“Nice indoor park, not so nice lodging”
Review of Mt. Olympus Resort

Mt. Olympus Resort
Ranked #66 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed the past 2 nights at Mt. Olympus with my wife and toddler son (in winter).

The indoor water park and indoor theme park were nice but relatively small. We spent most of our time in the water park. The water was very warm and the place was not very crowded, which was nice. There's a kiddie play land w/ wading pool and slides, a regular smallish pool, a lazy river and a couple of water slides (with tube rafts and without).

The indoor theme park was also nice but small. There were a couple of rides appropriate for my toddler son (teacups and trolley ride) and a few rides for older kids (bumper cars, go carts, roller coaster, and some games).

The food in the water park is pretty crappy, over-priced cafeteria food (hot dogs, burgers, nachos, pizza, salads) and the beer and drinks are expensive. Thankfully there is a "proudly serves Starbucks" coffee hut at the theme park.

To sum up the theme park and water park: Nice, but small. Not too crowded. Crappy, over-priced food available.

The hotel itself . . . we were lodging in an "off campus" motel thing a mile or so down the road. The room was big enough but lacked a lot of common ammenities. The wi-fi was so slow and unreliable it was basically unusable. The flooring was laminate "wood" with no carpeting or rugs, which quickly got messy in the winter time. The toilet was loud when flushing. The microwave was from the 80s or something (but worked). The mini fridge was big enough but sometimes loud. The hotel was also loud. we could hear lots of stomping from other guests. I'm sure our screaming toddler also kept our neighbors up late at night, too *sorry!

To sum up the hotel: Not on-campus. Wish the wi-fi worked. Could have been better.

Anyway, we paid less than 200 bucks including taxes and fees (through a promotion) for 2 nights in the winter, and we enjoyed the park enough, where it was worth it, despite the shortcomings.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the Rome Hotel. It's right on campus. everything else is a short drive aw...
1  Thank FlatBot
Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I'm glad to hear that you, your wife and son enjoyed your time in our indoor water and theme parks during your stay! I do however apologize for the room amenities not being as enjoyable. I will be forwarding your review to the correct department heads for further review so we may take care of these issues for the future. I would like to thank you for reviewing our resort and sharing your stay with us. We do hope you stay with us again and give us another chance to give you and your family a more pleasant experience. Thank you again!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night July 2013. We stayed in the village which was a short drive to the water park and amusement park. We loved the rooms, clean and spacious. The check in was smooth and liked that when your room was ready they will text you. This hotel is a great value as it includes the water park and amusement park the entire day that you check out. We will return this summer !!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank canukbajan

Thank you for sharing your past stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed all the indoor and outdoor water and theme parks during your July stay with us! We can't wait to see you back with us again this summer!. Thank you for being a loyal guest !

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband, 2-year old son and I stayed at Mt. Olympus, Hotel Rome last week (Wed-Sat). It was an OK place to stay. My son loved the water park and the amusement park. They had nice amenities for children that were his age/height. The hotel itself was another story. The first night we checked in, I called and asked for 2 extra pillows. 30 minutes later, the front desk called and asked if I had received my pillows yet. We had not. It took at least 20 more minutes before they came (and they are located in a locked storage bin right outside our room -- seriously don't understand why it took that look to get 2 pillows). Our toilet kept "sticking" and running a lot during our whole stay. I am 6 months pregnant and had THE WORST sleep I have ever had of my life on the mattress that we slept on. The springs were practically rising out of the mattress and it hurt my shoulders to lay on it. The last night we were there, my husband realized that someone had flipped the mattress over and we were laying on the "down" side that's not supposed to be slept on. When we flipped it back over, there was a HUGE stain on the mattress. I am not sure what it was but it left me feeling completely gross all night long (we were SO sleep-deprived that we made sure the stain was at our feet and put extra sheets on the bed and slept. After all, it was the last night we were there. When we checked out, I let the front desk staff know about the bed and all he could say was "I will let someone know about it". There was no real apology, no offer to comp some of our stay (I don't need a free night, but some sort of compensation would have been nice), nothing. He just said he would let the staff know about it. I was afraid we were going to get charged for it...no sign of it as of now.
Overall, I would say this place is an okay place to stay. Although when the hotel got busy on Friday night, the waterpark was packed and people aren't very nice. They are very rude in the lazy river pushing you and swimming under you, and the older kids run around the smaller kid pool and there were many times my son got sprayed in the face with water.
I don't think we will go back. Next year, we will try another place with an indoor waterpark and see how that goes.

