“Perfect relaxation” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Westport, Wisconsin, United States
“Perfect relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was our first time overnighting at Sundara; my wife had spent a glorious day with her sister here a couple of years ago. We had one of the more modest rooms, but it had all we needed and we bathed, hung out, ate, and slept well there.

Food was fine: well prepared and ample, especially the "free" buffet breakfast for overnighters. No real need for lunch; even hearty males could get by till dinner with a salad.

The spa is well thought-out. The "purification ritual" is a series of showers and baths at different temperatures. It's guaranteed to relax you -- and it doesn't cost anything if you're spending the night. The outdoor pool was closed because it was below zero for most of the time we were there, but the outdoor hot tub was open and surprisingly enjoyable: the deck is heated, the railing had a bit of ice on it, but the water was a perfect temperature.

Overall, a treasure.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Sundara is a first rate getaway!! We went with another couple and thoroughly enjoyed our stay which included lounging throughout the spa and hotel in a huge soft comfortable robe and slippers, enjoying the outdoor heated pool and hot tub in the middle of December, and going through the "bath ritual" multiple times. Sundara is a must-do for all couples - winter or summer.

Room Tip: All rooms include a fireplace and a 8 Jet BodySpa shower. Most rooms also include a whirlpool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I went on a mini honeymoon get-a-way. It is a small place to be for a weekend. They try to get you to spend as much money as possible. There were hidden charges and they try to get you to pay extra when checking out for massages. We had a package deal which included a "picnic" lunch. They were not going to honor it upon our arrival and acted like they didn't even know what it was. Luckily, I had the paperwork with me in the car along with everything we paid for in advance.
A lot of the guests even seemed very stuck-up, which I understand the staff has no effect on but it still mattered. When you get to your room, everything on-top the COUNTER is EXTRA. They try to charge you for it, even in the bathroom. There was a package in the bathroom that we were about to open and they there was a small note stating if the package was opened we would be charged. We paid OVER $1,000 for a two days there. You would think when you spend that much the food and bathroom supplies would've been free. NO, they are not. The ropes and shoes they gave me were a men's size and we had to go down to get smaller ones. Even though they asked us our sizes when we booked the package.
We actually wanted to get away from the spa because we felt so confined. Which we thought was very odd since we were suppose to be relaxing. We wanted to go to get some food, size everything was so outrageously priced. We went down to the front desk to ask for a ride, since they offer free a car to guests. They wanted to know why we were leaving and not staying "on-campus" at the spa. My husband and I looked at each other, thinking, why does it matter to you, and why would we need to tell you? We were hungry and wanted some real food, after driving all the way from Nebraska the last thing we wanted was a salad wrap. The spa doesn't allow anything more than lounge chairs, a pool and hot tub. For a weekend, it gets old pretty fast, even though we were looking forward to the massages we scheduled. My husband was upset with how small the room was, I didn't think it was that small, but when he talked to them at the spa, they explained it much differently. One night we tried taking a shower and it was so uncomfortable. We didn't have any soap in the room, which was very odd and housekeeping never replaced it?
Upon check-out, the lady was surprised we were leaving already, early in the morning (we couldn't wait to leave). He told her he would stay for the remainder of the day if he knew what he would be charged for and if he knew what the actual "package" included.
I felt sorry for my husband because he went through all this work planning this mini get-a-way. He felt like he disappointed me, even though I tried to make light of things. He felt like he spent so much money and we got little for it. I don't know about you but $1,200.00 for 2 days is a lot of money for us to have such a bad experience.
Needless to say we won't be going back to this place. We have no good memories here and only recommend this place if you plan on paying a huge amount of money for small room, bird food, and being so lazy for 2 days you go insane. By the way, they don't let you use any electronics. They annoying ladies at the front will remind you of all this. With today's day in age I would expect a thousand times better of a place. I'd recommend going anywhere else.
I'm not one to ever complain, but I'm hoping by writing this that I can help others be as discouraged as we were.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 24Ash24
Marinette, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

