“Overall a good experience”

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed Monday-Friday, the last full July week, 2012. Two kids (ages 16 and 12) and one adult in a pop-up.
From the phone reservation to the campground personal, the people we all good and very friendly.
Our site was very nice with very few campers around us, but there was potential for it to be very crowded if all the sites were full. We were in site #90.
The laundry facilities were really nice with huge washers and very good dryers, there was even a kitchen sink in the room next to it to do your dishes.
The showers and bathrooms were nice, clean, with very warm shower water.
I thought the store was fairly priced. Pretty much what you would pay at a convenience store. The firewood was only $1 more than what Wal-Mart had, with maybe more wood in the bundle.
The big downside is the freeway noise. Over the years the noise got especially bad with the texture added to the freeway surface. The campground roads are very narrow, and I don't know how the big RV's can navigate some of them.

Room Tip: Maybe investigate the campground site location before making a reservation.
1  Thank JerryJski

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This was quite possibly the worst campground I've ever stayed at! The site was so tight that we could barely get our camper into it. The sites are not only small but are VERY unlevel - ours was on such a steep hill that we couldn't sit in our lawn chairs and needed large blocks to level our grill. The highway noise was unbearable by the pool areas...and even worse at our campsite. We had to shout to each other to be heard at the bonfire. Inside the camper (with the airconditioning on high) didn't even drown out the highway noise heard at all hours. NOT relaxing. The facilities (including the pool area, mini golf, golf carts, hey-ride wagon, etc.) are showing wear and tear; you would think with the amount they charge for sites that they could re-invest some into the park facilities. The only thing this campground has as a posivitve is the characters and planned kid activities.

4  Thank Mine M
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at this campsite with another couple and their kids, as well as my husband's father. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. It was a campsite - since we were camping, I didn't expect too much. The bathrooms were okay, not enough showers for the amount of people. But it was a nice extra treat that you did not have to pay for them with quarters - they were 'free'. Our kids had fun in the kiddie area. The big water slide was fun, but the pool was soooo small. They had a dance for the kids the Saturday we were there and they had so much fun. From my perspective, it was an average campsite. The little extras they had for the kids made it a blast for the kids. (We had kids ages 8,7,7,4, and 10 months. It was perfect for them. Older kids may want more.

Room Tip: As far as camping sites, I would try to get one that is off the beaten path and that has no 'nei...
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After staying her in the dells last year we decided this would be our new camping spot. We find the economy lot to be much larger for us than right inside the campground and prior year was great. This year we arrived to discover over half of the camping lot not mowed or maintained (will be posting pictures later) causing more bugs than usual due to all the high grass and weeds. Also there are suppose to be 2 port o potties in the lot but alas they where gone (even though shows on there maps suppose to be there at all times) this caused our female campers to drive or walk to the facilities. Not sure if they are trying to discourage the economy to move to the more expensive sites, but those are very small and cramped and all will do is drive us to a site that maintains all there grounds. We still had a good time but was night and day from last year, not amazing not awful but not to standard since we saw it one year very nice followed by paying triple this year and getting less.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Exlon
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to this campground in the last 6 years and it didn't disappoint! Our family with 4 small kids (11, 5, 3, and 1) had a great time! Like other reviews said the campsites are small but the services and activites offered at this campground make up for it. We didn't spend much time at our camper as we were either partaking in activites or at tourist attractions downtown. I noticed another review mention that they never saw Yogi. Our kids were able to see all the characters you just have to read the schedual to find out when these times are. I mean seriously think if they made someone parade around in that suit all day long! The pool area is small and crowded on the weekends but we all had a blast here! We never had any problems with any part of the pool being closed when we were there. I loved how hay rides and nightly movies were offered. We even had 1 night where they had a DJ and a dance and another night where they had a haunted barn! We never heard any noise from the interstate although it is fairly close. I guess if your afraid there might be noise you can specify to be in a further away campsite. Bathrooms are not within walking distance and that was ok because we had a camper. The store was well stocked and had everything we needed. The staff is foreign and only here fir the summer but they were helpful! I'm not sure why all the bad reviews are on here. We feel this is the best campground we have ever been to. We will be returning!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My family of 3 stayed in the 4 person Booboo chalet 7/14/12 through 7/17/12 and I loved it! My son is 2 and I was looking for a place to stay in Wisconsin Dells that would be fun for him. He is too young to enjoy those bigger water parks and wanted a place to stay where I could make our meals instead of having to go out to eat which is not always easy with a 2 year old. I wanted a place where he could run around and be free to be himself, so Jellystone was perfect. Previously when we would go camping we would stay in a tent. We are used to bringing everything we would need, using public bathrooms, and sleeping on the hard ground in sleeping bags. That being said, staying in the Booboo chalet was great. We had everything we needed like a full size frig, shelves to store food, a clean bathroom in the cabin, and most importantly A/C! The temps reached into the upper 90’s so I can’t tell you how nice it was to have this. The cabin was SO cute; and it had unexpected nice touches like a front porch with a porch swing, and planters with flowers. This was so much better then camping in a tent! Yes, the cabins were very small, close together and the gravel road to get to them ran very close to the cabins but this did not bother me one bit. We did not stay in our cabins other than to sleep, and at night there were no cars to worry about since everyone was in for the night, so the cars were parked and kids could run around and play.

We spent most of our days participating in the kids’ activities the camp offered. The hottest part of the day we spent in the pool which was the right size for my two year old and was always open when we went. Yes I would agree the pool areas are small but it was just what my son needed. Our first day there we never even looked at the pool area since the reviews were so bad and instead we took him to Mt. Olympus water park. My son was so overwhelmed by the size of the place and the number of people he never wanted to leave my arms. The next day we decided to just stay and try our pool and it was perfect. We couldn’t ask for anything more. The kiddy pool area offered everything a 2 year old would need to have fun and could splash around free of my arms. At night we would sit around our campfire and watched our son play with the other near by campers. This was especially nice for me to see since he is an only child. I would agree that the campground is very close to the interstate so you can't get away from the noise. The pool area is next to it so this does not make for a relaxing time by the pool but I couldn't do that anyway since I was near water with a 2 year old. It is not bad at night and could not hear it at all inside the cabin.

I had read the recent bad reviews which upset me and was ready to cancel our reservation, but on such short notice I would not get a refund. Instead, I prepared myself for the worst and planned to make the best of it. I’m so glad I couldn’t cancel because I would have missed out on seeing the joy on my son’s face when he saw Yogi, Ranger Smith, and Booboo at different times around the campground. I would have missed the fun we had playing with my son in the pool area, the meals we prepared and enjoyed around the picnic table with the grandparents and uncle that came to visit, and the peaceful canoe ride with my husband. I guess I learned your family camping experience is what YOU make it and realize camping is not for everyone. As for my family, we had a great time and would come again. P.S. My parents participate in the foreign exchange student program so needless to say I was offended by the negative comments posted regarding this. Most of Wisconsin Dells workers are all students and the majority is foreign. I encourage you to open your mind and talk to them. You just might learn how smart and brave these students are to come from so far to try to serve you and speak your language.

Room Tip: The campground is very close to intersate 90. So you will hear it no matter where you stay but the...
1  Thank Josie A
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I booked the Jellystone campground for my family because I remember going as a kid. I gave it a 3 out of five because part of the problem is based on me getting what I read. I really had more of a '2' experience, but part of that is my own fault. We have stayed at Baraboo Hills campground 2 times and my kids love it. I was hoping for some 'entertainment galore' at Jellystone, but I didn't find it. That said, the site didn't say anything leading me to believe it had all that other stuff (giant dunk tank, jump pillow, train, pond...).

This Jellystone site had a swimming pool, but imo, it was way too small. My kids seemed OK with it, but I was not going to get in, as it was pretty packed with people. Based on the amount of people that were in there, the pool could have been 4x larger and it would have suited the crowd better. They had 1-2 'lifeguards' on duty to run/manage the pool, though the teenage girl on duty looked rather bored and uninterested in what was going on. As other reviewers stated, they let a lot of things go that most lifeguards typically address (too many kids pushing/shoving on floating pool toy, adults squirting people in their water fights...). I had to pull my son off a floating pool toy (pretend log) because he got hit pretty badly w/all the older kids fighting for space on it. The chairs around the pool were OK, but they felt rather dirty. We asked for a cushion at the bar by the pool and the guy (not a US resident) didn't know what a cushion was.

The tent site we were at was OK, but I felt pretty smushed in by neighbors. They get a lot of people in on the space. If we had full capacity this past weekend, we would have felt more smushed in, but we were able to spread a little bit b/c of the open site next to us.

The bathroom situation: Showers were typical camp showers w/regards to cleanliness. They weren't 'dirty' but they didn't feel clean and spacious either. I never understand why a campground can't afford to give people a little more space in the shower so you don't feel like you are touching the walls as you wash your hair. The worst part about the shower, however, was the water pressure. It was so so small. My kitchen sink gives out more power than these showers. It took forever of pumping the water over and over to get the right amount that you need to rinse your hair. Perhaps I saved a little bit of water, but honestly, I felt it was annoying having to pump the water/push the button over and over. My sons showered earlier that morning and said the water was freezing. The girls in the bathroom earlier in the day told me that their water was cold as well. After hearing this, I called the office and asked them to fix it before showering. It was warm by the time I got there.

On the upside, they did have many activities for kids. Many of them were somewhat lame (meet Yogi!) or cost extra money, but others were good. The highlight was the tour of the haunted farm. They put my kids/husband on a hay ride and took them to a barn which was haunted. My kids loved that!

Overall, I guess I was looking for a campground that was a little bit more playful and interactive with the staff. I won't be coming back here, but it's not the worst place either.