“Excellent place to stay, very helpful staff, amazing value”

Black Hawk Motel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
London
“Excellent place to stay, very helpful staff, amazing value”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

A group of 13 of us stayed here (6 rooms) during a road trip from Chicago to Vancouver. We were able to book adjacent poolside rooms.

We were impressed at the quality and facilities for such a low price. There's an indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub and a little games room. Free internet access. The staff were extremely helpful and patient with our many questions.

This place is in the east of "downtown" Wisconsin Dells, about 7 or 8 blocks from most of the town's attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
BlackHawkMotel, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Making a road trip across the country with friends and family is a great experience and we're glad we were a stop on your road trip. To some people the word MOTEL is associated with a dump, outdated, run down, dirty, unmaintained. We're really happy you were impressed with the Black Hawk MOTEL. We believe in providing a clean, well maintained property, with comfortable beds, many amenities and great customer service....all while offering this at a reasonable price. Thanks for visiting w/ us and for your review, we hope you to see you again! We also hope to someday visit London and the rest of the great UK! Cheers! Brad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went on vacation for Labor Day weekend 2012 and had originally booked a room at My Olympus, however after booking I found some very, very negative feedback for them. So I canceled that reservation and then booked a room at Black Hawk Motel.... that was a very good thing I did!

I checked into Black Hawk and was greeted by a friendly lady at the front desk. Check in was easy and quick. I went to my room and although it's a little outdated, it was super clean. I was surprised how clean the room was being a motel. I normally avoid motels, but since Black Hawk was rated number 1 on Tripadvisor I decided to take a chance. Granted the room isn't as trendy as a 5 star resort would be, the room was very comfortable and clean so I was happy.

The first night was good, but then on our 2nd night at about 3am I was woken up by very loud music, loud voices and lots of noise outside our room. I looked out the blinds and saw a group of people a couple rooms down drinking beer and partying loud. I then called the front desk, where the owner answered and told me he would take care of it. Well not even 2 minutes later the owner was over by the people and had called the cops. The cops came very quickly and quieted the group of people down. Although it did interrupt my sleep, the way the owner handled it was outstanding and made up for my lack of sleep. I've stayed at many luxury resorts and hotels and have had a couple issues and none of the staff at those places have ever been as friendly and professional as the owner was at Black Hawk.

I had no other problems the rest of my vacation. I highly, highly recommend staying at the Black Hawk. I'm giving 5 stars on everything the motel offers, except the rooms quality only because of it being slightly outdated. Otherwise this is a wonderful spot to stay when visiting the Dells!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronnie980
Thanks for your positive feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We're glad that you found room #42 (Budget - 1 double bed) to be clean and comfortable. We soon have plans to upgrade this room w/ a flat screen tv, larger fridge and perhaps different lighting among other things. Our guests are really an extension of our staff and I really appreciate you calling me well after 3 am. I had these guests on my radar and they were warned to be quiet when they first came home. They apparently didn't read our website which states "Parties and Profanity will not be tolerated, quiet hours strictly enforced". I told them that they can disrespect me all they want, but don't disrespect other guests paying to sleep...and btw...the police are on the way and this is not a party motel. They were nice guests, other than the fact that they weren't quiet when they came home. Thank you for choosing to stay with us over the large mega water park resort and for taking the time to write us a review. We hope to see you on your next visit to the Dells. Sincerely, Brad
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was part of a group of 14 British road-trippers (aged 18 months to 36 years old) who stayed here en route to Seattle.

At the end of our trip, our posse awarded Wisconsin Dells with the title 'The best place in the world. Ever'. The quality of the Black Hawk Motel was one of the reasons for this.

- The rooms were just what we needed (clean, decent beds, good bathrooms, etc).

- The price was excellent.

- But the thing that shone out for me was the friendliness of the lady at the front desk who looked after us (I'm really sorry that I don't remember her name now). Questions about local go-karting to "Where can we find a Green Bay Cheese-head" (the answer's the local Wal-mart) were answered helpfully and with a big smile.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

Oh, and my friend is now wearing his Cheese-head in London with pride :-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wow!!! The thought that all of you have awarded Wisconsin Dells the best place ever and we have contributed to this makes us proud! Thanks for staying with us and making the Dells one of your many stopovers during your road trip. My wife Tena helped you with your questions and she immediately told me with a smile that you were on a mission to find a Cheesehead....and that is simply awesome!!! Have your friend wear that Cheesehead with pride as the Green Bay Packers are the only publicly owned professional sports team! Here is Wisconsin, we bleed Green n Gold...but we also like Bears and Vikings fans! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and we hope to see you on your return visit to the States, perhaps for a mulitiple night stay. Cheers! Brad
Plymouth, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was the second year we stayed at the Black Hawk in the same room. The room is always clean and well kept. Maid service every morning was perfect. The indoor swimming pool is a very nice feature and the whirlpool was very relaxing. The motel is located just a few blocks from all the downtown activities and attractions. (very convenient) We are looking forward to booking our 2013 trip to "The Dells" at the Black Hawk Motel once again! Thanks Brad & Tina. See you next year. ~~~Ron & Janie~~~

