“Special attention”

Add it.
Big Moe's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The restaurant was very very busy. We had heard about their coconut shrimp and despite the fact it was not on the menu, Nick, the chef, offered to make this delicious dish for us. The staff was great!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The fresh baked dinner rolls were really good and they give you a salad platter, but it wasn't enough for the 10 at our table. We probably could have asked for more, but didn't. The food was average club house food.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had drinks and were there for a golf outing. Rather than a box lunch you had a choice of cooked to order chicken sandwich, brat or burger. That was a nice touch and they were efficient enough that nobody really had to wait so golf groups were able to keep moving.

Spoke with folks who had the half-rack rib special the night before and they thought the food was good and the price more than fair.

Oh yeah, Beverly did a great job tending bar for the outing

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I don’t usually do restaurant reviews, but my Friday night fish fry experience at the Kaminskis' Big Moe eatery at the Cold Water Canyon golf course bears revelation.

When our group of five arrived, the place was nearly at capacity. We were seated promptly, however, and ordered drinks. Subsequently, the very pleasant waiter took our orders. I ordered two pieces of lemon-pepper cod, as did my neighbor Vicki, and Steve, her companion ordered all-you-can-eat lemon-peppered cod. Greg and Mary, also neighbors, ordered three and two pieces of broiled cod, respectively

The meals included a communal salad bowl and relish tray, two hush puppies each and one side dish. I intended to have a side of coleslaw, but our waiter told me this would be on the relish dish, so I went with French fries.

Crackers were already on the table and soon a pan of semi-warm rolls appeared. We ordered a second round of drinks. When the white plastic salad bowl and relish dish appeared for our table of five, we all exchanged glances of disbelief.

The amount of lettuce was sufficient for three diners. The relish dish consisted of one radish, one piece of celery, two cherry peppers, and two pickles. There was also one ice cream-sized scoop of cottage cheese and an additional one of coleslaw.

I was the first to be served. Not wanting to be “piggish,” I eschewed the salad and took one cherry pepper and what amounted to two forkfuls of coleslaw. After approximately fifteen minutes, the hostess came by our table, at which time Vicki apprised her of how long we had been waiting for our second round of drinks.

When my dinner arrived, Vicki looked at my plate and was, as was I, somewhat aghast. the two pieces of cod must have generously speaking, weighed no more than three ounces—when laden with their prosaic tartar sauce. I laid the pieces end-to-end, and we all agreed this approximated the size of one small lake perch.

Finally, our second round of drinks was delivered when we were well into our not-so-bountiful fish fry. Steve, who had ordered the all-you-can-eat dinner waited long after we had consumed our meager meals for two additional pieces of fish to arrive. As he shared one piece with the still famished Vicki, Greg called our attention to the hostess and manager standing at the bar, literally, craning their necks to see what was happening with those two pieces of fish. To say it was absurdly comical would be an understatement.

Eventually, the manager came to our table with two complimentary small slices of cheesecake for the five of us to share. Why he did this, I have absolutely no understanding. He stood there smiling and asked how our meals were. Vicki informed him of the desultory, if not languid, service, and I let him know that the food was mediocre and the portions miniscule. In response, he smiled.

I asked him if he was a Kaminski, a query to which he did not respond. The Kaminski family, owners of Chula Vista Resort, Cold Water Canyon Golf, and Big Moe’s, has a well deserved reputation for frugality in dealing with their employees and their patrons.

If you appreciate a mediocre meal at a premium price and are not in the least bit hungry, I recommend the Kaminski family’s Big Moe’s Friday night fish fry.

Parsimony, thy name is Kaminski

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went to Big Moe's because the prime rib was highly recommended but we didn't end up trying that because there were so many items on the menu that looked good. It was not very busy, which after a day in the waterpark was refreshing. The family style salad was good and we were all happy with our entrees. Our server was excellent. We wish we had been there on a Friday to try the fish fry but maybe another time.