“Asthma and allergy sufferers beware”

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #25 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We arrived at this hotel after a long day of driving and were very glad to finally get off the road. While my wife went in to register the kids and I stayed in the van. After almost a half hour I began getting concerned. She and the kids have asthma and allergies so when she arrived to the room it smelled like cigarette smoke. It was a non-smoking room, but evidently someone didn't read the rules. She asked for another room and sadly that one smelled like Febreeze or something along those lines that gives her a bad asthma attack.

When my wife went back to the front desk and explained what happened the front desk clerk, she began arguing with my wife that the smell wasn't Febreeze but something made by Ecolab. It doesn't really matter who made it because my wife was in the beginning of a full blown asthma attack which lasted the rest of the night.

The clerk was very rude and refused to refund our night's stay. Fortunately my wife's tenacity won out and they did refund the money. I'm glad we didn't stay there for the mere fact that if the front desk clerk was that rude and insulting and couldn't understand that it was beyond our control with the smells in their hotel and our asthma.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank champster117

Reviewed July 15, 2011

This used to be the Camelot, this was the first time staying here since the switch. Overall I'd say average. Staff was pleasant, I wouldn't say friendly. The room was pretty small, but clean and nice. Nice size refrigerator. Flat screen tv. The breakfast was decent. Biscuits and gravy, eggs, toast, cereal, cinnamon rolls, the usual. They were constantly out of breakfast items, plates, utensils etc. The room with the breakfast items is extremely small. I was looking for the pancake maker, but didn't see it. After I was just about finished with breakfast, my daughter found it on the opposite side of the dining room. It would have been nice to have had a sign in the room with the breakfast items that they had a pancake maker and where it was. The dining area is pretty small so everything was filled, they have additional tables in the game room area, but it is in by the pool, so you have to use your room key to unlock the door to get to the tables, which is pretty tough to do holding a plate and beverage, you have to hope someone will get up and open the door for you, like we did several times for other people. We did not use the pool, but it looked clean and a nice size. There is also a hot tub, but I didn't look at it. Overall nice and clean, but they could make improvements to have this hotel standout from the rest a little more. We received a late check out which was greatly appreciated. They have free wi-fi, but it took forever for it to connect, like 1/2 hour.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Hello,
Thank you so much for the feedback. As you stated the breakfast area can be a little tricky during the summer months when we are a full house. I guarantee you we strive to exceed expectations and do the best we can while serving. I have spoken with the breakfast crew to ensure your issues aren't a reacquiring problem. We have instituted your suggestion with the signage in regards to the pancake machine and we thank you for the idea. We hope you decide to stay with us next time you are in the area.
Thanks,

Jesse

Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in June for a business trip. Upon entering the city, I noticed all the water and theme parks in the city. This town seems to be a huge tourist location with plany of things to do. I stayed there 4 nights 5 days and at lunch and dinner, and i still had many many places I wanted to eat that I did not get to.

This hotel has a wonderful indoor and outdoor pool with a water fall and water slide. The breakfast area was great and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well. The hotel is large, and offers lots of space to roam around. It is tucked back away from the main road so traffic noise / loud tourists are not an issue. it sits near a large field and every night around 6:00 I watch the whitetail deer come down and eat and exercise.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone interested in staying in Wisconsin Dells.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sti1471

Hello,
Thanks so much for the positive words. We take great pride in being one of the best hotels in the Wisconsin Dells area. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Thanks,

Jesse

Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed here from Sunday-Tuesday and had no problems. The location is close to the outlet mall and numerous other fast food/dining options and a quick drive to the big attractions. We found the rooms to be clean, beds comfortable, and not an ant is sight. I felt comfortable not wearing flip flops in the shower. However, my hubby was walking back and forth between our parties' two rooms and his socks were completely black. The pool area is decent. They have a cute little pool area for smaller kids and one waterslide (don't expect to break any speed records on this one, we saw people getting stuck. hilarious!). The outdoor pool area looked nice, but it was too cold outside. The outdoor pool has a waterfall and another waterslide. Younger kids would have fun with this one, but if you have teenagers, they will probably be bored so don't go here just for the pools! ;) The game room only had a few games and one of the machines didn't work after putting our money in. The front desk had no problem giving us our change back, but didn't seem too worried that the game was broken. I guess someone else runs the game room (which was about 150 degrees, by the way). The breakfast provided was really decent. They had biscuits and gravy, omlette type things, sausage, ham, bagels, muffins, apple juice, orange juice, cereal, donuts, and skim or 2% milk.

Really a nice place to stay and we will probably end up staying here again. The front desk staff was really nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank iheartplaya
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My family, which includes 3 children ages 18, 13, and 7 had a wonderful time at the Holiday Inn Express in Wisconsin Dells. It's hard to sometimes find a vacation spot that’s pleasing to everyone from all age categories but Wisconsin Dells offered that and much more. The hotel was very nice. My children enjoyed the pool area and spent quite a bit of time there. The staff was very nice and helpful. We had to call several times for more towels and they were knocking on our door in less than 5 minutes each time. I was thoroughly impressed and would DRFINITLY recommend this hotel. Also the breakfast was AWESOME. They had a very nice menu and my children were well pleased. There were lots of things to do close by the hotel. The outlet mall which was located across the street was a great experience. I must say, they had some of the best deals I’ve ever seen at an outlet mall. My husband and son are both barbeque connoisseurs so of course we had dinner at Famous Dave’s which was very good. I was thoroughly impressed and would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel. We had a GREAT time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SunshineNSTL
Reviewed June 6, 2011

First off this is a hotel that had a major upgrade to change over to a Holiday Inn Express (used to be the Camelot). I have stayed here numerous times as a convenient stop off the highway when traveling for business. It is easy to get to, very close to all types of dining, and basically across the street from the outlet mall. The staff here is great! Please remember that the Dells area is a tourist town and it is more difficult in these locations to keep good staff. The pool area would be awesome for smaller kids. It is kept clean and is pretty quite during the winter months. The room layout is like many hotels used to be, but amenities are updated. I believe most of the rooms are switched over to flat screens now. The rooms have always been clean, and my worst complaint would be an occasional light bulb burnt out and dated microwaves. In my opinion the hotel rooms are average, the amenities (breakfast, workout room, pool area, reception area, conference rooms, discount options for skiing/snowboarding) are very good, and the staff is excellent! On top of that you just can not beat the value of this hotel in this city.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank psopsic
Reviewed May 30, 2011

After checking in, we found popcorn all over the floor and chair and asked to be moved to a new room. We settled into the new room and found that the toilet did not work. After maintenance "fixed" it, we tried to take a nap only to find the sheets did not fit the bed. I don't know about you, but I don't want to touch a mattress that 1,000's of people have slept on. When we returned to our room much later that night, the toilet was running and it ran all night. It also stopped working AGAIN. I called Michael [--], the general manager, to complain about our stay (We were only staying 2 days!!!) He laughed at me on the phone, didn't take anything I said seriously, refused to return our money for our first night's stay, then slammed the phone down in my ear. (This Holiday Inn has a policy that if you are unhappy with your stay, you don't pay. Well we still had to.)They moved us to a new room, which upon pulling the sheets down, found stains all over them. We started referring to it as Hotel Hell and spent as little time there as possible. If you want a relaxing atmosphere where they treat you kindly, STAY CLEAR OF THE HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!! I have never been treated so rudely!!! And by a manager no less.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple