liked. The nearest thing to compare it to , would be the Anchor Bar in Superior, for their juicy, fresh burger. They have booths and tables in the rear and upstairs, but we ate at the bar, lots of sports TVs over the bar as it is somewhat of a landmark ,football pics and memorabilia on walls, a classic pressed tin ceiling. The bartender said they do takeout orders, but not during the summer season, as they get too busy. their grill is right up by the front window. You can smell the hamburgers out on the street!! Friendly bartenders, too. We'll definitely be back, and soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have enjoyed a Monster Burger many times visiting. Recently we had chosen to buy a place 8 miles away in the quiet countryside. Now we hit Monk's once a week... because "we can". Hand pattied butgers, fire-grilled right in front of you, assembled with some of the best fries in the business keep us on a weekly basis. The outdoor aroma gets your attention on the sidewalk. Friendly and fast service round out your experience. This place gets a steady business all day. Your meal is served on a piece of foof service paper... a shock to some but truly just a simple convenience. Simple bar food, prepared with high quality ingredients seperates Monk's from most bar grub. I truly find this as a perk of buying a home here. The Bartenders & Waitstaff will take good care of you. A simple but pleasurable experince.Comfort food has no replacement.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband & I just came back from Wisconsin Dells. We had Monks Bar downtown on our list of places to visit. Oh how disappointing! We checked into our hotel & the next stop was Monks Bar downtown location. A cute young girl waited on us at the bar & we ordered drinks & burgers & fries. When our meal was served a heavy guy with dark hair served it to us ON THE BAR. When I say on the bar, I mean on the bar. Our fries were in a plastic basket on paper & he plopped our burger right on the counter on a paper. The burger itself was right up near that padded bumper pad where your elbows rest. I requested a heavier paper container or a basket, just so my greasy burger wasn't right on the counter absorbing all of the counter germs from previous customers. He managed to bring my basket after my burger had already been on the counter. I then asked him for a container for my husband & he said that he didn't ask for a container. I asked again if my husband could have one & he said, we don't have any more containers & the place wasn't even busy. This is gross, where is the Health Dept in the Wisc Dells. If the paper is absorbing grease from the burger, the paper is absorbing germs from the bar top also. Ick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clincher, this cost us $27.00.

1  Thank LBNashGo
MonksBar, Public Relations Manager at Monk's Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback of Monk's Bar & Grill- Downtown Dells. Your honest feedback about our food and service are taken seriously and we'd like to apologize for your underwhelming experience with our presentation of traditional sports bar fare. For more than 35 years, since the original Downtown Dells location was purchased by its current owner, we have served our Monkburgers on food service wax paper and many of our side items have come in paper boats. This tradition has kept the 'vintage bar' vibe strong within our original location and many of our generational patrons have continued their trips to see us over the years because of our food presentation. We also have annual health code inspections and there has never been an issue, but we thank you for your concern. We hope at some point, you're able to try out of our other locations at the Wilderness Resort or in Middleton.