“Great value at Grand Marquis”

Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We visited the Grand Marquis for a Saturday and Sunday the 15th & 16th of July, and liked it so much that we stayed there again the following week on July 22 on our way back home. I was apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, about the pools being lame and such. However, I was pleasantly surprised, and I can be not easy to please sometimes. Our kids, aged 9 and 5, adored this hotel and the pools. In fact, we never needed to pay to go to Noah's Ark or any other water park because they had so much fun in the hotel pools. The indoor Dolphin water park was larger than I thought and the 2 largest slides were long enough for even my husband and I to enjoy. Better yet was the large hot tub located in the same room that we could relax in while watching the kids. My only complaint was that the chlorine level in this hot tub in the dolphin park was so high that it made my eyes water. We loved the outdoor pool, with the dinosaur and other slides, and the large waterfall and basketball. Landscaping was lovely. Large enclosed grassy area for play or picnic with tables and griils. Plenty of lounge chairs around outdoor pool. Regular indoor pool and two hot tubs were large and clean. Room itself was pretty ordinary, but clean and a nice size. It was quiet at night both times we stayed. We were able to check in a little early, at 2 P.M. Best of all was the price. $118 for a Saturday night in high season. Compare that with $250 and up in the fancy waterpark hotels. Staff was pleasant as well. Nice location right off the highway exit. Highly recommended if your kids are not spoiled by and used to large waterparks.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank 4indianatravelers

A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Grand Marquis. We had the dolphin suite, While our room was extremely large the accommodations otherwise were horrible.

We called on the day before arrival and asked if it would be possible to get in to our room a little early - like at 2pm (they guarantee a 3pm check-in) We were told over the phone that would not be a problem. When we checked-in at 2pm on 6/25 our room was not ready, but were informed that we could use the pools, etc. At 3:30 we went to the desk and wanted to check-in were told that our room was still not available. We informed them that they guaranteed a 3pm check-in and then they said that we could go up to our room but would have to work around housekeeping.

For all people traveling with multiple aged children their waterparks are divided into 3 areas and they are very small areas. My 2 year was even bored. It also made it hard to watch multiple aged children, because they wanted to be off in different areas.

The other thing that we were not aware of was that this hotel does not have internet access AT ALL. This was very hard for my husband who had to do a few business related things and ended up haveing to go to an internet cafe down the street.

Spen the extra money and go to a nicer hotel. The front desk staff was rude, the cleaning staff did a horrible job of making up the room. The hotel is extremely dated.

• Stayed: June 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Marquis on April 12th. We just needed a quick one night getaway for our child(cabin fever had been getting to him for quite some time). The room was average with two queens, micro and fridge.
The pools were pretty good. Thewaterparkisgreat for children under 6. The water doesn't go above one foot! Our child loved the slides and basically everything about it. It was also nice to have the hot tub for adults, we just sat in that while the kids played. We would return to this hotel with our kids .One more thing is the pools are for registered guest only, and they're open from 8A.M. to 10P.M.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank aapetey
A TripAdvisor Member
Kewaskum, WI
Reviewed March 16, 2006

I was booked into this hotel while attending a coference. I had a Jr. Suite with whirlpool tub. The room was nice enough but could have cleaner. There were some stains on the sheets. The real problem was the bed. The mattress was very hard, it was like sleeping on a carpeted floor. After sleeping on this Sunday night I complained to the front desk and asked if they might have a different room with a better mattress. The woman at the front desk was no help, rather than try and provide customer service she responded that "it's a hotel mattress and they are supposed to be firm". She did not offer any alternatives to the problem and would not authorize a refund for Monday night she said "you booked the room for 2 nights so you have to pay for that". My mattress at home is a firm one but not a rock like the hotels so I am used to something a little harder. As far as this being a hotel mattress, well I have been in many hotels and they are not all firm and rarely do I run into one this hard. With my back complaining and a poor nights sleep I decided to find a different motel because a poor nights sleep is not an option for me. So due to the lack of service and the crappy mattress this place gets a 2.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business