We spent two nights at The Grand Marquis - one night on the way to Chicago and one night on our way back home. We were able to check into the hotel several hours early on both days.
The hotel was very easy to find - it is just a couple blocks north of Exit 92 - and is located within walking distance of a Pizzeria Uno and a Ponderosa. (There is a little pathway that cuts across the front lawn of the hotel and leads to the restaurants.) There is a BP gas station right next door too.
There are three pools at the Grand Marquis. As mentioned in previous reviews, the swimming pools - one inside, one outside - are nothing special, though they do both have slides which the bigger kids seemed to enjoy. The water depth in these pools maxed out at about 5'.
The ocean-themed "waterpark" is definitely geared towards the younger set; our 7-year old daughter spent more time there than the other two pools combined. The deepest part of the waterpark (near the bottom of the two bigger slides) is only about 12" deep; the rest of the area is zero-depth to about 8" or so.
Be aware that the waterpark room is VERY LOUD - the noise from the water rushing down the slides and the geysers shooting up out of the floor is deafening. Bring earplugs if you intend to relax or read a book while your kids play. (All of the pools are open from 8AM - 10PM.)
Other notes and comments:
This hotel is not flashy like the Wilderness or Kalahari down the street - in fact, it looks like a three-story office building - but it is definitely worth checking out if you are on a budget.
We found the staff of the hotel to be very friendly on both days of our stay. When I asked what time we needed to check out, I was told "Sometime between 10:30 or 11:00, but if you need a little extra time, just let us know."
The double queen room is pretty standard. Both rooms we stayed in were clean and the beds were comfortable.
There is free internet access: It was rather slow to connect in the first room, but we had good reception in the second room.
The hotel was pretty quiet. The place was near capacity both nights of our stay, but we never heard anyone in the rooms next door.
There is a nice grassy courtyard on the south side of the hotel; people were grilling out there and eating at the picnic tables.
There is not a grocery store close by, so if you want to stock the fridge, you'll need to go to the super-expensive Mobil Mart down the street, or to the Wal-Mart back out on I-90/I-94.
We received free wristbands when we checked in, which gave us admission to Mt. Olympus waterpark for the check-in and check-out days of our stay. Admission to Mt. O. may be free with the wristbands, but you will have to pay $5.00 to park. (Hint: If you enter the parking lot by the Trojan Horse, you will have to wind your way all over the place to get to the pay booth. Save yourself some driving and enter the parking lot via the Bus Entrance, which is a half block north of the Horse. There is no one guarding this entrance, so you won't be turned away; the car traffic merges with the bus lane about 25' after the entrance, so you end up in the same place, just quicker.)
The hotel will charge the first day of your stay on your credit card when you book the room. There is a $10.00 service charge if you cancel the reservation.
Grand Marquis will be our lodging choice when we return to Wisconsin Dells.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "NOAH'S ARK WATERPARK TICKETS"."FREE"Indoor Amenities◾Blue Dolphin Lagoon Waterpark Complete with 4 Slides (Kids Size)◾2 Half Tube Sea Shell Slides◾Water Spouting Sea Life with Coral Reef Jets◾Activities Galore in the Shallow Waterpark Wading Pool◾Whirlpool◾Large L-shaped Indoor Pool (3-5 Feet Deep)◾Triple Chute Dolphin Slide◾Toddler Pool◾Twin Whirlpools◾Sauna◾Game RoomOutdoor Amenities◾Large Outdoor Pool (3-5 Feet Deep)◾Triple Slide◾Purple Dinosaur Slide◾Water Basketball◾Grand Waterfall◾Picnic Tables & Grills ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Marquis Resort Hotel And Suites
- Grand Marquis Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Grand Marquis Wisconsin Dells