“Good hotel near Wisconsin Dells attractions”

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Decent hotel with comfortable beds. They had good variety for included breakfast in a very comfortable sitting area. We were bummed the beach entry kids pool was closed for the week for maintenance but the regular indoor pool was very nice, larger than your typical pool, and the area was very open and bright. The kids pool was a big reason we chose to stay here out of the many hotels in the area. Lesson learned to call the hotel ahead of booking online. The front desk staff smelled strongly of smoke. The king suite was arranged a little odd with a half wall dividing the bed and sofa. We never turned the tv on but seemed like you wouldn't see it if sitting on the sofa! Overall a good experience!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Nea4pipers
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us! I'm happy to see all the positives you noticed during your stay! I do apologize for the kiddie pool being closed. We are gearing up for summer season and had some maintenance work that needs to be done in there. We tried to be proactive by posting it on our website and by having the sign at the front desk but I know this is still sometimes missed. I hope this summer you get an opportunity to come back and utilize the kiddie pools both indoor and outdoor! We appreciate all the feedback and look forward to the next time we have the privilege to host you!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I am a frequent business traveler to this location. The front desk is always friendly, efficient and exceptionally helpful. They go above and beyond to ensure the guest is satisfied. This hotel is clean and well maintained. My only suggestion to make it an exceptional overall hotel experience would be adding new pillows.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay! Its always nice to see our hard work pay off! Customer service is something we live by and preach regularly! Its always nice when the guest takes notice. In regards to the pillows IHG just released new standards and we have ordered the new pillows. We have received many positive comments in regards to our pillows but Ill be sure to cover your comments with my direct supervisors. We look forward to the next time we have the privilege to host you!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I should have been more vigilant about checking reviews before staying at this property. However I made the assumption that like other IHG properties I would be more than satisfied here.

True - the front desk person was friendly and had a great personality. Check in went great in itself. Then the trip to my room. This property is certainly not an IHG level of property. In the way the hotel is laid out. In the hotel itself & beds.

However I was there, and I stayed for the night. Breakfast was another thing. Really busy - but they didn't have anything that looked to interest me, and so I left. I went to McDonald's. That was a separate mistake. I've never paid over $2.00 for a cup of coffee at McDonald's. And before you all say it - yes it is a tourist town. But really - it's April. How many Duck Boats & visitors do you think are out right now? The outdoor water parks are closed. But enough of this...

So as always I did get and keep my receipt as per normal. But I always go on to the IHG website to download a copy of my receipt for expense reports. That doesn't work at this property. This is the statement you get when you attempt that:

Bill Not Available
The ability to access your hotel bill is not supported by WISCONSIN DELLS at this time.
To obtain a copy of your bill, please contact the hotel at 1-608-2533000.

** REALLY - in 2014 an IHG property that doesn't have an electronic receipt available?

Room Tip: Well worn out beds. No electronic bill receipt.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. Im happy to see you found our front desk associate to be nice with a nice personality as we get many other positive responses in regards to our guest service representatives. I do apologize that you found the layout of our property not satisfactory. When this hotel was originally built it was called the Camelot. It had a castle theme and all. We renovated in 2007 and actually won an award for being the best renovated property for all IHG hotels. In regards to receiving a copy of your bill electronically this is not something we knew was an issue. If this is something you use regularly I can completely understand how frustrating that can be. I have printed off your review and have forwarded it to our IHG Regional manager to try and rectify this issue so going forward it should be available. I appreciate the feedback as it will be used to make sure every other guest who would like to use this option can utilize it. If you still need a copy of the bill please just send me your name and info and I will gladly send you another copy. My email address is fdm@dellshotels.com.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I traveled without kids so we did not use the watermark. From the viewing deck it looks nice. The hotel staff was very friendly and effecient. The breakfast was very good compared to other HI Express that we have stayed at. Not a five star place but very good quality for the price.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Highly recommended! Close to all Kalahari off the interstate, kids absolutely loved the pool ! Staff was friendly and it was super clean! Breakfast was awesome, overall best hotel my family has ever styled at !

• Stayed: April 2014
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

I'm happy to see we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for letting the world know. We look forward to next time we have the privilege of serving you!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We started our trip at the Chula Vista for a volleyball tournament, as family members were coaches, so our club paid for the room. On the night that we were "on our own", we were supposed to stay at another hotel (on points, my husband is a business traveller) but after reading the reviews, we decided to forfeit those points and rebooked at the Holiday Inn Express (again with points). We have stayed here previously, so knew it was a good hotel. The rooms are very nicely decorated and clean. The beds are super comfortable, and while the room aren't huge, they were fine for us. There was a really pleasant "apple" scent throughout the hallways. The pool is really large, but could use some cleaning around the pool deck. There is a slide and a separate kiddie pool. There is also an outdoor pool, but as we were there in March we didn't use it. The slide was also closed, Brighter lights in the pool area would be nice, it was pretty dark, maybe even a safety issue, as there were lots of "shadows" which could make it hard to see if someone was in the bottom of the pool. Breakfast was great. A good selection, fresh and hot. There is a make your own pancake machine, and the girl at the front desk showed us how it worked. We ate at the buffet at the Chula VIsta and that was overpriced and awful quality...the food here at the Holiday Inn was free and we have never had bad quality food at any HIE that we have stayed at. The hotel is located just off the highway past the Kalahari and across from the outlet mall. Plenty of activities and restaurants right there within walking distance plus an easy drive to the other attractions throughout town. We will definitely stay here again during our summer visits to the Dells. (we usually stay at the Wilderness in the winter). All of the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I would assume that all of the rooms are of good quality, so it's just a matter of what type you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank j e

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! It was great to have you back again! I'm happy to see all the positives you found as we work very hard to ensure every guest feels this way! I have printed off your comments and will be sure to share them with our management team. In regards to the slide being closed; in the "off-season" our slide is only open on the weekends. I'm happy to read you and your family were still able to enjoy the pool. I'm also happy to see you got an opportunity to enjoy the breakfast! We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you again.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice little water park for smaller children and pool with slide for older children. Arcade room too. One of the best continental breakfast we have had...lots of variety, loved the pancake maker :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family