“chair lifts”

eden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“chair lifts”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We just arrived home from a family ski trip at Christmas mountain. we had a group of 15 people with us on the day of the winter festival. we arrived at noon and there was no parking available as they had closed a bunch of the parking lots for the festival rather than utilize the open areas across the road. for the first hour they only had one chair lift running which allows you to go on 5 trails. they then opened the second lift. 7 of us including my 85 yr old grandfather and 2 7 year olds got on the second lift to ski the other runs, first time up the brakes gave out and we started going backwards on the lift. luckily the back up brakes kicked in and stopped the lift. half of our group was now stranded on the lift for over and hour waiting to be evacuated. it was an absolute nightmare. they couldn't tell me how my son was as he was riding up on a different chair a few behind me. once we finally were evacuated they gave us a free hot chocolate WOW THANKS!!!!!!!!!! our day was ruined we lost over an hour of skiing just stranded and I can tell you I certainly wasn't getting back on their lifts after that. needless to say we will never ever go back nor recommend them. and on top of It the attitude of some of their younger employees towards the guests that were stuck on the lift was horrible. to say the least they could have refunded us our lift ticket prices.

1 Thank marisa s
Matt B, Manager at Christmas Mountain, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Hello Marisa,

My name is Matthew Vohs and I am the Retail Recreation Director at Christmas Mountain Village. I have reached out to a phone number that was collected on Feb. 1st after the chair lift #2 issues. I have a feeling that we may have an incorrect contact number recorded for you as the voicemail that I left a message on was not for anyone named Marisa. At any rate I would like to extend you my sympathy for the events that you encountered on that day. We certainly do not ever intend on having a catastrophic failure as we did on chairlift #2. As your email states you had encountered sub standard customer service after the chairlift was evacuated. We were prepared to collect any and all information from all of the guests that were evacuated in order to provide some form of compensation after all passengers were safely unloaded and our staff/ski patrol were able to resume normal business operations. This process was handled this way to ensure that we do not run into any issues with bystanders and non involved customer traffic trying to obtain lift tickets and reimbursements. I do however remember personally unloading you off of the chairlift as you mentioned your grandfather’s birthday at the time.

I would love to offer you a lift ticket package to bring you and your family for another ski vacation at Christmas Mountain Village. I would of course be more than happy to also extend you tubing, snowshoeing tickets, and rentals if you would prefer to try another activity. We certainly do not intend on “scaring” away business and would love the opportunity to regain your trust. We do have an excellent and longstanding record of safe operating practices with our chairlifts. Our facility is inspected twice a year by the State of Wisconsin and our insurance provider. We do daily and weekly inspections of all chairlift components but would have no way of anticipating the type of mechanical breakdown that we suffered on that day. We are very proud of the fact that all of our backup systems that are in place worked flawlessly and that our team was able to evacuate the fully loaded chairlift in under an hour with no injuries to customer or staff.

As to the parking situation when you arrived we have no way to compensate. We do always section off an area of 20 parking spots for the dog sled racers and weight pullers to prepare their animals and equipment. This is one step that we are forced to take in order to have that event in place for the Winter Carnival. It is an event that is in very high demand and we always have many happy guests because we provide this event for participants and spectators alike. Unfortunately it requires that we give up those 20 parking spots for the half of the day. We do offer parking in all other areas on our property but I do understand that it can be a bit of a walk from some of these locations.

If you could send me some more contact information I could give you a call or you may feel free to call or email me with any other questions or concerns. Please understand that we have created a list of customers that this event has impacted and have been reaching out to everyone that has left their contact information with us. Thank you for your patience.

Matthew Vohs

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Snow Tubing!!! Best memory for the Dells by far!!!!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have a 15, 10 and 9 yr old. We went to go snow tubing and showed up about 1:00 but there was a 2 hr wait( Call before you go) They said at 7 there is usually not a wait. We call and there wasnt a wait it was so fun snow tubing under the lights. We highly recommend this place. If I visit the Dells in the winter again We WILL GO BACK. Thanks for the momories Christmas mountain. It was a blast for all of us.

1 Thank disney30
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Nice resort, but tubing hill not managed.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This review is strictly geared towards the tubing hill at Christmas Mountain. My family and I have been to the resort numerous times to ski and snow tube, so I'm very familiar with the resort. On this day, I called the mountain at 11 am, and was told there was a 2 hour wait for the tubing hill. Being a holiday weekend, I understood that the resort would be busier, and I was grateful that I didn't arrive at the resort only to have to wait 2 hours. Throughout the day, I called the resort 3 more times, and was told each time that the wait was still 2 hours. So, we decided to go tubing early in the evening and take our chances that the wait for the tubing hill would have subsided. When we arrived at the resort we were told that the wait was still 70 minutes. After having our names put on the wait list, we decided to walk out by the tubing hill, and to our surprise, there were barely any people snow tubing. There were no lines at the top of the hill, and there were very few people in line at the bottom. Upon seeing this, I returned to the pro shop to let the associates know that their wait list probably contained more names than the number of people on the tubing hill. At that point, we called it a day. About 10 minutes after we left the resort, I received the call from the pro shop saying our tubes were ready.
It seems that there is little to no communication between the workers on the hill, and the workers in the pro shop, and there certainly is no management present to see the obvious. We'll be heading to Cascade next time.

Austin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spend your time waiting in line due to too many tourist and not enough staff.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Waited over half the day in line to get rental equipment only to find they would have to make do with what they had for my first time skiing child. They were also out of poles. They were fully staffed and had only two girls handling ski rentals. Our skis were then taken while we were on a break so we had to wait again. The lodge/ waiting area/ restrooms were disgusting!! Even the employees were disgusted, but yet nothing was done about it. Seems this place is run by a bunch of kids.

Visited December 2013
HOBART
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun but a little pricey”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We took our kids snow tubing here and it cost $96 for 5 people. A little pricey for snow tubing but we had fun an d everyone was very friendly. We would return.