“OK hotel, bad service” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago IL
“OK hotel, bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed at this Hilton last week in July of 09. Not the best experience, here's why:
1. Upon check-in, we were greeted bu a mean front desk lady Gwen whose expression on her face indicated we were annoying her by checking in and taking her time.
2. When I booked my room, I requested a comp. upgrade since I am in HH member. I was told we'd get it based on occupancy. Upon checking in, Gwen told us with a smirk on her face that there are no upgrades for 2 queen rooms.
3. Room was very small and our view was that of the air conditioning unit. We called and Gwen told us we could not get any rooms. The hotel did not seem full, but whatever.
4. The pool floor was not cleaned for a few days. Clumps of hair on the floor were visible in the same area for days.
5. We did not get any housekeeping service on day 2. I called front desk to complain, they told us it's because we had the DO NOT DISTURB sign up. Our sign was up 10-11 am, we came back at 5 pm - there was plenty of time to come back and clean. At least they delivered clean towels.

Few good things:
1. Pool is nice and warm water, mostly empty so you can enjoy a quiet swim.
2. They have great cookies at night.
3. Hotel is clean in most areas.
4. Free wifi
5. Great central location
6. Other employees excluding Gwen were great

Overall, we're not coming back and cannot recommend this Hilton. Hope the service improves.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Was a nice, quiet and comfortable hotel. Nothing really fancy. Good location. Served to purpose well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Janesville, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay in this classy motel. Very nicely decorated with a modern comfy feel. We got the hot tub suite and everything about the room was great. Comfy bed that was not too stiff nor too soft. They have a convenient bar in the lobby and the breakfast area was very nice. Motel is located in a great spot, right off the main strip but far enough away to keep you away from the noise and rat race. Would stay there again without a doubt.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
La Crosse, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed in a King whirlpool suite with fireplace and balcony. The entire hotel was very clean and the employees were courteous. The bed was extremely comfortable. My only dislike was that it appeared as though the balcony had NEVER been swept or cleaned. The floor was dirty and had pine tree droppings all over. I'd recommend shoes if using the balcony. Everything else was great-including breakfast! A little pricey, but worth the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
arlington heights, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 1 night this past weekend. It was actually our 3rd stay there in the past 6 months. This hotel is immaculate! Complete with coffeemaker, fridge, and microwave. It was very quiet and had one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. The staff, as always, was very friendly. The breakfast area next to the lobby was very nice, clean, and the food was excellent. This is the ONLY place we will ever stay while in the Dells area. If you have kids and are looking for a hotel with a huge waterpark, this wouldn't be a good choice, but for adults it is wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
ST. PAUL MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Front desk was very rude when we walked in. I paid as much as everyone else to stay there. i felt that because I was not an older business person that I was wasting there time. Breakfast was ok but did not get what i ordered. Paid to get passes to a really crappy water park through the Hilton package. The walls were paper thin and could here what the neighbors were watching at all times. My boyfriend use to be chef for the Hilton and we have been to a lot and this was by far the worst I have ever stayed at. Next time I go to the dells I will be going camping or staying a motel where I know I am getting what I am paying for!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Romeoville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I chose this place because of the reviews that mentioned that it was clean. This place is immaculate. My son and I came to the Dells for one day and we did not want to pay the money for a waterpark that we wouldn't have a chance to use. This Hilton was absolutely wonderful. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and professional. We were very satisfied with the room - nicely laid-out, quiet, and very clean. I also want to mention that the bed was one of the most comfortable that I ever found in a hotel and I slept better than I ever do when travelling. This place is by far one of the best places that I have ever stayed at. We were 100% satisfied!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business