“Average and non accommodating”

Alakai Hotel and Suites
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed in hotel for a hockey tournament. We booked 27 rooms and were treated like they had wished we had never shown up. They have a meeting room and they wouldn't rent it to us for use for some reason. The room sat empty whole weekend.

As far as the hotel itself it is below average. The rooms were clean but, toilets ran all the time, the TV's were horrible barely got any channels, the beds were rock hard very uncomfortable and to make it worse the pillows were even worse. Could have used extra pillows to but none available.

They only have coffee from 7-11 in the morning and that's it. Don't even offer tea as an alternative. Come on how much does it really cost to have a little coffee later in day.

Check out time is 10:30am which is way to early for sports teams or anyone for that matter. Some of the families tried to get a later check out because our tournament game was a little later on Sunday. They would not allow this and were very not very accommodating to help out with this. Just said no they do not allow this.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Very disappointed.

Watch out if you do decide to book a room here there cancellation policy is the worst I've seen.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave B
There are newer reviews for Alakai Hotel and Suites

Reviewed February 24, 2014

A friend and I stayed at Alakai this past weekend, he had signed up for a time share thing and THIS is where they stuck us. The exterior looks fine, but the inside was a whole other story. The moment we walked in, our nasal senses were invaded with a STRONG "your grandmother's house" potpourri smell. Not in a "oh, they're trying to make it smell good in here" sense, this was more "you'll find this odor permeating your dreams and clothes in a different timezone" stench. We go in to check in, not expecting miracles, and the woman at the desk is exceptionally rude in informing us that we must go to the visitors center first before checking in. No reason given, just barked the order and went about her business. The people at the visitor center were much nicer, and then we were able to go check in to our room. Once in our room, it smells JUST as terrible as the rest of the building, we have 2 queen beds with NO blankets (it's a cozy 11 degrees with frozen everything outside), the heater barely works and we had requested a king sized bed. My friend goes back to the desk to let her know there was a mistake and all she says is "king beds aren't included in the time-share package"; never mind when he booked the place they asked him what bed he preferred. So he comes back and tells us we are stuck with the room. The beds don't even have fitted sheets, just one sheet wrapped over the mattress, a THIN velourish looking green blanket and another sheet over top that. I asked the same front desk woman if we could have a blanket and was told "that IS the blanket". I said "that thin green looking thing is supposed to keep us warm?" and she replied "yes". The bottom 2 drawers in the dresser were also sealed shut so they could store cleaning rags in there, as opposed to the guests clothing. I was locked out of the actual hotel building at 1 am when it was about 10 degrees outside (I went to retrieve my phone charger out of the truck), there's no sign indicating that the front entrance is locked after a certain time. Luckily someone else was locked out of their room and saw me standing at the front door for about 10 minutes, and they let me in. There was NO ONE at the front desk at that time and I'm really not sure if they were able to get back into their room. This place is a PIECE of crap, the front desk attendant could use some intensive customer service courses and they need to lay off the potpourri fumes and get some actual live plants in there instead of raiding Michael's arts and crafts for fake greenery. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My family stayed at the Alakai over the holidays and we couldn't have been more pleased. We have a two year old and he was more then comfortable in their kiddie waterpark. We had fun, the room was clean and service was friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WolfpackOfDane
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Alakai 9-13-9-15 and we had another niice stay. The room was very clean and it was nice and quiet after a busy weekend in the dells for the fest. We would recommend Alakai to anyone who asked.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sunpeople1
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have now been to the Alakai hotel and we just love it. It is perfect for our little ones to play in the pools and enjoy the family experience. We have tried the other water resorts and we enjoy the fact we can enjoy our time without getting run over and splashed by unattended children. My boys love it and we save money to do all the the other attractions the Dells have to offer. We will be back for years to come.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations it was super clean and by that I mean spotless. It was very comfortable and the pools were lots of fun. I loved that it was far from all the chaos. My family and I would definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Planned on staying only 1 night and stayed 4 nights. This hotel is very clean, rooms are very comfortable and the pools are lots of fun. We planned on going to the large waterparks but after driving by them decided to go back to the Alakai. My children 8, 10 & 13 had so much fun in their outdoor pool. This is the perfect hotel for any vacation getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family