“Exceptional Quality for the Price...Will Definitely Return”

Black Hawk Motel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We arrived in WI Dells with a group of 11 for four nights and five days. The other nine people in our party stayed at the $400/night Kalahari with repeated problems and terrible customer service. We on the other hand wanted a clean, quiet place to return to each evening without the kids (who we left at the Kalahari w/Gramma and Grandpa).

The Blackhawk did not disappoint. I'm very thankful for trip advisor or we would have never known it was even here! Dells best kept secret for sure!

The room was very clean when we walked in. There was a faint odor (like old people smell-best way to describe it) so I opened a window to let some fresh air in.

We stayed on the second floor with one king size bed. Very comfortable. The hotel is somewhat on the outskirts of town, but less than a mile from downtown. I was impressed by the clientel as well. Fellow guests drove nice cars, were well dressed, friendly and quiet.

I definitely recommed this hotel for budget travelers. The hotel is older and some of the decor is dated, but I don't want to pay for unnecessary frills. If comfort, quiet, and cleanliness are your top priorities, you can't beat this deal. We will definitely return for more lodging needs in the dells.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spadesqueen74

Reviewed August 7, 2008

In my opinion, this is an average motel. From the outside, it looks no different from the dozens of motels within 3 blocks of the Black Hawk. The rooms are average, with tiny bathrooms and 70's carpeting. It had an in-window AC unit that was fairly noisy. In sum, its a motel--with an 'M'.

The front desk was friendly. The location is just off Broadway (one of the two main strips in the Dells), a few blocks east of the main action, so its quiet without being far away from things. Most Dells hotels are located a similar distance away, so I don't see this as a unique feature of the property. And when it comes to noise, the Dells isn't like Bourbon Street at night, so I don't see this as a factor that makes it better than a hotel right on Broadway.

Overall it was a pleasant stay, and I got what I paid for...but without visiting the other properties, I have to wonder how this place is #1 on TripAdvisor (as of early August 2008). While I have nothing against this property, if the other places are so bad that this is the best place available, what does that say about lodging in the Dells?

• Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Smooth_Sluggo
BlackHawkMotel, Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2008

Thanks for your comments! I assume you must of had a queen or king budget room. Yes, these are a bit smaller rooms, but they are also smaller on price. We are a motel and don't try to portray as being the Kalahari or Sun dara. Trip Advisor ratings are based off a number of things, cleanliness, customer service, rooms, value, etc. Be assured, even though we are a motel, we are always putting money back into the place. When my Dad was 12 years old, my Grandfather told him..."son, you have to spend money to make money". Thanks again and we hope to accommodate you on your next visit to the Dells.

Reviewed August 5, 2008

We booked this hotel based on this website and were very pleased with everything. The staff was very friendly and helpful, housecleaning was second to none, and our room was perfect for us. We liked the fact that this hotel was off the busy streets as it was very quiet at night, and safe. It was short walk to the shops on broadway, where we enjoyed the afternoon by shopping and having a few drinks at a local pub. We wouldn't stay anywhere else but this place again. Why pay big dollars somewhere else when you have your car two feet away from your door, and your room is clean, and perfect??

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chateaumau
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed at the Black Hawk while on our vacation to the Dells. We found it very comfortable, accomodating and the Staff was always very friendly. It was away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag, but still within a few miles of "everything". our rating would actually fall between above average and excellent, and we highly recommend it for people NOT looking for a big, resort type motel. Thanks Black Hawk!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Newfie2008
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My family stayed here for one night in the dells. This is a no frills motel, but it is very very clean and a great location. The rooms are what you would expect for the price and have a microwave and refridge as a extra bonus. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, stay at the Hilton.

Next time we goes to the Dells we are staying here again. Its away from all the crazy traffic and is actually quite at night. I didn't hear any noise from the rooms on either side of us and there were people staying in them. We were very happy with this family run hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank lerikss
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I too was a bit leery on staying at a motel. With all the great chain hotels out there, I was worried. I didn't need to be. This motel was PERFECT! I am a big camper and I actually felt like I was camping (with better accomodations, of course, than a tent). This motel is picture perfect! The rooms were good size (we have a family of 6), everything is updated. The beds are very comfortable; staff is great! The pool and playground, etc. are all centrally located. The only issue we had was the shower head. We have a somewhat tall family with me being the shortest at 5' 8" and I had to bend down to get my head under the shower head. That's the only complaint we had and obviously it is one we could live with. This was an excellent motel and we will certainly be back next year!!! I have read a couple of bad reviews on tripadvisor regarding the Black Hawk, but we experienced nothing negative at all. I especially liked that housekeeping doesn't come pounding on your door at 7:00 - 8:00 AM. They have door hangars you put out when you want them to clean your room. It's great! I hate housekeeping wake up calls. If you want a nice, comfortable, peaceful place to stay, this is your motel! Thank you, Black Hawk, for a wonderful family vacation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Dibella32
Reviewed July 14, 2008

First off, the people that run this hotel are awesome. Very nice and accomodating, couldn't ask for better. The price was right for a weekday and weekend stay.

The hotel rooms are what you would expect for a non-resort motel in Wisconsin Dells. Older property with older rooms but with upgraded amenities like refrigerator and microwave, cable TV and new sealy beds. Indoor\Outdoor pool perfect for kids (except indoors doesn't have anything for little kids) The room was very clean and the towels and such smelled great. We knew that housekeeping works very hard and does things right.

One thing that didn't smell great was the room itself. 3 days after our stay, I am still rewashing all our clothes and items to get the moldy musty smell out. We have washed all items at least twice and still can't get it out. One problem we noticed is nothing would dry in the room, no matter how high we set the air conditioning to get the humidity out (and it wasn't that hot out). So things that were wet on Thursday were still wet on Saturday! I am sure this smell is because it is closed up all winter long and only open four months a year during the busy season. While that's all fine, it can't be good for you to be in that musty moldy smell for any extended period of time.

I sure would love to give this family our business again. As I said they were great people, but I just don't think I want to deal with this problem again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 1crzytrip
BlackHawkMotel, Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2008

Thank you for your recent stay with us, we very much appreciate your compliments and concerns.

We would of been happy to try and accommodate you and your family into a different room if available, had we known that you were having any problem whatsoever. We are closed from the months of November thru mid-April, however we have not experienced any problems because of this. However, earlier this summer, we (along with much of the state) experienced extremely heavy rain for an extended period of time, and although we feel fortunate to not have much damage, we did experience water in a section of crawl space, and when the ground is red clay, instead of sand like on most of the property, it takes longer to get the water out, so this may have produced a dampness effect at the time. However, we have worked with our local landscaper and plumber and have always been huge believers of "preventive maintenace", even though additional and usually costly expense is always involved. A musty smell in your room may have been the result of a prior guest mistakenly leaving the drain open on their cooler? This does not happen often, but it does happen, and housekeeping always informs us, they may have missed it though. When it does happen, we use a powerful fan to quickly dry the carpet. Not to change the subject, but anyone who gets water in their basement and wants to dry it quickly, we highly recommend the Tornado Downshaft Air mover, as it can dry a 400 sq. ft. room in 30 minutes or so. Comes with a price tag of over $330 though, but worth every penny.

Thank you again for your compliments and concerns and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you. We just wish you ahd given us the opportunity to fix the problem during your stay with us. We hope you visit the Wisconsin Dells Area in the near future and perhaps consider staying with us again.