WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on credit card points to reduce the cost of the week trip. We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel.
Very nice front desk staff
Very clean
Very big room and clean! It was cleaner than the room we had at Kalahari
It was in a good location
There was a pool but mainly was designed for smaller kids but that is OK as that is not why we were there
Nice free breakfast each morning

Would stay here again. Good value for the Dells area.

1 Thank MN2MEXICO21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed one night
The bed was comfortable and the pillows were marked relative to their firmness a big plus.
The room looked recently updated and the bathroom was clean with no signs of mildew or mold.
The room was quiet and clean and the air worked well although a bit loud.
The breakfast area was tidy and pleasant enough and the food was average... not really my type of food. Another big plus to the hot water for my tea since it came from a spigot it was hot and did not taste like coffee.
The staff were helpful but a bit forced with their sincerity. They also had good recommendations for dinner.

Room Tip: if you can stay on the second or third floor less parking lot noise and no smell of chlorine from th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The staff here is extremely friendly. We arrived much earlier than expected and front desk allowed us to use the pool until our room was ready.

We stayed in a 3rd floor Executive King room which was nice as there was no over head noise. The room was clean and also had a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker.

All in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Edgewood, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stay in Holiday Inn Express a lot, both on business and on holiday. I use them almost exclusively on holiday because I get a great value for my IHG Reward points. Plus, I know generally what to expect as they don’t vary much between properties. Having never been to Wisconsin Dells, I had no idea what to expect of this particular property since it was in a resort area.

It turns out that I got a great value and a great location. Well - that is once I found it. The address on the website said this hotel was in Wisconsin Dells, so I put that in my GPS. Oops. I ended up miles away somewhere near a giant pink flamingo. I finally figured out I was lost and when I called the hotel for help the pleasant young lady on the phone told me to try entering Baraboo. Okay. Baraboo it is. My GPS took me straight to the door. That said, there is only one Holiday inn Express in the area, so if you pass by… you just missed it.

Now about the property itself. Check in was extremely efficient, and every staff person I encountered was professional, pleasant, and helpful. In fact, I was extremely impressed with the personnel. Kudos to the management on your hiring and training.

This was a special trip with our 13 year-old grandson, so we had requested a king suite with a sofa bed, which worked beautifully for the three of us. The “suite” was actually one large room with a partial wall dividing the bed from the area with the sofa, so there was some semi-privacy. The sink was in the room, not with the bathtub and toilet. Normally I don’t care for this setup, but with the three of us it allowed for more multi-tasking while we were getting ready for the day.

There were a couple of issues with the room itself. First, if you stay here be sure to bring your own multi-outlet extension cord(s). There are very few outlets and none are next to the bed. (Knowing that these days guests travel with multiple electronic devices, I still haven’t figured out why every hotel hasn’t invested in bedside lamps with incorporated outlets!) With three people charging phones, laptops, game systems, hairdryers and curling irons it became a juggling act. We also had some problems with the AC. It never did work properly and we had to turn it off each time we turned the temperature up or down because the unit would switch to heat. We finally figured out a way we could make it work, but I believe the whole unit just needs to be replaced.

Holiday Inn Express has always been a good value for families because of the “free” breakfast. Combine this with an area known for amusement/water parks and you have potential for chaos. The breakfast serving space was crowded, but the staff kept the food filled and the area as clean as humanly possible. In all my travels, this was one of the most well-organized and well-tended breakfast areas I’ve ever encountered. I did find it odd though, that in a resort area the breakfast hours were different for the work week and the weekend. I would think always observing weekend hours would be more appropriate since I doubt there is a huge crowd of business travelers needing those early morning breakfasts.

The hotel has a program allowing you to “opt out” of daily housekeeping service in exchange for a couple of 2-for-1 coupons. We preferred no service anyway, so we took advantage of the offer. It turned out to be a good deal because the coupon helped us reduce our costs on a couple of major attractions. Housekeeping didn’t get the memo though, and still left a note on our door saying they couldn’t clean our room because we left a “do not disturb” sign on the door. Had we not left it, housekeeping would have entered the room even though we requested no service. It wasn’t a problem for us at all, but I would suggest a master list be provided to staff so they would all be aware.

The hotel has a hot tub and two very nice swimming pools, one indoor and one outside. Both pools had water slides which my grandson declared to be pretty awesome.

And as for the hotel in general? In the words of my grandson, I declare it pretty awesome. Well done, Baraboo/Wisconsin Dells Holiday Inn Express. Well done.

3 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I want to start off by saying that all the staff and everyone we interacted with was very kind and friendly.

Now, my review:
1) The breakfast was okay. There are just a couple of tables by the reception area, so if you get there and don't find a seat, you have to stand there and wait until someone else is done eating. To my liking, that was a bit weird.
2) The rooms are very small, for the price I paid, I expected more, but they were pretty clean.
3) The pool... my biggest dissapointment. I read on other reviews that people complained abou the pool being very very cold. Well, I figured by the time I got there, that problem didn't exist anymore. To my surprise, the pool was unbearably cold on Wed and Thursday (I complained to the lifeguard and he said the heater was on, but trust me, that heater in the pool was NOT on)... So I asked at the reception area, and the young lady assured me they had just replaced the heater a few months ago and that it should be working. To my suprise, Friday and Saturday morning the pool was heated again. My thought on this is that they might cut down on the pool heat during the week, since my family was the only one there...along with maybe 2 other families... tops!

Other than that, if you're going to just sleep in the hotel, it's not a bad choice, but if you expect to spend more time at the hotel, i'm sure you'll find better options.

1 Thank ErikaD0m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear ErikaD0m,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I chose to stay here for a conference I was attending rather than pay the high price the resort was charging where the conference was. Overall we were very happy with our choice.

We arrived several hours early and we thought we would have to wait to get our room. However, we were told the room was ready and we could get right in. During check-in they brought out a dice game and announced that because I was an IHG rewards member I was entitled to roll for some perks like ice cream treats or extra reward points. Fun!

The place was quiet enough and the breakfast was fairly decent. In the room we had the sink was outside of the bathroom which was a little strange at first but it allowed us to get ready at different times. The hotel is close to all of the amenities and is right off the highway. It has a little store by the front desk and lots of free parking as well.

A final note - being vegetarians we ate at The Cheese Factory both nights we were in the Dells. The place was awesome and usually packed with families. We highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank codemonkeyken
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Luckily got one of the last rooms after checking out early of another hotel that under delivered.
Check in was a breeze and front desk staff was very courteous. Room was clean and spacious.
The indoor pool was perfect for our son and the outdoor pool was prefect on a sunny day. The staff was very friendly and always asked how our stay was going, a nice touch.
It was a plus having life guards working the pool areas. Even though the pools are not huge it's nice having the rules enforced since there are a lot of young children using the pool areas.
Breakfast was great but I recommend getting to it early,got very busy and clogged around 9:15.
Would definitely stay here again, a great alternative to the large water parks.
The only reason I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 is due to price. Paid $289 for a double queen. Yes I know it is summer in the Dells but as far of value it's a stretch.