“Great staff in a nice place”

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Great staff in a nice place”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

One big problem of the Dells in WI is the huge tourist trap it is. Bakers avoids that gross over stated neon jungle. It has a nice out of the way but close to everything location. A great location to wind down after splashing through the huge nest of water parks.
The staff was helpful and fun. We were part of a huge group and we received top notch service day and night. A fun friendly security guy checked in on us.
So much fun.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank EricMor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have nothing but praise for Dawn and the staff of Baker's Sunset. We had our family reunion for over 45 people there. We selected Baker's because it had most everything we were looking for in a resort. Foremost was a gathering room, which their Canyon room was perfect for reconnecting with family from across the country. Baker's had a good selection of accomodations for everyone. It was on Lake Dalton and away from the crowds. We spent 4 days there and the staff took care of all of our requests and always with a warm greeting and a smile. During our research for a resort, Dawn was very gracious during our visit and answered all of my emails. The family members were very pleased with our choice of the Dells and Baker's Sunset. I would highly recommend the Dells for a family reunion. It has something for everyone, from age 3 to 80. Baker's Sunset is a great place to stay and relax.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Through the years I have been coming to wisconsin dells I have stayed at many hotels. But there is only 1 that can fill mine and my childrens needs. There is always something to do there for all ages. From swimming in the lake canoeing boat rides indoor pool outdoor pool, large patio to relax and barbeque on premesisis bakers sunset bay resort is the place to be. There is security at night which makes me feels safe. They have a party room for after hours with video games snack shop and a large relax area to play games with your kids. But even to have a relaxing time and have a glass of wine with friends. I love the fact that this hotel and resort is off the beaten path. It is surrounded by a wooded area and make you feel like you're somewhere other then the Dells . This resort is also pet friendly. Enjoy your next vacation at sunset bay resort you will never be disappointed here.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Branditwin4
Davenport
Reviewed June 24, 2012

we have been having our family reunions at this resort for five years, but this year is our last! It appears they now no longer care about their smaller client, only large tours. This year their were people yelling and running up and down halls all night and employees didn't really seam to care. These large groups left garbage all over the beach and much of it was not cleaned up by staff the next day until the afternoon. Even though we were in the hotel portion of the resort, our only maid service was clean towels and emptying of our garbage can. We had to make our own bed. To top it off, for the first time ever we were informed all of our parties had to book a 3 night minimum for next year (this has never been possible for one member of our group and never required). We have now located a different resort with more amenities, no 3 night stay requirement at the same cost. If you want to party all night this hotel will pass, but if you have children who need sleep pass it up.

3 Thank DavenportPete
, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Hi Christie,
I'm sorry you did not have a good experience on your last visit to Sunset Bay. You and I have had many discussions over the years regarding our 3 night minimum on weekends. I have bent that rule for you for many years and I feel that this review was done because we told you that we would require the 3 nights for your group in 2013.
Yes, we did have a big group here on "your" weekend but everyone seemed to have had a wonderful time. The group even had a 2 piece band on the beach that everyone was able to enjoy. There was not one negative comment all weekend.
There was a lot of clean up to do the next morning but it was all put back together by 9am. I know this because I was down there moving tables and chairs myself.
I'm sorry that things did not work out for your group this year but I don't think this review was necessary, accurate or fair.
Dawn Baker
Owner / General Manager
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 23, 2012

If you are looking for an average place to stay this is it. We stayed in one of the hotel rooms and it was just like every other hotel room. When we arrived our room was not clean yet. We were allowed to put our stuff in the room, and I watched the terrible cleaning performed. I had considered leaving because I did not feel the room was properly disinfected. We stayed here because they allowed dogs. I paid $10 extra per night to have my lab with. The website said dog friendly. But it was not. The dog walking area was a joke. About a 10 yard path and thats it. And there is a lake but the dogs are not allowed to go swimming. The beach area was nice, with volley ball and ping pong. The internet was crappy. The location was however convienient. Only five minute drive to just about any where you want to go. If I go back I will stay somewhere else.

1 Thank Amber W
, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Hi Amber,
I'm sorry you didn't feel our resort was up to your expectations. I did want to explain a little about our pet policy of not swimming in the lake. We don't allow dogs on the beach because there are so many kids and people on the beach. Parents don't want to see a dog running around, unleashed, around their children. It is a safety issue. If the dogs were swimming they would obviously not be leashed. Another reason is that a wet dog makes for a stinky room. That is a cleanliness issue.
We take pride on the cleanliness of our rooms and I feel there is not a cleaner place in town, especially our pet friendly rooms.
We do have a small area that is wooded that has a pet station but you are allowed to walk your dog anywhere on the property, (except the beach) you did not have to stay just in that area. Also, there is a walking path around the entire lake that we encourage people to use.
I'm sorry Sunset Bay did not work out for you, we do try to make all of our guests comfortable and happy.
Dawn Baker
Owner / General Manager
Pewaukee
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Dawn, the owner and reunion coordinator, was really great in helping us with pre-arrival planning for our visit. Everything was totally clean and ready for us when we arrived. Dawn, Sue and the rest of the staff were so very attentive to our needs while we were there. As an example, we didn't anticipate our need for extra chairs and serving tables so asked if they could be made available to us. BOOM! Nine minutes later, a staff person showed up with 3 tables and 12 chairs and asked, "Where may I put these for your convenience?" Is that exceptional service, or what!! We had 58 people in our group including 3 that are hearing impaired. Everyone was made to feel welcome. Many times during the 2 day event, staff people came to ask us if there was anything we needed. You will not get this kind of attention from places that have 1400 other guests! The resort is just a mile from a very nice family restaurant and 7 minutes from all kinds of food and shopping, and the other Dells attractions. Our stay was a delightful experience and I unhesitatingly recommend Sunset Bay to you. We have had reunions for over 80 years, in many different locations including Holland and Germany, and this rates with the best of them.

Room Tip: We used room 326. It was on the upper level, so no noise from above, it overlooked the beach area w...
1 Thank CZY4JAO
Merrillville, Indiana
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family and I were so excited about the Dells Trip, until our negative hotel stay at the Sunset Bay. The house keeping service was not good. We left our rooms and expected to come back to a clean room, instead the beds were the only things that were made. The tub and sinks were filty. There was trash on the floor. No one had vaccum. We had no soap. I had to go to the office to retrieve more soap. There were'nt any wash towels brought to the room as well. My husband and I complained about the room service and they were not apologetic at all. I am upset because we paid over $200 per night for this room and I have seen better service from a $80 per night hotel room. Do not waste your time at this hotel. You will be disappointed about the house keeping. Others were disappointed as well,. Choose Wilderness. That is an excellent place to stay

1 Thank David and Latri... L