“SLOW front desk”

Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel, we went directly to the front desk to check in. There was only one person working the front desk, and he was on the phone. During this 5 minute phone call, the front desk worker did not attempt to make eye contact with us once to even acknowledge that we were standing there waiting. Pretty rude. A nod or a smile would have been nice. And no apology was offered once he finally was off the phone. Why wouldn't there be more than 1 person working the front desk on a Saturday? Also, on Sunday morning when we were checking out there was again only 1 person at the front desk and we had to wait. We weren't too impressed. There are better hotels in the Dells.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you taking the time to share your stay experience with us, your feedback is of a greater value to us than you would know. I do want to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I can assure you this is not typical of the services we provide at the Hilton Garden Inn. Unfortunately we were short staff due to unforeseen circumstances; however, this is not an excuse whatsoever. I hope you would consider giving us the opportunity to serve you better next time. If there’s anything I can further assist you with please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you again and have a great week!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great stay. Hotel is maintained very well. Easy to get to. Staff was great. They have a very nice sized bar and a small restaurant. Indoor pool. Room was in great shape. Hotel is in a very nice area, a little off the main road, so very quiet. I have stayed closer to the interstate previously where the hotels aren't quite as nice and don't seem to be as relaxing. Several places to dine within walking distance as well. Very close to The Dells, if you are wanting to sightsee. I was here after Labor Day, so I can't offer any insight as to what it's like during the summer rush, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Leah H, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Midwestbiztraveler,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at the Hilton Garden. Thank you for reviewing your stay on Trip Advisor, it was nice to read all your kind comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Have a great week.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nice hotel - well worth the $108/night. Got a spacious corner room with balcony. The bed linens smelled fresh and the room was very clean. (I've stayed at too many hotels where the pillows and comforter smell like they haven't been washed in a year - but I've never had this issue with any Hilton brand hotels - their rooms/linens are always clean!) This hotel offered room service delivered by MooseJaw Restaurant. I had the broiled walleye and it was excellent!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Leah H, Front Desk at Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Hilton Brand Family of hotels. Thank you for recognizing our housekeeping department and all that they do. Have a great week.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is probably the most unique HGI I have ever stayed in, and had a great, but short stay.

Pros
I got in very late - 10:45pm or so. All other HGI bars are closed by that time, but not only was this one open, there were several customer at it. It is also the largest HGI bar I have ever seen. Angie the bartender was great. In addition to being very engaging and nice, she also found some snacks for me since I had missed supper. I think I may have got upgraded to a nicer room, but I had a gas fireplace and a walk out balcony. The indoor pool was right behind the bar and looked larger than the average HGI. It also looked like there was more than one hot tub too.

Cons
No restaurant within walking distance after 10:30 on weeknights. The room, although nice, could probably use a little remodel and a fresh coat of paint.

Overall
It's nice to see chain hotels break out of the cookie cutter mould and execute it so well. If ever I'm in the area again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Harry R,
It was a pleasure to serve you during your stay in Wisconsin Dells. We thank you for taking the time to review our property and our bar staff on Trip Advisor. We are glad to read you found our property a standout and plan on returning. Have a great week.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Nice hotel, friendly staff. Indoor pool and hot tub area clean. Outdoor hot tub area had work going on so tiles were missing on the walkway to the hot tubs. Since this is more of a "business traveler" hotel, there were no kids, so very quiet. For the price, the breakfast should be included, instead of $9.95 per person. Rooms were very sound proof. We were given a room with a balcony, but the air conditioner units were just below, so VERY noisy.

Room Tip: If you are offered a balcony room, ask for one that overlooks the pool. Much quieter on that side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you were very pleased with our hotel and staff. We do take guest reports and reviews seriously. I do want to apologize for the inconvenience due to the noise from the air conditioning unit. We do take guest concerns seriously when reported and try our best to rectify them as soon as possible by either offering to move you to a different room or having our maintenance staff handle it right away. I do apologize if none of these options were offered to you during your stay. With reference to the price of breakfast, we do have the $9.95 all you-can-eat cook to order grill and a la cart items you can purchase as well. Also for your advantage and as part of our specials and packages, we do offer the Bed & Breakfast package which has the price of breakfast being incorporated in the room rate basically charging you half price for breakfast. I hope you will find this little piece of information useful for any future bookings and would offer us the opportunity to serve you better next time. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything else I can further assist you with. Thank you again and have a great week!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was very dissapointed with your hotel and do not feel the room was worth $170 for the night. The walls and doors were chipped or had marks on them (in the hallways too), there was mold in the shower, the sink drain was clogged, the hairdryer was sticky and disgusting, the thermostat was low battery and wasn't working properly, the bed was hard and noisy, and the carpet seemed old and worn. Not Hilton standards at ALL!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
2  Thank Jessica K
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night of a guy's golf weekend and found everything to be great. The property is very nice, clean, and well staffed. The lobby has a nice bar and breakfast area and the staff was very polite and professional. Sprecher restaurant next door has good food- property is mid-strip within walking distance to Noah's Ark and Tommy Bartlett shows.
We'd stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Leah H, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Meegsman,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to read you had a great experience with us while you were here. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future. Have a great weekend.