It's freezing cold here in Wisconsin.....however my 2 girlfriends and I decided to head down to the spa for a 3 day getaway. We were not disappointed one tiny bit. The spa is friendly, clean & beautiful in every way. Hard to believe we are in Wisconsin. All three of us were entirely satisfied with our spa package. We stayed in a luxury suit.....very open concept. I do need to add while the beds were super comfortable....the furniture overall was very stiff! I think we would surely stay here again. Oh and the food...super healthy and very tasty!!! I believe a September getaway would be a perfect time so we could utilize all the outdoor quiet offerings from Sundara!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Room Tip: I would stay in an cottage in the woods for more privacy...but in the winter...stay in the spa area...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was our (my wife and I) 6th time staying at Sundara. We always stay in the beautiful Vihaara suite overlooking the pool. We loved the food, the spa treatments, the service and staff. We have stayed over the summer months and in December...both being truly wonderful and peaceful experiences for us. This last trip did not disappoint. We spent three nights at sundara during the week between Christmas and New Years. The friendliest staff ever...they are wonderful. Some suggestions that we forgot to mention during checkout: we stayed in room 2206.. We loved the updates, but 2 of the jets in the tower shower didn't work...that's it for our room, but having recliner chairs by the tv would be great! Nice job on sprucing up the breakfast buffet area with all the flowers and nice plants...it makes a big difference. We are lifelong fans of sundara! We wish we could own stock in the spa. We rave to all our friends and family about sundara! Keep up the good service and peaceful vibe! It works! We will definitely keep coming back to this little piece of heaven! See you soon!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank harry p
WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was so excited to spend my birthday night at Sundara Inn & Spa because I heard all these wonderful things about the place. It is a very nice hotel and spa. But a few things left us feeling a little disappointed about our experience though.

1. When we were checking in, the check-in staff were dealing with a call from a guest. We overheard the whole conversation as we were checking in. The Millers were not happy with the view from their room. They talked to two different staff members and eventually the manager had to take the call (this all happened as we were checking in). Well the Millers must have been pushy enough because the manager upgraded their room from an executive suite to a luxury suite (two room grades up). We got to hear all about and this was hard to hear. So the way to get a free upgrade is to be pushy with the front desk staff? It made us upset to hear them get a free upgrade, when the person checking us in did not even ask why were there or what we were celebrating. Maybe we should have been pushy to get a free upgrade too. But that's not the kind of people we are.

2. We scheduled massages that afternoon. And while relaxing in the Relaxation room, I was looking at a pamphlet of all of the services. And I decided I wanted to add on a scalp massage at the end of my massage (add-on option). So I went out to the front desk and talked to manager (remember I know what she looks like from overhearing the Miller's conversation). She said since my husband and I were sharing a room for our massage, the only way to add this on is for him to get that too and she would have to see if the staff were willing to stay to do this.... Well, he did not want that added. She was not very nice about it, and instead was awkward about me trying to add this on. I was pretty disappointed.

Lastly, the pillows were pretty terrible. Very, very flat. We called and asked for more pillows. I had to sleep with 3 of them to get myself comfortable. I recommend asking for firmer pillows when you check in.

The spa facility is nice and beautiful. And it is a relaxing time.

I am just not sure we will be rushing back. It's pretty expensive and for that kind of money I was expecting better service.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Premier room. It was nice and average room. Don't expect great views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cleewallace
wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I expected better. This spa, like almost everything in the dells, is overpriced and being done on the cheap. The robes are pure polyester so stay wet...no luxurious terry cloth here. The food is processed and tasteless. The room had a curtain separating the bath from the bedroom. If your companion takes a poop you'll get to experience it as well. There are way too many people enjoying the Purifying Bath Ritual, Quiet Room and pools. The setting is gorgeous and maybe a villa would be worth it at a slow time of year.

Green Features: There are signs everywhere begging you to conserve towels...might be reasonable if the robes were at all absorbent but as soon as they get wet, they stay wet.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends