“Loved it so much we booked another stay for late summer!”

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed June 14, 2009

This was my ninth trip to the dells, and my partner and I traveled with two friends of ours that have not been there. We shared a two room cabin with a full kitchen, deck and grill....for the price of $80 a night! Unheard of! As the icing on the cake, we always got to park right next to our cabin. There was always plenty of parking. Baker's Sunset Bay Resort is located on Canyon road, maybe 5 minutes from the downtown and "strip" area. So you don't have to deal with all of the noise and traffic like you do when you stay near one of these areas. Check in was easy...we arrived three hours before check in time, and there was no problem getting into our rental cabin. Upon arrival we received a Wisconsin Dells fun card (worth $10) being the deal finder that I am I already had one, but it will come in handy for our return trip late summer. As another bonus, each day you stay each person in your group gets a free pass to Riverview Waterworld...not the greatest waterpark in the area (lots of competition) but free passes worth $13.00 each none the less. We happened to be there during the first anniversary of the Lake Delton disaster, so they were hosting a number of events including a free cookout, and the tip that Tommy Bartlett's was doing a free show ($20 tickets)...they really go out of the way to make sure guests are informed, something I appreciate! Each day there was rainy weather (it happens early season) they would have a sheet of dry activity suggestions at the front desk along with directions, a very helpful gesture. The resort itself has so much to do right there that we probably wouldn't have needed to leave to have fun the whole time. There are several pools, both indoor and out...not to mention the lake. They offer free rowboats (life jackets to use too), a dock, and a HUGE, clean, and well maintained beach front area. On the beach is volleyball, ping pong tables, a playground, several dozen beach chairs, and the definite focal point...a large campfire area with lots of bench seating. One night at a late campfire we even encountered some curious wildlife! There is a free continental breakfast offered, and it is a nice gesture, but extremely limited so bring along some breakfast foods. This is the perfect place for an all ages, mellow, laid back vacation. All of this made it a "no brainer" for a return trip late summer. They offer a few coupons for their standard double queen rooms, making our next stay only $50 per night including tax! That is such an amazing deal! We cannot wait to return in a few months!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MNRiverValleyLass

Reviewed August 19, 2008

We would like to share our wonderful experience at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort in Wisconsin Dells with other families. We found Baker's Sunset Bay Resort on a web site and, like most on line bookings, we were not sure what to expect. May I say it was one of the best, most restful family vacations we have had.

The facilities at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort are geared toward families. You can be as busy or as "laid back" as you wish. We enjoyed the pools, hot tub, volleyball, teather ball,walking, cooking on the grill -- just to name a few.

There were four of us (18 and older) and one teenager.
We had a duplex that had two big size bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living area, dining area and kitchen. We had all the comforts of home and had maid service!

If you are looking for a family vacation in the Dells, may we suggest you check out the Baker's Sunset Bay Resort. We are sure you will enjoy it as much as we did.

ml
Minnesota

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank backathome
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We just returned from Baker's Sunset Bay Resort and found it perfect for us. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, that was pet friendly. We brought our small dog along and there were many areas to walk her without interfering with any of the guests. Our room was very clean, the bedroom was very spacious, it was quiet and cozy and I had no worries about letting my 12 year old son and his friend head down to the beach after dark for a swim or game of badminton, volleyball, ping pong, or to sit around the fire. We do not like the commercial tourist trap scene and it was so good to come back to the peace and quiet of this resort after full days at the waterparks, etc. This is the only hotel room my husband and I have ever actually been able to sleep in, it was so quiet, and we didn't have stiff backs the next morning from hard beds and pillows.
The staff was so friendly and helpful. It is very close to all major attractions yet far enough away to leave all the noise behind at the end of the day. If you are looking for noise and bright lights and action, this resort is definitely not for you. If you want safety and simple peace and quiet, this is the resort for you. Not sure what the others mean by the "1970"s feel??? Would that mean family oriented? I would call it "rustic and woodsy." We will definitely return to this resort whenever we go back to the dells-wouldn't choose one of the newer resorts over this one for anything. With water in the lake next year, it will really be fantastic.

2  Thank sadiebup
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed at Baker's Sunset Resort in the beginning of August 2008. It was just ok. It needs remodeling. It has the 1970's feel to it. We stayed in a 2 bedroom duplex. It had a very small kitchen with a stove, fridge, fireplace and king size bed. The carpet needed replacing, the furniture was falling apart, the ceiling fan blades were VERY dusty! I was scared to turn them on. We had mold growing on the shower curtain and in the corners of the bathroom. The volley ball court, little kids pool, and adult pool looked neat, but we didn't get a chance to use them. We paid $135.00 a night, and I feel like the price was steep for what we received. We will not be staying at this resort again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ziggyMinneapolis_
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I am sad to say I was very disappointed with this "resort". It does have a 1970's resort feel to it - so if that is what you are into, then you will feel right at home. We, however, are not and were completely turned off by this property. We (myself, my husband and my 3yr old daughter) checked in at about 9pm Friday night, went to our appointed "two room duplex" cottage room and found the carpets dirty, bugs, a very tiny bathroom, a single unit air conditioner in the front room (which cooled the front room in about 20 minutes but the cool air never made it into the bedroom) and a very scary drop ceiling and thin walls. Needless to say, we checked out at 9:30pm with a full refund. The front desk people were very nice. Overall, *if* you are into the 1970's type of resort - this place is for you. I know this room was not worth the money especially with no water in the lake to use the many outdoor activities boasted about on the website. I do feel bad to write a non-favorable review, but I believe people (like me) would want to know these things ahead of time. I wish there was a review like this posted prior to my trip so we didn't waste our time here. good luck!

1  Thank FamilyTripTakers
Reviewed August 4, 2008

This resort was very nice, the rooms clean and well-maintained, the staff VERY friendly. We stayed in a 1 BR suite which was just right for our group of 7. We had a little accident of a key breaking off in the doorknob, I called the front desk and she was up within just a couple of minutes, said not to worry, and she had the problem fixed within no time!!! They offer a nice continental breakfast in a hospitality room located on the lowest floor where they offer toast, donut holes, mini muffins, coffee, and juice. Although Lake Delton was drained from the storms in June, it was interesting to see the lake bed and we walked across part of it. A nice benefit of the lake being drainied is that many of the resorts along the lake, including this one, offer discount coupons of 50% off many of the attractions in the area as well as some free tickets to Mt Olympus waterpark only and Riverview waterpark -- which is totally worth it! One of the ladies here did say that they do hope to have the lake back up by November. The resort has a nice beach area where my little girl had a blast finding shells! She spent probably a couple of hours just playing the sand Sunday morning. She also loved the indoor pool which has a couple of slides. My only regret is that we did not have more time to spend there!!!

2  Thank wdavis1970
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Baker's Bay Sunset Resort is right on the lake, with a beach in the back of the property. There are indoor and outdoor pools, which unfortunately it was too cold to use the outdoor pool, and the indoor pool closed too early in the evening for me to use. It's honestly not much to look at once you see the other resorts, but the staff was friendly and it was very clean and comfortable. There was a continental breakfast every morning from 8-10 but I never made it up that early.

I stayed in one of the rooms inside the main building of the resort, but they did have standalone 'cabins'. Note that none of the buildings are very far away from each other, so don't expect that you are "off in the wilderness" if you get a cabin.

I got a good deal by calling the hotel, but look at their website first and determine what you need - the package may not be the best deal after all, and the people at the reservation desk don't always know that.

Note that if you are arriving late, they don't have night staff, just a security guard. He was very courteous and helpful, however, and I got my room key without a problem. (Not sure if this changes during the tourist season, as I stayed during off-season.)

Overall I'd say if you're just looking for a nice place to stay that's close to the Dells and has a few amenities, this would fit the bill and may not break the bank. However, if you're looking for a full-out family resort experience, this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple