“Perfect, no flas!”

Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Elkhorn, NE
“Perfect, no flas!”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I went here on vacation with my family (12yr old and 15yr old), and everyone loved it! The room was roomy, comfortable, and all of the rooms are close to the pool. I felt like I was at home! Everyone was nice and helpful at the desk, and the hotel and lobby were sparkling clean. The pools were nice, we only went to the outside one, but it was nice to have little water slides. The kids enjoyed it, and had a great time. One my favorite parts was that it was easy to find, it is right downtown, however our MapQuest directions were off about Kalahari, and we got lost. Some of the extra bonuses were things like a DVD player, a roomy room, comfy beds, and just great service! This is a must stay at.

• Liked — Can't decide, everything! Especially the value for the price!
  • Disliked — The fact that I had to leave.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank catlover101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
Sycamore, IL
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the motel for 3 nights to celebrate our first anniversary. We got the king whirlpool room, room 76, and we loved it! It was a blast from the past but everything was in great working order. I've never seen an AC unit that was so old that worked to well! The new bed was so comfy and it also seemed like the shower/tub/toilet and whirlpool were also pretty new. We loved our very large private deck outside our room. We ate dinner out there, drank and even did some sun bathing. The room had everything we needed including a nice bottle opener attached to the wall, it was very handy! The location was also great because it was close enough to town, but far enough from all the action so it was still quiet. The pools were great and very clean. We will definately stay here again!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cynnibun
Iowa
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I just got back today from the Dells. My stay in the Black Hawk was above average in regard to the how neat and clean it was. Probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. It also seemed like it had been updated recently with new bedding, carpet and curtains.
The downside was the pool. I was traveling with a five year old and he was excited about the pool but the chemicals in it were overpowering. So my husband and son only got to use it once since it had to much chlorine in it and caused major red eye.
The hotel was close to a city park which was great to take my son to (It was one block away). The park has new play equipment. So that was nice. We even were able to catch a Memorial Day parade.
But the hotel is located a little way from the Dells Parkway which has a lot of the attractions for little kids and is kind of a pain to drive through the downtown Dells area.
So this is not the hotel for you if you are looking for a pool or to be close to the parkway.
But if you do want to be close to downtown it is about eight blocks away (could easily walk if you didn't have small children). If you want a clean hotel with a good bed this is the hotel for you!

• Liked — Clean room and comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — The pool.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank icfamily
Iowa
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We keep coming back!

We have stayed here multiple times since my husband and I have been married. We love the family atmosphere. The family who owns this motel knows our family on a first name basis, and to me that means alot, I will call to book a room, and he always says "How are you doing?" It's not like those resorts, where you don't even have breathing room. It is such a layed back atmosphere, and my children love it too. They always want to keep going back. They have room types for every different family type, and they are always willing to go the extra mile for us, to help accomodate our family. I have recommended this motel to all of my family, and they have stayed and loved it too.

This is the only place we will stay in the DELLS!

• Liked — They are so willing to go the extra mile for their guests.
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank rtlanz
Nebraska
Reviewed February 8, 2008

We loved this motel! It was perfect for our 4 yo daughter and 15 month son. As a child of the 70's, it was just like it stepped out of my memory from childhood family road trips. It was incredibly clean and well maintained. The family who owns and maintains the motel was wonderful! The rooms are generous in size, awesomely clean, interesting decor (right down to the wall ac unit that works great), and many amenities for the kids. Although we were less then impressed with the overall experience of the Dells, the Black Hawk Motel was wonderful. During our stay we also enjoyed the drive in theater and horse back riding, both just miles from the location of this motel. Very recommened! Wish we could take this motel along with us for our upcoming family vacation. Thanks Black Hawk!

• Liked — 70's theme and the outstanding cleanliness
  • Disliked — It's in the Wisconsin Dells - not a huge fan of this area
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank familyroadtrips
Toronto
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I've stayed here twice, once in May 2006, and more recently in September 2007. Both times the place was quite nice and, though some of the furnishings are slightly outdated, a very quaint little family-run motel.

The rooms are quite large, featuring a wall-mounted air conditioning unit, a fridge and a microwave, as well as a DVD player. TV has plenty of channels, though the remote had no way to change channels other than using an up/down button, which gets tedious with the large selection of channels.

There's a playground central to the U-shaped building, as well as an enclosed pool and arcade, and a rooftop patio. The location is far enough away from the main strip of the Dells as to be quiet, and close enough that many of the town's shops are within walking distance.

All in all, I quite enjoyed the time I've spent in the Dells, and a large part of that is thanks to the Black Hawk Motel. I sound like a commercial, but I'd definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Location, rooms
  • Disliked — Lack of wireless internet access
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank 307
mn
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Black Hawk for 2 nights while in the Dells. We booked hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and were a bit disappointed. This motel does not reflect the #1 or #2 ranking out of all of the places in the Dells. It is a basic motel that is outdated. We would not stay here again and would pay a bit more for a nicer room.

Pros- Cheap rate. Quiet room.

Cons- Strong musty smell. Damp, dirty carpet.

• Liked — low rate, quiet room in our section of the motel
  • Disliked — strong musty odor, and damp, dirty carpet
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MnAlicia
BlackHawkMotel, Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this review, September 23, 2008
Thanks for your comments. We would of been happy to move you to another room if there was any problem what so ever. Our room rates do not portray someone we are not, and be assured that we are always putting money back into the place. I bet that you stayed in a room on the hill as you said the room was outdated, with paneling I assume? We have remodeled 8 rooms during the winter of 2008, to put it simply, we are getting rid of the paneling around here and after a very busy 2008 season, we have purchased our own carpet extractor to clean the carpet as needed. We are just to busy to wait to clean the carpet until late October when we close each year. Thank you!