“Personable entertainer with a nice show” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jeremy Allen's Grand Illusions

Jeremy Allen's Grand Illusions
More attraction details
Owner description: Jeremy Allen's Grand Illusions Theater has several different styles of shows. The Elite VIP Magic Show, A Giant Stage Magic Show with and without Tigers.
Chicago IL
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Personable entertainer with a nice show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I took my daughters ages 12, 17 and 19 to see Jeremy Allen's show on Friday, June 26. First of all, the box office staff appears to need some additional training. I called first on Wed to see if there were ticket available for the show that night. I was told there were two tickets together and the other two people in my party would have to sit separately. Ok. I was calling the day of and I understand this was last minute. However, before making my decision, I asked if the tigers were going to be in the show that evening and was told NO. So, I decided to hold off and try to use the tickets another night. I asked if there were tickets for the 8 PM show on Thursday. Again I was told no but that there were tickets for the 10 PM show. That is too late for my 12 year old after a day at a water park so I respectfully declined and decided I would save my ticket vouchers for a later trip. After seeing the weather report for Friday, I decided to take a shot and see if there were tickets available. I called on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised to find there were seats available. So I booked them. On the tickets, it says an upgrade is available for a fee so I asked what the fee was and if there were any available. I was told the ticket I had was never upgradable. Okay.....

We arrived at the theater a good 30 min early. It's a good thing we did because the line was very slow moving. It took over 20 minutes for the two agents to help three families in front of us. Upon handing the agent my ticket reservation and providing my name, I asked if there was the possibility of upgrading. There was! However, the seats were only individual and my girls did not want to sit alone so we took a pass. Clearly the agents had not all been trained the same. I am certain that I would have upgraded had we been able to do it when I booked. So, $40 lost revenue for the show....

Seats were comfortable. Theater is very small. We were three rows from the back on the left side and were able to see all the show well so I assume the seats were all pretty good. One thing that was distracting was that the side we were on was the same as the restrooms. So, whenever anyone went to the restroom, blinding light came out and distracted us. To avoid this, request seating in the middle or on the right side of the stage. Theater was very chilly so take a jacket if you are prone to being cold.

The show was just over an hour and the girls were all enthralled with the illusions themselves. I don't want to give anything away but their favorites involved an orange and jumper cables. They all said they would have liked a bit longer show with more illusions and less dancing. I tried to explain the dancing was part of the illusion meant to help distract you from what you thought you saw but........well, they are kids after all.

3 Thank blondewithabrain

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun For All Ages!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I am a slightly larger man and came to the show on a budget with my family and in-laws and I'll tell you the truth, it was well-worth our money and time! Since I am bigger, I was able to move my seat over so I wasn't sitting on my wife. We've had to pay triple the price in Vegas for the great view we received!! Our children had the opportunity to get up on stage with Jeremy Allen, and the in-laws had no problem seeing the stage from our general admission view! We also bought VIP tickets and now have a great Christmas card with my family, Jeremy Allen, and a beautiful white tiger. I'd recommend this show for anyone! Whether it's for a romantic date for two or for a family getaway!

1 Thank Kristen320
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Big waste of time and money. The joke was on us!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our vistit was on June 22nd. First off we had radio coupon books so we decided to go see the show seeing the tickets would only cost $3 a piece. When we got there someone ran in there to get the tickets. The lady at the counter said oh I’m sorry but we have no seating available for this price….but we can upgrade you to premium seating for $10 each. So he ran out and told us and I said no way! So he went back in and said that was ok….she then said well, shhhhh I’ll give it to you anyway. So we went in and even though she said the seats were the best they were the worst lol….I still have a neck ach from trying to see….the biggest joke was it was advertised he would have the tigers in his show. He introduced one at the beginning of the show that was in a small cramped cage and then brought out a baby and he was feeding it a bottle….at the end he did one illusion with a tiger…really? It was not a good show at all. I wouldn’t even go back for free. Don’t waste your time!

3 Thank Leah M
chicago, IL
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“The kids loved it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Like many recent posts we went as we had free or $3 tix. What wasn't shown on those books is they also hit you with a $3 processing fee but really who can complain about that when six of saw the show for under $10 total. Id like to know what else a family could do for that price entertainment wise. We as well were offered the upgrade but did not take it. The theater is not large and I think your sets would be fine anywhere. In addition he did a number of the illusions in the middle of the room so....

All The kids loved this show(under 10). From the illusions, to the jokes, to the animals, tons of upbeat current music, lights, fog, etc they had a great time. Some kids might find some a bit scary with the lights out and some of the costumes, etc, but they were limited.

From an adult perspective, as one said "there sure was a lot of cheese served with the nachos!". That sums it up. Many illusions we have seen in the past but some different, we laughed some as some good jokes in there, fair amount of audience participation and was a good family event.

So kids loved it and they said they ha fun later at the hotel as well, what more can we ask for!!!!

Cornell, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good but over the top theatrics”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My family went because we had a radio station's Dells tickets to reduced attractions. We went to the show that would only cost $3.00 a person. A deal compared to what the cost of general admission was. When we went to purchase tickets, and were told that the general admission tickets were sold out, but for $10.00 more we could get seats near the front. I've seen this strategy at other attractions, they wanted more money. I decided to play and asked for tickets for tomorrow night, if available. The person behind the counter then said, she would try to get us bumped up to better seats without the $10.00, but she better check with the manager. I winked at my son, who winked back. We got the "upgraded" seats for my family, but there was a $3.00 processing fee. I agreed to that, and we got our reserved seats.
The seats were good, near the front. The general admission seats were filled, but where we sat was empty. Only a few people sat in the front row. They mumbled how expensive they were. The theater, though small, was decorated in a jungle theme with fog and laser lights. Being a member of a theater group, I was impressed with the sets, lights, and audio.
I will say this about Jeremy Allen, he is quite a showman. His props, associates, and stage help are professionals. His illusions were ones that I have seen done by other illusionists, but he does enjoy what he does. That makes him entertaining, however, his theatrics are scripted and over the top. I guess being in the theater causes he to see things differently. I will give him credit though, he scared a little girl with one of his illusions, he kept in character and helped the little girl recover and continued with the show, a true professional with the old saying, "The show must go on".
My family did enjoy the show. It was worth what I paid, but not for full ticket price. I would recommend a larger building location with bathroom facilities. Mr. Allen does do magic other than his small stage, but a larger facility would allow for more people and room for illusions.

1 Thank Pat T