This was the hotel my sister and future husband selected for the reception after their off-site wedding. Just about all of the attendees traveled at least three hours for this event, a few of us much more.
A girlfriend scouted out the hotels in the area earlier and decided against this one due to the guest room she was shown smelled musty to her -- coming from a gal who can't smell, I took notice. But stayed there anyway out of convenience of being where parents and the bridal party were at.
When we first arrived, what struck me was the smell in the lobby. It was a combination of hot humid chlorinated water with old man who needs a bath smell. Absolutely gross -- thinking it was the men in the lobby I gave it the benefit of a doubt. Until the next morning. It was the smell of the lobby.
The room was your average room. Two beds, table, tv with more channels listed than available, frig, microwave, sink area separate from the tub & toilet. I didn't notice this in my room, but other guests in for the wedding had their mattresses wrapped in plastic. Creating a noisy hot experience for them. For me, the air conditioning never got control of the humidity or heat for my liking. I chalked it up to not being used to that weather anymore.
The hotel knew that many of us were there for the wedding but yet spread us out all over the place. Many had rooms facing the pool area so they could congregate there at all hours and the rest of us were sprinkled on the other floor or wing. I thought it would make more sense for them to keep all of us together for noise reduction at times.
I never used the indoor pool since they did not keep it open for the wedding party like they originally said -- after 16 hours up & running, a dunk in the pool would have been really really nice. Those friends who got a whirlpool/spa room had mixed reviews -- some had no issues, one had a faucet that would never fill in his lifetime and the other didn't have hot water.
The night of the reception, we were all outside talking since so many of us haven't seen each other in years, the manager came out to tell us that we were being loud and to relocate to the bar. Well, that bartender is in the wrong occupation -- he completely lacked customer service skills. It was like he purposely made wrong/bad drinks, made the customers pay for those and the corrected ones. He was rude, gave us a hand out about what would get us arrested or ticketed that pertained to a car event that weekend (we were all part of the wedding and not driving) and when it was time for the bar to close he turned on the lights and said the police were across the street. He was a complete nut-job. On a better note, the previous night's bartender was a gem! Personable, friendly, sharing, sincere --- a great guy.
When were leaving, the hotel said that they were beginning a remodel. Furniture was beginning to be removed and a makeover starting.
Like the title says -- there are many other places to try. This one sits next to Great wolf Lodge, the outlet malls, a bowling alley, Starbucks, McDonalds, easy access to I-94, close to the casino.
I doubt I will be back in the Dells anytime soon and if I am, I will stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wintergreen Resort is perfect for your next meeting, group function, or family vacation. Relax and enjoy our indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, and children's water facilities. Our convenient onsite restaurant and lounge are sure to please any appetite. If searching for a romantic getaway, our whirlpool rooms will accommodate every couple with room service and special packages. Centrally located just off I90 makes it a perfect location for all to visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wintergreen Resort And Conference Center
- Wintergreen Wisconsin Dells
- Wintergreen Resort Wisconsin Dells