“Tall Pines Villa - Jellystone Dells (OMG!!! Huge let down)”

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort
Reviewed August 10, 2009

What a HUGE let down. Great marketing and description of the villa however what you read is NOT what you get. There is no view of Mirror Lake unless it is 20 feet wide and about 4 feet deep and that view is through thick trees. The walk down to the river was treacherous at best. The stairs, steps if you can call them that were poorly constructed and there wasn't a pier. The Plasma TV is maybe a 32" and by the way, no HD channels. Wi-Fi is not available at the Villa unless you have a booster (and a strong one at that). The waterpark, what a joke. The kids area is VERY VERY small, the other area is even worse. I have been to other Jellystones and stayed at the lodges and this by far is the worst of them. It looks like nothing more than a double-wide trailer with notty pine interior. The furniture is nice, the circuit blew when we used the coffee maker and the toaster together... it took 3 phone calls and 3 hours for maintenance to come and reset the circuit breaker. The Weber grill they provided with LP didn't get above 300 degrees (and I let it warm up for over 45 minutes) The deck is very small and they put a very large table with 6 chairs on it (which was the nicest thing there). The bathroom is about 6 or 7 feet by 10'. I am a big guy (6'4" going 280+ and I needed to back into the toilet) It is like putting lipstick on a pig.....

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank todnlis
There are newer reviews for Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort

Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed in a Boo Boo Chalet for 8 August 5-9. I have to say after all the reviews, I was very scared to go. I was pleasantly surprised. The cabin was very clean and as spacious as a cabin could be for 8. We were located at the end of cul-de-sac where there was a trail for golf carts and walking behind us. Beautiful location. Whenever we needed more linens or anything, we would have service within 15 minutes. I was very impressed with housekeeping's level of service. If you listened carefully, you could hear the interstate, but it wasn't enough to be a problem. The activities were fun for all and mini-golf was great. The boat and fishing are kind of misleading. It was quite a hike to that and was a very narrow stream that didn't offer any fishing really. The guy operating it took 5 minutes to help us and told us he sits around watching movies all day. I could see how this park would get bad reviews if you went here expecting peace and quiet and didn't research your site. Many sites were right by the highway and/or along the main drives throughout the park, making it seem undesirable for tent and trailer camping. Cabins all seemed to be in good locations and were good shape. Offers free wireless internet, but only got to work a couple of times and would lose the connection, but didn't complain because supposed to be camping! We had fun and would recommend to other families looking to entertain children, especially if you want a cabin. If you are looking to bring your own lodging, find a site off the beaten path and far into the park.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mbuech110
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The campground is very nice. I was nervous to give this campground a try, because it had so many bad reviews. I was pleasently surprised. I thought the campsites were spacious, tons of activites for the kids, bathrooms were clean and there were a lot of families there with younger children.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Lexylouminneapolis
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Below is a letter I wrote to complain to the corporation:

To whom it may concern,

I would like to inform you of the terrible service, condescending and disrespectful attitudes of management, and poor conditions at the Jellystone campgrounds at the Wisconsin Dells location.

My wife, two children ages two and four, and I arrived on Thursday, July 2nd 2009 at 1:30 PM. When we got to our reserved site, we were placed on a hill. My wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant and recently had some medical difficulties with the pregnancy and spent two nights in the hospital. We went back up to the front and requested a site that was flat so that my wife would be more comfortable and tried to explain her condition. The person helping us barely understood English and we were asked to wait. After a long wait, a young girl came and tried to accommodate us. She called management on her radio and , without any concern, stated that there was nothing they could do. After further requests for some understanding, the young girl directed me to a trailer where the management staff was located.

I entered the trailer and found a man with an assistant manager badge. He told me to go back to the front desk where I had already spoken with two people to no avail. I requested that he come with me to assist. He informed me that he was busy but would come down soon. I waited another 20 minutes and he never came. Out of frustration I decided to just go to my assigned site and try and make the most of the situation and do my best to set up on as level a spot as I could find.

As I began to set up, I noticed broken glass and other miscellaneous garbage all over the site. I spent over an hour clearing an area to make it suitable to set up my tent. After setting up, I began to realize that this was far from the peaceful relaxing vacation I had envisioned. Our site was approximately 100 yards from the interstate and I could hardly hear myself think. Needless to say, this made sleeping on our first night a challenge to say the least.

The following evening at 9 PM, the family and I headed to the closest bathroom. When we got there, both the women’s and men’s rooms had signs, “closed for cleaning”. We headed to the next nearest bathroom at the Ranger’s Station and found the same signs. We headed to a third location and the last bathroom that we were aware of. The management and a few workers were affixing the same signs at this location. My wife, 7 ½ months pregnant, asked them to wait so she could utilize the facility and they told her they were closed. She informed the manager that she couldn’t wait and he then stated that the bathrooms weren’t closed for cleaning; there was actually an issue with the well. When my wife asked what she (and others) were supposed to do, she was told, “what would you do at home if the water didn’t work? Hold it…” After a heated discussion, the manager reluctantly let her go.

At noon the next day (15 hours later) which happened to be the 4th of July, there were still no working bathrooms and no working showers. My wife and I decided we had enough. We packed up and headed to the front desk to request a refund for the remaining day (we were booked for one more evening) we were supposed to stay. After another wait of over an hour, we requested a refund due to no bathrooms or showers. We were told there would be no refunds. We asked why and they said they could not foresee the well problem so there would be no refunds.

Due to the holiday weekend, there was a massive volume of people with no bathrooms and showers. I don’t understand why, after 12-15 hours of no water, there was no attempt to rectify the situation by bringing in port-o-potties? I am appalled by the attitude of management and their lack of concern over their guests comfort or the unsanitary conditions that existed.

I am writing to you, to request that some action occur with the management staff. They need to understand that their guests expect some level of comfort and service for the hard earned dollars they are spending and do not deserve to be treated as my family and I were.
I am also requesting a refund for the last night we were billed.

IN OTHER WORDS, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank TripGuy01
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My husband and I and our 2 boys ages 12 & 8 just returned home from Yogi Bear in Wisconsin Dells 2 days ago and we had a lot of fun! We camped there in our pop up camper and had a great site. We where there on a Wed through a Friday so the park was pretty empty, not even half booked I would say. I would recomend staying there through the week instead of a weekend if you can because it can get pretty busy on the weekends. We got checked in right away and where pleasantly surprised that they gave us 4 free tickets to the Tommy Bartlett show which we did take advantage of that same night. The time we spent at the campground was a lot of fun. Our kids really enjoyed the pool areas. My husband and I took full advantage of the hot tub. They closed the pool areas down at 9:00 during the week which we thought was a bit early. We did go down to check out the boat rental area but it started to rain so we decided to skip that and go swimming again. Thursday evening it rained out for a while so we hung out up in the game room where our boys had a blast and one of the staff workers even asked our oldest son if he wanted to play a game of pool with him. The rain stopped around 8:00 that night just in time for the wagon ride and then we headed off for the hot tub again. Our last day there it was kind of trying to rain out so we managed to get a game of yogi bear mini golf in before heading to the pool one more time. We got a lot of use out of the pool areas. My only complaint about the campground is that it could have been cleaned up a bit. the bathrooms where a little dirty looking and we noticed a few old beer cans and bottles laying around on the mini golf course while we where playing. The other thing we noticed was that some of the campsites where a bit small. Some sites had just enough room for a small camper or tent and that was about it. Some of the sites had there firepits sitting on a hill or incline because there was no room for them. I was glad that we had not gotten one of those sites. All in all we will be returning next Summer to Yogi Bear!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank momof2boys_7
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Jellystone Campground and Resort

The music was played from load speakers from the rangers station. They started playing the music at 7:30a.m until 11:00p.m. I could not hear my three year old talk in the playground or anywhere near the ranger station. But the worst part was the lack of Customer Service by the staff. None of the staff smiled and when ask a question they treated you like you were bothering them. At one time during a pathetic craft session I ask a staff member for some tape and she told me to find it myself. My family will not be going back to this Jellystone Campground again and it is not the place for small children.

4  Thank Mom456
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed at Jellystone over the weekend in June. I have been going there for many years, in fact since I was a child so I have always had good memories from there. Even though we had a wonderful time, I do believe the property is going slightly downhill.

The rates are very high for what they offer. To camp at a water & electric sight it is $59 and that is for the lower season rate! We decided to stay in a "Cindy's Cabin" for $89 per night.

These cabins are basic, but good. They have a double bed & bunk beds, suitable for 4 people but no more. They come with a table inside & a mini fridge, microwave & coffeepot. They are cute and cozy, but just for reference, they are about as far as you can get from the main lodge & pool area. There is also a picnic table outside & fire pit & barbecue.

I found the restrooms really dirty this time. The campground gets crowded and lots of the sites are pretty cramped together. Not much privacy.

They do have a lot of fun activities for kids such as hayrides, crafts, mini golf, and while we were there they had Cindy Bear's birthday so they had a party in the activity center with a dance. Great for kids probably 12 & under. They have a couple nice playgrounds, a game room and a place where you can rent canoe's, pedal boats, & row boats for the river.

The new "waterpark" is the same Y shaped swimming pool they have always had that now has a waterslide on the edge. The pool is VERY small and gets VERY crowded with kids. They also added a jacuzzi which has about 25 kids in it at a time, no lie! They put in a really great play area for kids probably under 9 that has lots of little slides, waterfalls, and fun things to play. This is really good for younger ones, but not so much for older kids.

All in all, as with everything, your vacation and happiness is what you make it. My kids had a great time and loved seeing the different characters and participating in the activities. From an adult perspective, it is probably overpriced and overcrowded, but can still be enjoyable if you make it fun.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family