“Nice hotel, Horrible housekeeping”

Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 6, 2008

We stayed here for two nights over Thanksgiving weekend while we visited family in the area. The hotel itself was very nice and some of the front desk staff were friendly. The housekeeping, however, was some of the worst I've encountered. First off, after we got settled into our room I noticed that there was only one clean towel in the bathroom. Then I noticed that the bathtub was COVERED with short black hair. Seriously, it was like a gorilla had shaved its back in there and then absconded with all but one of the towels. The bathroom floor also looked like it hadn't been cleaned. I'm not a picky person, but I had to clean the bathtub myself before I could take a shower. The rest of the room was OK as far as cleanliness goes. The next morning we slept in. When we left there were two housekeeping carts in the hallway outside our door and one male housekeeper standing next to one of the carts who watched us leave. When we returned to the hotel later that night we found that our room had never been cleaned. The bed wasn't made, no clean towels, nothing. We called the front desk and they promptly brought up some clean towels. When we checked out the next morning we told the front desk manager all about it. She offered a half hearted "sorry", but that was it. It was quite a disappointment condisdering how much we paid for the two nights and how nice the hotel looked when we checked in.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank MinnesotanIce01

Reviewed October 24, 2008

I just returned from a two-night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in the Dells. Our non-smoking room was comfortable and clean and included a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Because it is off-season, we had the pool to ourselves both mornings. Our $9.95 breakfasts were wonderful -- they included fresh fruit and other healthy choices. Our waitress was fabulous! My only complaint is that there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so the mirror fogged any time anyone showered. There were plenty of towels. The hotel location is central and there is a marvelous restaurant next door -- the Dell-Bar -- which i also recommend.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel because it was one of the few hotels in the city that belong to a hotel chain. Hotel was nicely appointed and appeared that this is where the business people would stay if anyone traveled to the area for business. I had a jucuzzi room- which I wish was a bit bigger, but it was ok. I was surprised to see a fireplace and balcony. The balcony needed to be repainted as the paint/finish was chipping off. The hotel was far enough away from the hustle and bussel of the waterparks that seemed perfect for what I was in the area for. It's only a short ride to downtown. I do have one complaint- And that would have been to put a traffic light out front- it takes FOREVER to turn either direction out of the property or to make a left turn onto the st the property is located. But the whole city has a traffic problem anyway. I felt it was a bit pricey for what we got, but I suppose the summer is the only time they make money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I just finished a three night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in the Wisconsin Dells. The hotel and staff are great. The location could not have been better. I walked to Noah's Ark Waterpark just a short distance from the hotel which I really enjoyed. I was also able to walk to the Dells Army Ducks (save your money on that one I think the Original Ducks might be better). I didn't go to the Tommy Bartlett Show but it is also within walking distance.

The Hilton Garden Inn has a great breakfast that's $9.95 if you are not a Hilton Honors member. Everything is cooked to order and they bring it to you so there's no lukewarm buffet type entrees. I enjoyed my breakfast each morning and by the last day the waitress had my order memorized and had it already placed for me when she saw me.

The rooms are typical HGI accomodations. Bed's were comfortable and I had two TV"s since I was upgraded to a suite. The pool area was nice and I enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor hot tubs each evening after long days at Noah's Ark.

The only low point of my stay was dinner at the Del Bar which I won't go into here since they did send me over a gift certificate to the hotel to make up for my less than desireable experience. Dinner at the Fields at the Wilderness Resort was fabulous. If you want to treat yourself to exceptional service and great food and are willing to spend a bit, I highly recommend the Fields!

I also went to the Broadway Dinner Theatre where I had a nice meal and enjoyed the show.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Loree L
Reviewed August 11, 2008

This hotel was perfect for myself and my teenage daughter and her friend. The indoor pool was great, plenty of chairs and tables nearby, two whirlpools near the indoor pool as well as two whirlpools outside with chaise lounges and tables. The breakfast was good, just arrive early on Sunday! The place fills up fast! Our waitress was a bit harried because of short staff, however, she was very attentive and sweet. I purchased the Noah's Ark package deal that also included the breakfast and I felt that I definately got my moneys worth! The room was clean, bed was very comfy, bathroom spotless, plenty of towels, and our room was cleaned by noon. Location was perfect as well. The staff was very friendly. Also, once we got into our room, it was so quiet I felt we were there by ourselves. Water pressure in the shower was better than mine at home! No screaming kids running around either which was a plus. Definately a good place to stay if you're looking for a relaxing, peaceful time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank peaceout1650
Reviewed August 6, 2008

With so many non-chain hotels in the area I didn't feel comfortable selecting one that I didn't recognize. I was glad I chose the Hilton Garden Inn. While many of the "no name" hotels/motels had a water park in or outside their hotel, in driving past them, I knew I made the right selection. We went to Noah's Arc anyway (which was FANTASTIC!) so we didn't need another water park at the hotel. It did have a nice indoor pool and hot tubs. We didn't eat there as I thought the food was a bit overpriced esp. when I could go across the street for something good and cheaper. The room was large and comfy and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank kiki070973
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We found out about this Hotel in the Trip Advisor Wedsite. I'm one to be very particular about cleanliness. This Hotel was definately clean! The sheets were nice & white & the pillows were super comfortable. The bathroom was very clean & I didn't feel grossed out at all.I would say this Hotel is definately for couples vs families since they don't have a very large pool. The Hotel was in the middle of everything & the location was great! It was in walking distance of Noah's Ark & all the other major attractions. Don't have anything bad to say about our stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends