“the best place to stay”
Review of Indian Trail Motel

Indian Trail Motel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed September 11, 2009

My wife and I stay two nights. It was very relaxing and quite. close to downtown Dells, a nice indoor and out door pool which was enjoyable. It did not cost a arm and a leg to stay. I would recommend this place if you have Kids and are on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
IndianTrailOwner, Owner at Indian Trail Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2016

Hello Milwaukee_WISmitty

Better late than never. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate you taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay with us at the Indian Trail Motel. Glad to hear that we have the best place to stay. We work very hard to make your stay comfortable. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to seeing you soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2009

On a whim we drove to The Dells on Saturday of Labor Day weekend and much to our surprise there were numerous vacancies throughout. Having stayed at the Indian Trail before we headed over to see if they also had any rooms available. We were able to get a double queen at a very reasonable rate considering the holiday weekend. Once again the owners/management were very personable. The only problems we had were with the cable TV in the room, which was experiencing poor reception on several channels and a couple of intoxicated men ruining an otherwise peaceful time around the bonfire.
Fortunately the owners were apologetic and graciously offered a partial refund due to the problem we had.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Hello PyroBob

Reviewed September 8, 2009

First of all, I have to say that I am not a picky traveler so for me to be left disappointed is unusual. I have to agree with the review before mine: several of these reviews must be fraudulent in nature (written by the staff?). This review is based on my stay in their 4-plex unit.

We picked this motel because of the wireless internet, free breakfast, refrigerator and microwave, and the outdoorsy feel. First, we were greeted with a pungent smell in our room – we likened it to an insecticide smell and there is no way to adjust to the odor. The first thing I did when we got home was wash every article of clothing to make sure the smell didn’t follow us home. The room was terribly outdated and nothing like the pictures shown on their website. The bathroom had been updated but the shower was teeny-tiny. I’m only 5’5”, 120 lbs so I’m not a big woman, but I still managed to get bonked and bruised in the small standup shower because I had minimal room to move around. There are no toiletries offered, so make sure you pack everything you need. I was disappointed there were no hangers in the closets; we weren’t able to hang anything up, and the furniture was so old I could barely open the drawers so I had to leave everything crammed in my suitcase (probably better that way so they wouldn’t stink like the room). Additionally, they do not offer maid service.

They advertise wireless internet but this portion of their amenities was a joke; we were close to the main office and their signal still wouldn’t reach our room. We needed the computer and had to go to the local library for our needs which was a nuisance. We like to pack food when we travel to cut back on costs and since they offered breakfast, we packed no breakfast items. When we reserved the room the lady on the phone told us they would be offering a good breakfast because of the holiday weekend, but we were served cake donuts and a glass of OJ. Not a big deal, but a minor disappointment nonetheless. They also advertised a Saturday night bonfire, but I was there on a Saturday night and there was no bon fire offered. Actually, there was a very large group of campers who took over the bon fire area as well as our allotted parking spot so we had to make our own parking spots.

I would say there were a few positives. They had an ice machine which we used to fill our cooler, although they stunk and were outdated, the rooms were kept very clean, the outdoor ping pong table was fun for me, and the view to the back of the property was outdoorsy, as long as campers didn’t obstruct the view. They did provide us with a complimentary Wisconsin Dells Fun Card, which allowed us a buy one get on free duck boat tour so that saved us $20. The website said they offer the Dells Party Card, Mt. Olympus, and Noah’s Ark specials, but those weren’t available during our stay. I found my own specials on-line while I was at the library.

I’m sure our rates were significantly higher because of the holiday weekend, but if you’re paying more than $50 a night to stay here, I wouldn’t recommend it. After reading some other reviews, it looks like they run specials during parts of the year at around $50 a night, but to be honest I don’t know that I could tolerate the smell in our room, even at that price. Some things are worth paying a little extra for…

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheTravelingNomads
IndianTrailOwner, Owner at Indian Trail Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2016

Hello The TravelingNomands

Better late than never. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate you taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay with us at the Indian Trail Motel. We have made many changes to our rooms since you were here. We have remolded them as well. You can take a look at our new rooms online and see. We work very hard to make your stay comfortable. Hope to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I can only speculate that some of these other 5 star reviews are fraudulent in nature because our experience with this motel could not have been any worse. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Suite which smelt and felt damp from the moment we walked in. The carpet was a bit wet. Our windows were open and two windows had rips in the screen. This led to the pleasant experience of moths, spiders, and other wonderful insects to greet us. The bathroom was tiny. The Jacuzzi worked well; however, there was a rusted drain in the jacuzzi which meant tiny bits of rust were floating in the water while you were supposed to be enjoying a relaxing soak. At night time you have a nice light outside your door which attracts a ton of insects. So, when you go to open the door, you get even more insects in the room. As you walk out of the room, you get a lovely view of a dead tree. The smell of the room was something you just simply could not get used to. It was overwhelming. How they ever would let someone into that room is unbelievable. We both woke up stuffed up and feeling horrible. This is my worst experience in a motel room by far. We stayed here based on our research and these reviews. What a mistake! I don't think my spouse and I will ever stay in a motel again because of this experience. It was that bad.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ICYY

Hello ICYY

Better late than never. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate you taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay with us at the Indian Trail Motel. We have made many changes to our rooms since you were here. We have remodeled most of the rooms so that we don't have this problem anymore.. You can take a look at our new rooms online and see. We work very hard to make your stay comfortable.

Reviewed August 22, 2009

This motel is the best place to stay. We have gone back each time over the last few years here. They offer great value off the bat. With each stay, you get the Dells Fun Card. Which is a $10 value. Me and my wife always use the buy one get one deal on the DQ blizzard and Drive in admission, so its a deal right away. They also include coupons to the nearby Mimi's restaraunt, which was a Family Chef awhile back, plus a coupon to the new pasta joint down the strip. So, before you walk in, you're already savings. This time, august 2009, we were given a Dells price list, which was very helpful and is a great guide to everything. The whirlpool is amazing, and the two kinds of pools, outdoor and indoor are great for everyone. The weekend bonfires are a treat and no other place offers that. Also, the ping pong table is a great way to burn off some energy. They also offer grills and that's a nice way to save on food there. Yep...its my fave place..i haven't even talked about the rooms. We stay in room 30, right by they street, and its nice to be away, yet close to everything. The heat worked exceptionally good, and the space is undervalued. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good value and great service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jasonknuth

Hello jasonknuth

Reviewed August 18, 2009

Even my 7 and 11 yr old kids were asking why we were staying in such an outdated motel. My 78 yr old mom was in a separate room and she even complained about how musty and old the room was (she’s typically not a complainer). They’ve done the best they can with what they have – the staff is friendly and the place is clean, but it doesn’t look like anything in the rooms have been updated in 20 years. If you’re on a tight budget, this place probably works for you but if you can spend a little more and stay at a newer chain hotel your family will probably have a better experience.

Not that it had a big impact on our stay but the wi-fi didn't work while we were there. Management said they were trying to fix it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank jelarv

Hello jelarv

Reviewed August 2, 2009

This hotel was a throwback to the old style of hotels in how it is constructed. In a town where people are everywhere the hotel is set apart and was very quiet and relaxing. We enjoyed the hot tub and walked the trails (not very long ) and you can even sit right outside your door and interact with other guests if you wish. We would return there if we go back to Wisconsin Dells.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple