“Good family trip~”

Kalahari Waterparks
More attraction details
Owner description: Rain or shine visitors can enjoy the wet and wild rides at the largest indoor water park in the United States..
Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Good family trip~”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our first time at Kalahari and we will definitly be back. My husband has a 2 day business conference there every year and this year we decided that the entire family would go along. We traveled there with another family of 4 so there was 8 of us total.

We stayed in the Royal African Queen Suite. This had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living room. The master bedroom had 1 king size bed w attached bathroom. The 2nd bedroom had 2 queen beds. The living room had a pull out sofa and lounge chair, gas fireplace and small pub style table and chairs. We where there during the winter so we didn't use the balcony's at all. So with all of this room is was nice because we had 4 adults and 4 children in there. Still with 8 of us, we didn't feel cramped.

The water park was very clean and nice. They always had clean dry towels set out in baskets around the park. Most of the time I sat at our tables and read my book while the kids (13, 11, 9, & 8) ran around so I got to see a lot of the staff that was working. They seemed liked they really enjoyed their jobs and weren't just "there". I've been at some water parks where you can't hardly sneeze without being yelled at for doing something that was wrong. So it was nice being able to just sit and relax. The park does state that you can't bring in your own food or drinks, but we did anyhow. We just brought in water bottles. To buy a bottle of water there is $3.00 per bottle and we weren't going to spend that much money on 8 of us to each get a bottle. So we just took our own in. They never once checked our bags as we brought them in, nor did they say anything to us about the bottles sitting on our tables. The staff was very friendly and tentative, always picking up wet towels that someone didn't bother to take care of or pushing tables and chairs back into order. If you want to do the stand up Flow rider Surfing I would say to do it as early in the morning as you can. We were there on a Thursday and Friday and on Thursday morning there wasn't a line of any sort. The employees were just waiting for someone to come along. By afternoon and evening the line was about 30 minutes. On Friday the park was busier so the line got longer faster.

The Indoor Theme park was really cool also. If you go I would suggest that you buy a arm band for the rides. I think it was only 25 buck per person to do this. If you go and just try to do tickets (they have everything on a card style system) where you pay for each ride it will cost you a ton! I think that there is only a couple of the activities that isn't included in with the bands. The arcade games are expensive but what arcades aren't. Our kids favorite things to do was the Ropes Course, Rock Climbing Wall and Laser Tag. They did this for hours.

The first night we ordered pizza from an outside source and they delivered it just fine, no issues. The second night we ate inside the hotel at Damon's Grill & Sports Bar. I would say that it was average....... wouldn't go back. Our server was nice, but kinda "over" nice. The food was average also..... more expensive then we would have liked to pay for what we got. But we didn't have to go outside in the cold weather. So.....

Overall, everything was great and we can't wait to go back next year!!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank SAE2012

Chicago
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Very cool (but pretty expensive)”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I came here with a church retreat- we brought 700+ middle school and high school kids over MLK weekend and they loved it. We stayed in a regular room, but many of the students and leaders stayed in the suite rooms. The regular rooms were okay- decent regular rooms. The suites were AMAZING- 2 regular style rooms (2 regular size beds and full bathroom in each) connected in the middle by a large kitchen and living room area and also a 3rd room with 1 large bed and bathroom. I have no idea how much it cost, but I heard it was very expensive.What I really liked though was that in the hotel rooms they advertised recycling the soap, shampoo bottles, etc. If there are leftover toiletries, they will send them to people in need, which is awesome.

The way everything was decorated though- even outside the rooms, all down all the hallways and in all the rooms- was very cool. Lots of authentic (or authentic looking) African decorations (I have been to Kenya and I actually saw a lot of the things Kalahari had in Kenya).

The waterpark was really cool, but for the "largest indoor water park", I don't know...It was naturally really crowded. I think there were 8-10 really big slides, a lazy river (that we waited about 15 minutes to get a tube for) and for adults a really cool swim up bar that was heated water that also led to an outside hot tub swim area. Then there is also an indoor "theme park" with rides and games, but I didn't go to it. There is also an indoor shopping area. It was kinda cool- there were 2 souvineer shops and 2 dessert/sweet shops one with really good ice cream. Also a few restaurants that we didn't try. Right in this area they had a baby kangaroo or wallaby and baby tigers (which is weird because they are not found in Africa, but the whole place was African themed) that you could take a picture with for around $25. I don't know where these animals came from but I certainly hope they are rescue animals being rehabilitated and not just random animals for people to take pictures with.

Overall, really cool place, but I hope they tell people when they are going to have a huge group of 700 kids there because if I were a family that went that weekend and didn't know, I would have been pretty annoyed.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank learntolive
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very fun winter destination”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is an excellent winter destination! Everything you need (restaurants, shopping, movie theatre, etc.) is all located within the resort. my girlfriend and I visited for a one night stay over Valentine's Day weekend. We stayed in a whirlpool sweet and got a very good military discount. The room was very clean and even had a fireplace. We visited the waterpark on Friday evening as well as Saturday morning. I was surprised at the lack of crowds. It was nice not to wait in lines for longer than 20 minutes. Overall, this was a very fun couples getaway. I would recommend this destination to other couples as long as you aren't bothered by lots of little children running around. Make sure to ride the screaming hyena!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank ehoeffler
Lake Geneva
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fun Hotel /water park”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

we stayed a night and the kids liked the water park. They have a surf pool and that was cool. Lots of loungers to keep an eye on what the kids are doing if your not gonna do the water sides with them.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Water Park is awesome, rooms clean and comfortable!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've been to the Kalahari several times, a few times for business and a few just for fun. The waterpark is awesome, it's definitely a great place for kids, the rooms are clean and comfortable, always enjoy my stay there. Kahunaville bartenders are great. Only one suggestion I would offer is that it would be awesome if there would be food available (beside vending machines) later at night.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank JJWat
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Waterparks, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for continuously visiting us! Thank you so much for sharing! Great tip too, by the way. I will be sure to share! We are very much looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and thanks much!