“Not what We Expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carvelli's Pizza And Pasta House - CLOSED

Carvelli's Pizza And Pasta House
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Carvelli's have a passion for great Italian cuisine and an enthusiasm for managing and operating Italian restaurants. This creativity and talent comes from their personal experience and originates from their home town of Calabria, Italy. They are set apart from the rest because they bring authenticity back to the Italian cuisine.
Shelbyville, Indiana
“Not what We Expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was a little too pricey for the quality of pizza. It is "upscale" but the food was just so-so. Save the money and go to Pizza Pub.

Visited June 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great pasta!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had the fettuccine carbonara and the salmon - food was excellent. The tiramisu was fabulous. Very nice open bar concept.

• Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

There were three in our party and we each really liked our pasta dishes. Our service was nothing outstanding. I thought the food and drinks were a little overpriced for Wisconsin Dells. We liked the atmosphere and location of being on the main street area. Not sure we would go again during our next Wisconsin Dells visit.

Knoxville, Iowa
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I took our 2 kids to Carvelli's while on vacation. The food was good but I felt a little disappointed by the staff. We bought the 2 for 1 drink passes thru the tourism board and Carvelli's was listed as a vendor. We asked the waitress if we should go up to the bar and order our own drinks because we had learned at another restaurant that is the protocol with the cards. She said it was not a problem and she would get our drinks for us. The first drinks were fine, however, my second glass of wine was simply a drink of wine. Could not have been more than 2 ounces. It was a $9 glass but I figured, at least it was "free". When the bill came I gave the waitress a 15% off coupon. The manager then came over and told us we couldn't combine the drink cards with the coupon so we would have to pay for all the drinks we had....including the 2 ounce glass of wine. I was a little frustrated since if my husband had gone to the bar, ordered and paid there we could have used both. Lesson learned, for the rest of the vacation we made sure to go to the bar ourselves.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Unexpected pleasure, a bit of confusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very clean, airy, the bar has one side actually out on the city sidewalk. Walking you almost feel like you're going into a nice plaza that is an extension in from the sidewalk. We came in on a very rainy week-day night, not a very busy time for this weekend-oriented tourist town.

The staff was attentive and prompt when we sat down. We ordered two mixed drinks-a margarita and a new drink, a lime/mango/mint mojito. Then service slowed down a bit as the bartender apparently was still learning how to make this new drink. Once the drinks came, things speeded up again. The margarita was a little overfull and the salt went all the way down the glass in streaks but I didn't mind--what is a margarita without a bit of overflow and salt? I tasted the mojito and the bartenders inexperience making it did NOT show as far as we were concerned. It was VERY good!

We were given some warm tasty garlic bread which I believe was anointed with olive oil--we wolfed it down. Then being of a pizza mind we ordered the 14 inch meat lovers pizza on whole wheat crust. The normal crust is hand-tossed so I was looking forward to the whole wheat. HOwever we were subsequently told that the whole wheat is made up ahead of time, which was disappointing. The crust was thin, which we didn't mind but kind of crackerlike in flavor, kind of like a pizza wheat thin. If you go, skip the whole wheat crust and try the hand-tossed. The toppings were very good and fresh.

I can't comment on the other food, which looked very good. The atmosphere is nice, a little echo-y due to the tile floors and large space when it's not busy. The pasta and apparently pizza crusts are made on-site and you can see the pasta-maker at work in her own area from both the restaurant and the street. It all looked very clean and I loved the chandeliers--wanted to take one home with me.

Overall the experience was very nice given the hiccup at the bar and if we order pizza again we will order handtossed. We will return to try other menu items next time we are in town.

1 Thank KatieKin