“A Hole in the Wall without a View”

San Antonio Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 187 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children
“A Hole in the Wall without a View”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We ate here because it was recommended in town and here. I do not enjoy giving poor reviews, but this is not someplace to recommend.

Let me start with the good first: Pico de gallo was pretty good (had to ask for 2 to serve our 4 person table); service was friendly, but overwhelmed at times.

So, here is where I suppose I should list the negatives: none of the cheese in my enchilada was melted; refried beans were bland and cold (La Preferida straight from the can, unfortunately); nacho cheese on nachos was Velveeta; and other dishes tried were just so-so. This may sound trite, but it's the first time this has happened - it was really hard to find much to get excited about on the menu. No combos were offered. Few options stood out.

The location is somewhat convenient to the shopping area, but no view of the outside at all. A hole in the wall with no view. We passed up Mexicali and Pedro's for what we hoped to be good food. We ended up with poor food and no view.

Not recommended.

2 Thank MfamilyfromIllinois

Naperville, Illinois
“Bizarre service, ok food.”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We just left there and I needed to write a review because the four on here are pretty deceiving. On our way from Chicago to Minneapolis we decided to stop in the Dells to have Mexican food for lunch. We passed Pedro's and Mexicali on our way to San Antonio and that was probably a mistake. The food overall at San Antonio was okay but nothing spectacular. Just your average Mexican food. The chips and salsa are a joke. You get about a tablespoon of pico de gallo to share when you sit down and then every refill is 99 cents. I had the chicken chile rellenos and my dad had the beef tacos. We were both satisfied with our meals but my mom was pretty disappointed. Her meal was bland but the worst part was when she ordered. Being that none of us speak Spanish we asked what the bistec con cebollas was. The description said "chopped steak with onions" and my mom asked what it was to inquire more about how it was cooked, was it marinated, etc. The waitress just looked at her blankly and said, "it's steak with onions... Just like the menu says." So on top of having an okay meal with three 99 cent rations of pico de gallo we also got to feel pretty unintelligent courtesy of our waitress. All in all, we say try Mexicali or Pedro's instead. We know we won't be returning.

1 Thank Lauren P
“Great food”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Went here with family on 7/30/12. We went here after reading the last three reviews about the restaurant. We all agreed the food was fantastic. The price is the same as any where else for mexican food. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited July 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
“Very good!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My daughter wanted mexican food for dinner, so based on trip advisor reviews we chose to go here. It was very good, although I thought a little pricey for what you got. Everything was very fresh and the service was great. The food was spicier than what I am used to, but it was very good. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good, fast mexican meal. The restaurant does not have air conditioning (or at least it was not on) so it was a little warm inside.

• Visited July 2012
Grantsburg, Wisconsin
“#1 Mexican We've Had- Ever”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband andI eat a LOT of Mexican food. Even though we live 5 hours from San Antonio Mexican Restaurant, we will be back- and soon. Why? Everything is home made! The salsa, hot sauce, tamales, and even the SOUR CREAM are made in house. I grabbed 5 cards when we left to hand out to any friend headed twards Wisconsin Dells.

Did I mention the home made sour cream? Its worth stopping just for that.

• Visited June 2012