“Excellent for Families” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent for Families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Took a spring break to this facility with kids and grandkids. Had a ball. The kiddie pool had slides and toys in about 12 inch depth. Nice for the adults to take it easy and just monitor the activity. The main pool was good for laps and big kid fun. This is primarily for the little ones (2-8 years). Big kids will find that it isn't exciting enough compared to other surrounding resorts. A continental breakfast would be a nice addition, but everything is nearby including hiking and other activities. Rooms were kept nicely, and public areas were good. We were there at a not-too-crowded time. Desk personnel helpful and cooperative.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kenneth L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a single night in April 2013. It was overall OK, but the HVAC was awful. In the later afternoon upon checkin, I could not get it to warm the room up. I sat in a sweatshirt all evening. Then, overnight, the heat decided it was going to work and work and work. I got up twice to try to turn the heat down and my wife got up once.
In the morning, upon checkout, I told the manager that he needed to check the thermostat in that particular room., He accused me of lying to try to get money back. At that point my wife lost her temper. She asked if he cared that we had a bad night of sleep due to the heat problem and he said NO! I do not care. It was not a pretty sight. We will not be staying there ever again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was kind of worried after reading some bad reviews, but after five nights at The Alakai, I know those peoples reviews were just nonsense. We had a wonderful time! Everything was clean, well maintained, and the staff were lovely people. The indoor waterpark was just perfect for my granddaughters, and they couldn't get enough of it. This is a super place for a family with small children. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

you pull in hopeful as the outside looks new and well kept. Inside is like they purchased the guts of a bankrupt 1970's Holiday Inn and decorated with it. This is just a place to keep your stuff. Have no expectations and you will be ok. Old TV, old hvac (and loud), no breakfast, no pool towels.....etc. all of that is ok, except we are paying a price where normally those items are provided.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
olgachicago8, Public Relations Manager at Alakai Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is with this direct feedback that we can continue to improve our property and services offered. The Alakai Hotel & Suites was built in 4 phases. The 1st phase was built in 1996 and designed to meet the needs of guests looking for sleeping accommodations for 4 guests which included 2 queen size beds, micro/fridge. Phase 2 was built in 2001. This phase is designed for larger families and specialty rooms. In Phase 3 we added the indoor Hawaiian Village Waterpark designed for children 8 and under. Phase 4 included the Hawaiian Island Outdoor Waterpark. Each year we make an effort to make something “newer” and this year makeover will certainly showcase that. Thank you again for your comments. We do hope to see you again.
Waterloo, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Terrible place to stay! Stayed in the honeymoon sweet and the fire place didnt work. The maintenance man was very rude and blamed it on us that it didnt work. Because the people before us used it and it worked then he said. All we did was flipped the switch and it didnt come on so we called the desk. The whirlpool did not have a very nice whirl action. hardly any bubbles in the water. The desk gave us a 20 dollar crappy discount! Kids jumping on the beds at 2 in the morning. People so loud in the halls and in the room above us at 3 in the morning. The last draw was a van was skidding around the parking lot and parked sideways and almost hit our van! At 3 in the morning. I called the desk and all they said to me was o ya we know we are watching them! My husband and I packed up in the middle of the night and got out of there as fast as we could. I will never go back! Terrible!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy J
West-consin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a last minute trip to the Dells, and booked a hotel at the Hilton Garden for Friday but they were booked Saturday. My other usual choices were booked as well. Akakai was available, so I was happy.

The room smells "like an old persons home" my 11 year old daughter said. The room was clean, very clean, but I guess I expect that from a $100/night place.

the beds in our room were very uncomfortable. Hard and could feel the springs. The shower was good...hot water.

I could have spent more time finding a place. The outside looks nice. The location is great. But it just isn't a place I'd stay again. Not horrible if it was in a small town with no choices, but for the Dells there are so many other places to stay for the same price or less.

• Stayed January 2013
LaCrescent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Whenever we go to the Dells we always stay at the Alakai. The place is very clean and the owners treat us like family. Nice location and close to multiple restaurants and the mall. It's nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Would highly recommend this hotel and ignore the bad reviews they simply are not true.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.