“A good review...”

Ranked #60 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wi
“A good review...”
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I'm not one to write reviews, but in this case, I think this hotel is getting a bad wrap, from our viewpoint anyways. We stayed there in May. Didn't look at the reviews at that time, but with a rate of $65 or so that included Mt Olympus passes for all of our guests, we couldn't go wrong. BUT, I was still hesitant since it was so affordable thinking that something would be wrong. We took our own bed sheets and towels 'just in case', but everything was fine. Sure, maybe it's not as glamarous as other hotels in the area, but for what you pay for, it was good. We stayed in the Royal Whirlpool Suite and was pleastantly surprised. The room was clean and we had no problems.
Then we decided to go again this past month and I wanted to look around for other hotels and started reading the reviews. I was appalled by what people put on here because we didn't have that experience at all. So i thought maybe we got lucky by having everything go so well, but after our recent 2nd trip (again to the Royal Whirlpool Suite, it was great for us. We had no problems with the cleanliness or anything like that. Everything was clean. We didn't have a kitchen in the room, and that's where a lot of the negative comments are coming from. But we had no problems and it was a great trip. They did just redo the pool (we didnt' see the original one) but it looks fine. Just a plain pool; nothing for the kids, but they have the outside area in the summer. I think next time we will try another hotel that includes Mt Olympus passes as well just for something different, but I would definately recommend that style of room with the disclaimer to not expect a 4 star hotel, but something where you will be comfortable with spending the reasonable fees for staying there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Elmhurst, Il
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I booked this hotel after looking at it on line. Looks are deceiving. This hotel/motel was the dirtiest we have ever seen. It was suppose to have been renovated but we believe they went right over the mold and dirt. Our son has allergies and I thought we were going to have to take him to the emergency room he was so bad. We could not wait to leave. We tried to avoid the motel as much as possible. The rug was filthy. The stove still had bacon from some previous guest (not necessarily the last guest). We had planned on cooking and eating at the motel but changed our minds and ate out. I would not recommend this motel to my worst enemy. I rate this motel less than 1. A big fat 0

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank needlepoint

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed August 30, 2009

OK, first if you don't believe this review, please inspect the rooms beforehand. I have stayed 25+ times in Wisconsin Dells. This is the bay far worst Motel yet. They call the rooms-"Whirlpool Family Suites" What a crock. Rooms are unfinished, they claimed "renovated", dirty, parts falling off of things. Fridge did not work, power outlets did not all work, and were crickets and ants in room. Don't do it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank seanyy11
wisconsin
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I wanted to go to the Dells for our anniversary. Most of the hotels are quite spendy and since this one was newly remodeled we decided to take a chance.

Bathroom:
No working cold water
mold on shower curtain
light bulb out
mold on the ceiling
thick white soap scum on shower shelves

Wet Bar:
Coffee Maker Dirty

Room:
Fruit Flies
Non smoking room (yeah right saw a maintenance man next door smoking a cigarette and blowing the smoke everywhere)
Nonfunctioning light

Staff:
Am staff- requested a new shower curtain and pillows. Stated they'd be delivered to our room. Pillows never came. Maid service cleaned our room, but never changed the shower curtain.
Pm staff- requested pillows again and to have the shower curtain replaced. She said that maintenance was gone for the evening and that if the mold was a big deal just to shower with the curtain open and then its the staffs fault if water gets all over and ruins the bathroom since they never replaced the curtain.

All of this was reported on check out. Not one thing was done to make up for our terrible stay. Infact the staff at the desk said oh would you be interested in staying with us again? No thank you! Beware and stay away.

After calling and speaking with the manager. No discount was applied to our account nor was anything offered. She did thank me for calling and letting them know so they can fix the problems. But from the look of the other reviews it doesn't look like they are very interested in fixing any of their problems.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sakracht
Iowa
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I called the motel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and asked them questions. I was told they were remodeling and it would have all granite counter tops, ceramic tile, new carpet and all the wallpaper was being taken off and the walls would all be newly painted and all new furniture. Also that there was a nice pool for the kids. She said that the reviews were bogus and that if those people were so unhappy they could have left after the first night. Well when we arrived they charge the entire amount before you check in. I still tried to find another place but at that time it was impossible to find something of this size. I called 2 weeks before the stay and was told it was completely finished. When we arrived it looked run down but we thought the inside would be better. They painted over the wallpaper, the wall registers were falling off the wall and rusted. There was mold and mildew in the showers, the hall mirror was broken, a headboard was hanging over the bed and not hooked to the wall, the door knobs were falling apart, there were no lamps and half the light bulbs were missing, all the windows and mirrors were filthy, there was no lock on the patio door and more. We complained and came home from our day to find one bedroom hadn't been cleaned, there were no sheets for the sofabed and the shower had not been cleaned. The desk staff was pleasant and tried to help but we were told the cleaning people couldn't speak English and they had trouble getting them to do the work. We asked about the place not being redone and got excuses on that. The pool was 1 foot deep except at the end of a little slide where it was 3 ft 4 in!! We rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom with kitchen and living area that was moldy and we ended up with 3 sick kids. After all we put up with all we could get out of a $1000 stay was a $100 credit. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

3 Thank IowaRetiredtraveler
Iowa
Reviewed July 27, 2009

So what can I say, I read all the reviews before I booked the room. I gave Riviera the 'benefit of the doubt' several reviews were from years ago, then I read some updated ones, and saw that they had "renovated" the rooms, HOW CAN I GO WRONG WITH 'BRAND NEW ROOMS?" when we pulled in to the parking lot, my 11 year old said, "Come on, stop playing, we're not staying here??" Well I knew the exterior wouldn't be the greatest, I called and talked to both a front desk clerk, and then on a seperate day I spoke to the manager. I asked them both, if the room that I was renting would be in the BRAND NEW building as they had told me there was a BRAND NEW building and rooms were very nice, with new pool. Well, I had 5 kids and a husband to accomodate. We arrived before we could check in. The 1st night was already paid for and when we arrived, they took my credit card immediately and charged the 2nd night - #1) ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE ROOM 1ST!!! BEFORE PAYING - have you ever heard of a hotel charging your card the minute you arrive, usually they swipe it for the file, but the money actually was deducted from my account that moment. I'm used to being charged after we check out. We went to MtOlympus to play. At 3:30 is when our room was to be ready, so my husband went to get the keys and check in officially. He came and told me that it was probably not what I expected. So, me and kids left MtOlympus to go see the room. GHETTO!!!!:
1) One bed for kids was totally BROKE- swamped in the middle I'M NOT EXAGGERATING!
2) other bed broke also, but not quite as bad
3) NOT BRAND NEW ROOM
4) brand new bathroom tub, maybe new carpet, but other than that, NOTHING NEW ABOUT IT!
5) The stove was only about 1.5ft x 1.5ft, the smallest ghetto stove with FOIL wrapped around the burners!
6) The whole reason I chose a CHALET was because it had a kitchen and was BRAND NEW - NOT HARDLY!
7) the TV was not flat screen and the one in the kids room look like it came from a garage sale - not flat screen either
8) the set up of the room was so AWKWARD! and the DECOR WAS FUGLY UGLY!
9) Nothing matched at all - the furniture was gross looking, I wouldn't have wanted to sit on it
10) the curtain was hanging - like some kids had hung from it like monkeys!
TO PAY $194 for the 1st night and $238 for the second night WAS NOT CUTTING IT!!!
When you are told that something is BRAND NEW, and you call to make sure - and you show up and they STICK YOU IN AN OLD ROOM, makes you feel like the joke is on you. The manager should have noted to be sure to place me in a brand new room since I'd called. I heard several other complaints from guests. A lady had her honey moon there for a WEEK - she was in new building, but still dissappointed. Another lady and her sister were in the old building and NOT HAPPY! One lady was going OFF after driving 7hours from Ohio or somewhere and she was PISSED at the condition of the motel and the pictures were deceiving on the website. They had to juggle so many peoples rooms around it wasn't even funny!
So, to turn all this around, after I explained that my expectations were not met, and I'd stay the one night in the room because the bathroom was nice, and there wasn't a refund on the first night, I told them I wouldn't stay a 2nd night for $238, they worked with me. However, the manager wasn't on site. They had to call her. She said we could UPGRADE to the suite above their front desk (in old building still) for an EXTRA $50 PER NIGHT! was she SMOKIN' CRACK! why would I want to pay $100 EXTRA for my inconvenience of being told something was new and it wasn't??? I VIEWED THE GRAND SUITE - IT SUCKED TOO! EVERYTHING IN OLD BUILDING SUCKS!!!
So, I said no, put me in the new building if you can. So, they put me and husband in one King Suite and 5 kids in another King Suite with 2 rollaway beds, which is all they had left and that was better than staying in the chalet! so we stayed there both nights. BOTH ROOMS WER NEW! HOWEVER, they must have been incomplete. We didn't have any chairs in the rooms. The kids had 1 fold-a-way chair, not the chair shown in the picture. Kids had no comforter, they had to go find one and it was an old one from the prior decor of old building. We didn't have any chairs. We didn't have a lamp on both sides of the beds, the kids had no pictures or curtains in their room. The kids brand new tv DVD player wouldn't play their movies. There was NO IRON, NO HANGERS to hang up anything, just NOT UP TO PART - EVEN THOUGH BRAND NEW. The room didn't even have a full length body mirror, and the type of blinds are a poor choice, you can't see out if you want to. The housekeeping didn't even know how to make beds, covers and blankets kind of thrown on it. The room didn't smell bad, but it didn't smell FRESH like it had been cleaned. It looked clean because it's new, but the type of decor is good for hiding dirt. For a King room, we had only 2 little standard sized pillows to fight over. The staff and the hotel overall is just UNPROFESSIONAL LOOKING. The layout of the hotel/motel is just all wrong! HOWEVER, THE GOOD POINTS:
1) They at least moved us to a room to accommodate us, it's hard to get a room for 7 on short notice with a kitchen during peak season at the dells.
2) The OUTSIDE POOL IN THE PICTURE is smaller than the web shows, not very deep water, BUT IT'S HEATED!!!! with the temperature being crappy and MtOlympus wave pools were FREEZING, the best time I had in the water was at Riviera because the water was at least 75-80degrees and the outside hot tub was hotter yet! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE OUTSIDE HEATED POOL - THAT WAS A VERY NICE PERK! The kids LOVED THAT!
3) I BROUGHT MY GRIDDLE to cook breakfast, hotdogs, and brats, and if I hadn't I would have had a lot of WASTED FOOD without a kitchen. At least the King Suites had a Sink, Refrigerator, Microwave, so that worked out otherwise, I'd be VERY UPSET about that too.
I just would not recommend anyone stay here. This is the WORST looking - nothing inviting about pulling up into the driveway to stay here. They need more time to get it together, maybe in a year or so, they will come along, but right now, they are just out to get your MONEY! They know they are half-stepping on the rooms and service. I gave them a chance, I felt for the underdog, but that's how they treated me. They could have avoided all of my negative comments if they had of put me in A NEW CHALET to begin with. I was inconvenienced and STRESSED out because I had to explain to my family why I chose this place, plus we brought their friends along. It was embarrassing. We own timeshares at the Wilderness, but couldn't get in as it's PEAK time. I don't even think they CARED to satisfy my needs. They moved me to another room to shut me up, the clerk was nice, but had this been a HOTEL they might have offered me FREE DINNER or a percentage off my room, or something for my inconvenience. I'm just glad to be home in my beautiful home. I usually don't stay somewhere that is LESS than my home. I always try to UPGRADE when I'm on vacation, I want to feel luxury when I'm on vacation! Just don't bother giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's just not worth your time. I spent about 2hours of my vacation searching for a better hotel room. Then I was so stressed after seeing what I'd paid for, that I couldn't thouroughly enjoy the rest of my day. AGAIN, JUST SKIP THIS HOTEL - sorry, but it's just not worth it - $50/per night is all I'd pay for this type of motel and that's for the NEW rooms. They need to just burn down the OLD ONES!

5 Thank RapidsIowa
St Louis, MO
Reviewed July 22, 2009

The Web pictures are very deceiving!---Don't stay here---there are plenty of hotels available for the same price that are much, much nicer.
The outside of the hotel is in bad need of paint, cleaning, and updating...long weeds, very little landscaping. It's the worse looking hotel on the strip. And they still use regular keys, so you don't feel safe!
The pool is only 4 ft deep and has a scratchy concrete bottom. The little kids enjoyed the slide but it's not near as nice as the pictures. The neighboring hotels have much nicer pools and they accommodate both kids and adults.
The throughway to the back building & indoor pool is overflowing with laundry and maintenance stuff all the time!
We stayed in a regular room with 2 double beds our first night because the suite was not available. The regular pool-side room was outdated and had a strange smell. It was tidy but not as clean as you expect a hotel room to be. The TV was very outdated...the remote barely worked. The lighting was horrible. But we stayed anyway because we were told our suite was newly remodeled and very nice.
The second day we checked out of the regular room and into the suite. It was terrible. The least of the issues being that the decor didn't match. The room was UGLY.
The hottub had huge, oversize mirrors......a very sleezy, cheap look...not romantic at all. The kitchen looked nothing like the website pictures. The refrigerator was bearly cool and there was no maintenance person available to look at it. You could not sit on the sofa and watch TV because of the layout of the room. The lamps did not work.
There wasn't even a toilet paper holder in the bathroom. The blow dryer didn't work and we ran out of hot water in the middle of the first shower. Shower head was horrible.
We had to ask for bedding for the sofa/sleeper. The curtain rod was falling off the wall. One of the pictures was badly cracked and still hanging on the wall. There were no dressers in the 2 rooms, so no place to unpack your clothes....no luggage rack, no place to hang anything up...no iron. The worse thing was the mattresses----they were completely worn out and broke down....causing peeks and valleys. We had a horrible nights sleep!
We checked out first thing in the morning and went to Grand Marquis, which was real nice and the same price and also offered the free Mt Olympus passes and had an awesome indoor pool, a great indoor waterpark for little kids and was pretty and clean!!!