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Ron and Janie! We are loving that you have now joined one of our many repeat guests! Next year, be sure and ask us for room #24 and we'll be sure and try to get you reserved in the same room again. We'll be sure and keep the indoor pool open late as always (11:30 pm) and we do have another, more private whirlpool located right next to our office. In 2013 we will again be offering the Free Chula Vista Water Park tickets and many other attraction and restaurant savings offers. Have a great fall and winter season and Thank You for taking the time to write us a review! See you in 2013! Sincerely, Brad and Tena
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We didn't realize when searching for hotels in the Dells that only the Dells city limits applied. So, when the Blackhawk showed up #1, we booked. We weren't sorry, but it is a '50s motel, room size-wise, bathroom size-wise, extensively renovated, with new fixtures, beds, carpets. Great value for what we got.
Later in our trip when leaving town to the south, we realized all the familiar chains, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc are south of the town limits and don't show up in a search of the Dells unless you look in the "area" outside.
I would certainly stay at the Blackhawk again, especially if being in the center of town and walking distance to everything was important. But if you wish a more modern lodging look south of town, there's about a 3 mile corridor with every known motel chain to mankind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing Black Hawk Motel and it's nice to hear that you would stay with us again. We are family owned and operated since 1945 and the majority of our rooms were actually built in the 60's, 70's and 80's. We feel that we and many of the other independent properties can compete with the hotels chains. In fact, many independents are rated highly on Trip Advisor, so we're glad that you gave us a chance to accommodate you instead of searching more in depth for one of the many chains in the area. We're glad you liked your extensively remodeled room and please check our web site for our 30 different room types and detailed room descriptions. Thanks for taking the time to write us a review and we hope to see you again soon! Truly, Brad
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at Blackhawk from Monday August 27 thru Friday August 31.

Our room: (we had two double beds) was great- immaculately clean with some of the most comfortable motel beds I've ever encountered. The fridge/micro/counter/bar sink are was a wonderful thing, as we always bring lost of food from home to save money on family trips. The ceramic tile in the bathroom was cool (literally and figuratively).

Amenities: awesome. The retro arcade was fun for us and the kids. The pools were super clean and beautifully kept, as were the hot tubs (really like the separate hot tub on its own off the office- nice way to get some hot tub time without all the kiddos around). We used the outdoor grill area, and that was nice as well.. love those round chairs! Wish we could find some for our patio area!

Have to add a note about the parking, too. It's so nice to have your own reserved parking spot right in front of your room door.

We used the extras that came with the room, like the Chula Vista passes and the Dells Fun Card. Really helps take a little of the edge off the Dells expenses.

So, yes, we loved the place, as many others seem to. Pride of ownership really shows here. My husband and I will be looking into returning for a few days in one of the jacuzzi suites :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WiscoVacay
It sounds like all aspects of your stay were wonderful and that is great to hear! Our rooms w/ 2 double beds is a popular room choice for many years. They are recently remodeled and we choose to add bar sinks in all these rooms to increase guest satisfaction. I'll be sure and pass your comments on to our good friend and flooring specialist..."Chet the Tile Guy". He has the philosophy that if you just install tile square, then it's just tile, and we agree. He likes to install it in many patterns and borders, which gives it so much more character. Glad you join all our other guests and like the reserved parking at your door. We appreciate that you notice our pride in ownership! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Our king balcony jacuzzi suites are recently remodeled (we like #76 the best) and we were blown away by the tile work in these rooms and we hope you can see it soon! Sincerely, Brad
Arcadia, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Excellent place to stay, rooms are clean, very friendly staff, grounds kept clean, and very reasonable prices. Bathrooms were renovated. Wi-Fi is a nice plus. The only downfall is that the rooms are on the small size, but for the price, one should be able to live with that for a day or two. The motel is also in walking distance to the downtown area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kenneth T
BlackHawkMotel, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello Ken, Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us, it is very much appreciated. We agree, a few of our budget rooms, like the one you reserved are a bit small on size. However, like you stated they are also small on price ($44 / night). We offer 30 different room types to choose from with room sizes up to 1300 sq. feet, all offer fridge, microwave, dvd/cd player, free Wi Fi, high pressure shower head, hairdryer, Sealy Encore Plush Bed and Reserved Parking at your door. Also included are Free Water Park Passes, Par 3 Golf, Free Dells Fun Card, and other restaurant and attraction coupons. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again for writing us a review and have a great fall and winter season! Sincerely, Brad