“Repeat visit”

Sundara Inn and Spa
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had previously written a review about being disappointed with my stay. I was encouraged to return and we did for our anniversary. Things were better and it we were able to relax more this time. It is better to visit during the week when there are less people around. I did appreciate that the Spa responded to my concerns.

Room Tip: if you can afford an upgrade the screened in porches are nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sundara Inn and Spa

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were given a gift of a night at Sundara and we LOVED it! From the moment we arrived, we were treated like very valuable guests. Our check in was welcoming and warm. Our room was immaculate, posh and very comfortable. The in room bath and shower were incredible and the spa area was wonderful. We LOVED the morning breakfast and our services were outstanding! We aren't the type to SPA often, but this treat was unforgettable!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I do really like Sundara, but I just cannot get over how disappointing the "spa breakfast" is and how the quiet spaces are becoming less and less quite, mostly due to daytrippers. Every time I visit Sundara I think "this visit will be the one, the breakfast will finally be revamped," but no, that's never the case. The sausage and pancakes are all around disgusting, why bother serving them. The dairy and bread items are cheap and, I've said this time and time again, a spa that boasts "green practices" and "culinary delights" should really offer local, organic food and the breakfast offerings are neither. Some examples . . Cinnamon Toast Crunch, a large container of Dannon yogurt plopped into ice for guests to scoop yogurt from, cheap, cheap english muffins, weak coffee, among other disappointments. Sundara, you really need to get your act together. With rates running several hundred dollars and services well north of $100, I expect a quality spa breakfast.
Also frustrating are the masses of daytrippers clogging up the once quite and relaxing common areas. Is it really appropriate to offer full use of facilities to clients who say, only book a pedicure? It's pretty easy to drop $500 at Sundara once you tally up a one-night stay, spa service and dinner. So yeah, I have a problem sharing the bath ritual and pool with people who aren't overnight guests. As a company you've made the decision to not offer basic toiletries in the room, rather you mount shampoo, conditioner and body wash containers on the shower wall, you probably did this as a cost savings measure, I get that, but again, I have a problem sharing facilities with people who aren't spending the night and benefit from everything I'm paying for, yet I can't even toss a hotel-sized bottle of shampoo in my bag when I leave.

Room Tip: I always request a room away from the breakfast area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank uwred1
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have been here before and had to cancel a reservation today a month in advance and they charged a $30 processing fee. Way to annoy a decent customer...will think twice about going back due to this insulting, backwards, customer-punishing policy. Had just recently purchased a $500 package as a gift for a family member there too....Really is it worth it to you people to lose business over a stupid "policy" like this?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank IDWTH
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The pool area was so crowded there was no place to sit. The bar/wait staff in the pool area were rude and acted like they were being bothered if you ordered something. The spa services were very nice, but overpriced, which we expected. The "quiet" area, is anything but. It is a main traffic area. The rest of the hotel staff were excellent and very accommodating. Our room was very nice and clean.

1  Thank JoP436
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been to several spas and this one is, by far, the best when it comes to treatments! The staff is well-trained and believe in the healing properties of the selected treatments. The treatment rooms are clean, quiet, mood-setting with quality spa music and low lighting. The meditation room is an added bonus. After a treatment, you can go to a quiet space to continue the experience with tea, water, coffee, fruit, and granola. The outdoor pool is fabulous with warm water that you can swim in all day long and never get cold! We ate lunch outside next to the pool and found the food to be very tasty and well-priced. The beds were very comfortable with real feather pillows and down comforters! I agree with some of the other reviewers in that the solitude of the spa seems to be diminishing as I have been a frequent costumer for many years and noticed this year that there was a loud groups that will crushed the "zen-like" experience with loud conversations with no regard to the purpose of a spa or why people chose to stay there rather than a regular hotel. My hope is that the management can reign this in with some type of informative introduction to those booking reservations. The purpose of the spa needs to be clearly stated on the website, on all correspondence, and during the welcome tour. It's an expensive place to stay at and having a group of loud-talkers shattering the experience is going to drive regulars away.

1  Thank ilovebeets2012
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I spent one night ( a Wednesday night) with three friends for my 50th birthday. Our room was very nice and most of the staff was exceptional. We asked for a table and chairs in our room - which they promptly supplied for us. Our biggest issue was the pool area and staff. There weren't ANY chairs available. We never knew if the chairs were open even though they had dirty towels on them. We finally asked one of the staff members inside - and she cleared a few chairs for us. The bar staff was awful. I couldn't believe how rude they were. I ordered a flirtini, tasted it and asked for a splash of cranberry juice - to which she replied "these drinks are strong, you know." Then rolled her eyes and put some juice in my glass. That was the last drink I ordered.
We would probably go back but maybe during the off season.

4  Thank emmacbaker