“Enjoyed Our Stay”

Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We spent two nights at The Grand Marquis - one night on the way to Chicago and one night on our way back home. We were able to check into the hotel several hours early on both days.
The hotel was very easy to find - it is just a couple blocks north of Exit 92 - and is located within walking distance of a Pizzeria Uno and a Ponderosa. (There is a little pathway that cuts across the front lawn of the hotel and leads to the restaurants.) There is a BP gas station right next door too.
There are three pools at the Grand Marquis. As mentioned in previous reviews, the swimming pools - one inside, one outside - are nothing special, though they do both have slides which the bigger kids seemed to enjoy. The water depth in these pools maxed out at about 5'.
The ocean-themed "waterpark" is definitely geared towards the younger set; our 7-year old daughter spent more time there than the other two pools combined. The deepest part of the waterpark (near the bottom of the two bigger slides) is only about 12" deep; the rest of the area is zero-depth to about 8" or so.
Be aware that the waterpark room is VERY LOUD - the noise from the water rushing down the slides and the geysers shooting up out of the floor is deafening. Bring earplugs if you intend to relax or read a book while your kids play. (All of the pools are open from 8AM - 10PM.)
Other notes and comments:
This hotel is not flashy like the Wilderness or Kalahari down the street - in fact, it looks like a three-story office building - but it is definitely worth checking out if you are on a budget.
We found the staff of the hotel to be very friendly on both days of our stay. When I asked what time we needed to check out, I was told "Sometime between 10:30 or 11:00, but if you need a little extra time, just let us know."
The double queen room is pretty standard. Both rooms we stayed in were clean and the beds were comfortable.
There is free internet access: It was rather slow to connect in the first room, but we had good reception in the second room.
The hotel was pretty quiet. The place was near capacity both nights of our stay, but we never heard anyone in the rooms next door.
There is a nice grassy courtyard on the south side of the hotel; people were grilling out there and eating at the picnic tables.
There is not a grocery store close by, so if you want to stock the fridge, you'll need to go to the super-expensive Mobil Mart down the street, or to the Wal-Mart back out on I-90/I-94.
We received free wristbands when we checked in, which gave us admission to Mt. Olympus waterpark for the check-in and check-out days of our stay. Admission to Mt. O. may be free with the wristbands, but you will have to pay $5.00 to park. (Hint: If you enter the parking lot by the Trojan Horse, you will have to wind your way all over the place to get to the pay booth. Save yourself some driving and enter the parking lot via the Bus Entrance, which is a half block north of the Horse. There is no one guarding this entrance, so you won't be turned away; the car traffic merges with the bus lane about 25' after the entrance, so you end up in the same place, just quicker.)
The hotel will charge the first day of your stay on your credit card when you book the room. There is a $10.00 service charge if you cancel the reservation.

Grand Marquis will be our lodging choice when we return to Wisconsin Dells.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MplsMommy

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Arrived at 12:15 and the place was locked up tight. Called and was told the everyone had gone home and only security was left on site. Asked to check-in and was told to come back tomorrow morning. (Great advice) Needless to say I went elsewhere...

(therefore I can't really rate cleanliness, rooms, etc)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank VillaGlen
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Marquis from May 25th-28th 2009 and it was a GREAT experience. I was not sure what to expect because of the wide range of reviews on Tripadvisor. We arrived on a Monday and the check in process was very quick and the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We got to our room and it smelled very clean and we were in room 120 which is right next to the waterpark so that was really nice as we spent alot of time there. I really liked how the hotub faces the little kids waterpark so I could easily relax while watching my three yr old swim. I plan on staying there on every trip to the dells from now on. I have to say though that this waterpark is for younger kids and if you have older children they may get bored easily but it kept my 3 yr old entertained for days! I also have to comment on the wonderful maid service. The room was kept spotless and my daughter loved coming back to the hotel everyday after a day of sightseeing to see how the housekeeper has arranged her stuffed animals on the bed. LOVE LOVE LOVED it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My fiancé and I stayed here to relax and getaway. We had a FABULOUS time at the hotel. The room was clean including the bathroom, Jacuzzi (Loved It!) and bed sheets. Our room was very spacious for the amount we paid. It had huge windows to get great sunshine. I really like the convenience of having both a fridge and microwave. You had basic cable, so late at night there was something to watch. The service was GREAT. I forgot their names but they were very polite and professional. Although, I did not get into the pool, I check it out and the folks in the pool/sauna area looked as though they were enjoying themselves with friends/family. The hotel was quiet so you had a peaceful environment. The location was great to me (blocks away from the highway). I would highly recommend this hotel for couples.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lovinthis
Reviewed April 11, 2009

The waterpark is very small and designed for younger kids. My two were 6 and 4 when we visited and it was perfect for them. There's no way for them to get lost, and the water features are definitely designed for the 6 and under set. Adults can use the slides, but they are small. Still fun, though :) There is a larger pool with larger slides for older kids and adults, but it's just a couple of slides, nothing fancy.

The room was clean, with no fancy bells or whistles. We didn't care, we weren't there to spend time in the room. The price was good, we got a special where were had some tokens for the little arcade area and some other stuff that I don't recall anymore. I was pleased with the hotel and waterpark. This is not a good choice for older kids or teens, though, but for the little kids it is really perfect.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We loved our room - it was spacious and it was very clean -- loved the lemony smell. Clean sheets and nice woman who cleaned the rooms. The waterpark area was perfect for young children -- you can see them at all times and the water is not deep. My kids also liked the deeper pool too. The one concern we had with the pools was that all three of my children broke out in a rash after the second day there -- clearly it was from the chemicals in the pool. My husband thought the chemical smell was very strong as well. It looks like someone else posted this happening to them as too, so maybe management will look at this and will cut back on the chemicals a bit. Aside from that, we had an enjoyable trip and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I've stayed at the Grand Marquis twice in the last year, last summer and this winter. If your looking for a budget friendly hotel and have kids 7 or under I would recommend this place. We took our 4 year old and she had a blast both times. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly. No complaints. I also like the location of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family