“GREAT FAMILY HOTEL!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
South Dakota
“GREAT FAMILY HOTEL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Marquis from May 25th-28th 2009 and it was a GREAT experience. I was not sure what to expect because of the wide range of reviews on Tripadvisor. We arrived on a Monday and the check in process was very quick and the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We got to our room and it smelled very clean and we were in room 120 which is right next to the waterpark so that was really nice as we spent alot of time there. I really liked how the hotub faces the little kids waterpark so I could easily relax while watching my three yr old swim. I plan on staying there on every trip to the dells from now on. I have to say though that this waterpark is for younger kids and if you have older children they may get bored easily but it kept my 3 yr old entertained for days! I also have to comment on the wonderful maid service. The room was kept spotless and my daughter loved coming back to the hotel everyday after a day of sightseeing to see how the housekeeper has arranged her stuffed animals on the bed. LOVE LOVE LOVED it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

My fiancé and I stayed here to relax and getaway. We had a FABULOUS time at the hotel. The room was clean including the bathroom, Jacuzzi (Loved It!) and bed sheets. Our room was very spacious for the amount we paid. It had huge windows to get great sunshine. I really like the convenience of having both a fridge and microwave. You had basic cable, so late at night there was something to watch. The service was GREAT. I forgot their names but they were very polite and professional. Although, I did not get into the pool, I check it out and the folks in the pool/sauna area looked as though they were enjoying themselves with friends/family. The hotel was quiet so you had a peaceful environment. The location was great to me (blocks away from the highway). I would highly recommend this hotel for couples.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lovinthis
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

The waterpark is very small and designed for younger kids. My two were 6 and 4 when we visited and it was perfect for them. There's no way for them to get lost, and the water features are definitely designed for the 6 and under set. Adults can use the slides, but they are small. Still fun, though :) There is a larger pool with larger slides for older kids and adults, but it's just a couple of slides, nothing fancy.

The room was clean, with no fancy bells or whistles. We didn't care, we weren't there to spend time in the room. The price was good, we got a special where were had some tokens for the little arcade area and some other stuff that I don't recall anymore. I was pleased with the hotel and waterpark. This is not a good choice for older kids or teens, though, but for the little kids it is really perfect.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

We loved our room - it was spacious and it was very clean -- loved the lemony smell. Clean sheets and nice woman who cleaned the rooms. The waterpark area was perfect for young children -- you can see them at all times and the water is not deep. My kids also liked the deeper pool too. The one concern we had with the pools was that all three of my children broke out in a rash after the second day there -- clearly it was from the chemicals in the pool. My husband thought the chemical smell was very strong as well. It looks like someone else posted this happening to them as too, so maybe management will look at this and will cut back on the chemicals a bit. Aside from that, we had an enjoyable trip and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

I've stayed at the Grand Marquis twice in the last year, last summer and this winter. If your looking for a budget friendly hotel and have kids 7 or under I would recommend this place. We took our 4 year old and she had a blast both times. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly. No complaints. I also like the location of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
WEST BEND
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

MY kids and I stayed there for two nights. The first night my son got a rash from the pool. By the end of or trip we all got the rash. The women at the front desk was rude when I told her about it. She said it didnt come from the pool. No it is a day later and my whole family has a rash all over our body and it hurts. The doctor said it had to come from the pool. I will never stay there again or suggest anyone to take their kids there.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — THE POOL SLIDE KEPT BREAKING SO THE KIDS COULDNT USE IT. MY WHOLE FAMILY GOT A RASH FROM THE POOL
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MISSMARIE27
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2009

I have gone to this resort yearly for 5 yrs. This can be a good fit for you depending on your desires/style/expectations/time of travel. This resort in my opinion is a fit for a practical family that has kids ages 7 or below, moderate time/budget, who want more than just a hotel & regular pool experience in the Midwest. Also for no frills adults without children who stay to attend the Crystal Garden Show but do not want to travel home after.

It is not what one thinks of as a typical "Dells Waterpark". Why do I like it? This is no frills, more than a pool and a slide for the kids enjoyment but smaller than the other hotels that surround it. Their pool & Waterpark can accomdate it's guest room capacity without crowding, long waits, or walks. I do not mind venturing out to grab a local bite to eat or shop at a store to stock the hotel fridge for snacks/drinks. I am not a sight seeing shopper so gift shops are not something I rank high among my needs in hotels/resorts.

If your vacation plan desire is to have a pampered getaway without ever leaving the inside of a resort this is not for you. Large scale spa amenities, shops, luxury all inclusive resorts(granite & wood decor) , thrill seeking rides, action packed staff planned/lead activities are not here. If your family is in that stage this particular location will not suit your needs. (That can be wonderful too )

This is a hotel family getaway that has a pool and waterpark made for young kids so the family can have fun and blow off steam. Adults can go on slides too but it is a kids waterpark. This is is not for older kids, teens, and adults who enjoy large thrill seeking water park adventures/rides. The brochure in my opinion reflects this in the pictures.

I read in other posts some state the decor needs to be replaced. I can tell you they have replaced the carpet in the room I like to request since I have been going there. It was a new carpet on my last visit-I commented and my spouse concurred. While the color decor may not be "current" to what is" in" it does not mean they do not clean , fix, replace things. They probably replace on an as needed basis along with a cost benefit analysis. Wisely, matching exisitng green/peach/pink decor that many enjoyed in the past. They update as needed just like many other hotels and apartment complexes do across the country.

I personally do not expect them to change all the uphosterly, furniture,and tile at the same time because these items wear at different rates. It would be costly. This is not a new hotel built in 2000+. If they did an entire hotel wide conversion I would imagine they would raise their prices too. And I don't want that either for their current price point is in my range.
It is unfair to compare an exisitng hotel to a newly built one down the block. If you prefer newly built business/ "in/modern" decor you can research and verify that before booking.

As for the bed I love my bed at home. No bed can compare. I paid more than several trips/hotel nights worth for it. No hotel or friend's home I have ever stayed in has my accolades on beds period. No one has to worry that I am permantly staying. I miss my bed always. I did not find their bed any more or less uncomfortable than other hotels I have stayed in. It is not My bed that I hand selected for my particular needs. I always know that when I travel. As for the parking lot view/construction. We are rarely in the room so this is not an issue for us. However in my past travel days in Vegas I recall resort strips also building/construction around many hotels I stayed in. Best advice see if you can request a room switch (whether bed or view etc) most hotels in my experience do their best to accomidate you.

I bring my own beach towels for the pool and prefer to travel at off peak times when possible. Although they will switch out towels for you as needed if you want to use theirs. I know all hotels experience waits/busy staff/rushed/slow room turnover etc. during peak times. I have talked to a lot of people about different Dells hotels, where & when they went etc. I know that off peak times fit my personality and stage in life. I am fortunate to be able to travel at off peak times.

I have not had problems getting the room cleaned, getting assistance, or clean towels/linens etc. on my visits. Not to discount others experiences -perhaps they went at a peak times and or other circumstances led to their review .

I do know from past experience that travel takes time, budget, and researching to find a good fit . One must know themselves their style, have a rating/value system that coincides with their budget and expectations.

I hope my review has helped . I have recommended Grand Marquis to people who are similar to me in their travel needs, finances, and personality. However, I am friendly with some people that prefer/ need/ can afford more luxurious all inclusive spa resorts where they can get a manicure/pedicure, massage, and steak dinner ,with babysitting services all under one roof while on vacation. This resort would not fit their particular needs.

• Liked — Price, room size, small waterpark fun, close to main HWY, older interior design colors but clean/working
  • Stayed March 2008