Room Tip: Choose a room in Hotel Rome - it's connected and you don't have to travel outside to get to...
1  Thank Jennah2103
Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I'm please to hear that your son enjoyed himself in our water and theme park. I however apologize for your dissatisfaction about your room accommodations. We strive to make our guests stay with us as enjoyable and comfortable as possible by trying to fix any issues that may arise during their stay. We would have been more than happy to fix your mattress issue for you so you would not of had such an uncomfortable nights sleep. If you would like to discuss this further with our management team they would be more then happy to speak with you and try to make this better for you. We would like a chance to have you back with us again in the future. Feel free to contact our team at 1-800-800-4997 and simply ask for the manager on duty. Thank you again!

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Happily surprised with a very clean room! Cool water temp at indoor pool was cold for me (adult)! We checked in around 12 noon, early and luckily our room was ready! However, after1pm the check in line was one if the longest I've ever seen, even with 5-7 front desk staff trying to get everyone checked in.

So here's the details. Last winter we stayed at a more economical/cheaper hotel. This year we chose Mt Olympus, which was much better (cleaner, neater, better indoor waterpark), but more expensive than before, but not as expensive as the higher end indoor waterpark hotels.

At this place if you stay in the hotel part, Mt Olympus, you go up some stairs, down a long hallway that connects you to stairs that lead you down to the indoor pool. It basically has a kiddie pool, big pool, lazy river, water slide, adult whirlpool and family whirlpool for kids 5 and older (not too big so was always full). so the pools are nice if you have never been to the upscale indoor pools your kids will think this is the bomb! My kids are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. The 3 yr old really like the swimming but the 1 yr old had a tough time bc the flooring of the pools is this rough sharp texture, probably for slippage. But our 1 yr old still crawls so we had to hold his hands the whole time which was kinda tiresome and cold. Basically bc of the colder water and flooring we didn't stay long which is kind if a bummer bc that was the whole reason to stay in the dells.

We were very happy with the room bc it was very clean. No carpet probably bc everyone swims, but didn't bother us. At first we got a room with 2 queens but later I saw a room with a queen and bunk beds, and they switched us no problem and it was actually a few dollars less which the refunded back to my card, which was pretty cool. At night out neighbors had about 3 kids with them so they were noisy till about 9:30. You can hear noise easily, but when you go to a place like this, you have to expect that just to be fair.
Room was very warm which you could control. Had a flat screen tv but was only a 25 in screen
I think, kinda small to us bc we have bigger at home and we tried to swivel it but I think it was locked in place, basic cable with HBO I believe.

I have to mention that the bed we slept in was excellent. Very firm mattress and comfortable.

Did not eat at hotel, so no comment.

The hotel staff was very nice and friendly.

They also had a free indoor amusement park, but rides are very limited. But it was free. I wouldn't go here just for that.

Overall I liked the place a lot but would always compare the prices of this place with the high end indoor water parks.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your room style, amenities and the indoor water and theme park. We hope to see you back with us in the future. Thank you again!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We went here dispite the Bad review they had and it was ok.

Hotel Room - When driving to the resort it was quickly realized we made a mistake and we must upgrade our room from the village to the Hotel Rome( main Hotel). They have these " Villages" all over the place and they looked a little shady we didnt want to take the chance so we upgraded the min. we walked in. We were in room 10307 2 Queen beds with Bunk Beds and it was ok .The rooms had fake hard wood floors and they squeeked and cracked and popped so bad that you woke everyone up if you get up in the middle of the night. The lighting was really bad in the room and the bathroom seemed dirty the sink is not in the bathroom it was the room where you enter the room on the other side of the room from the bathroom. The hallways looked like they had never been vacumed. After upgrading for 105.00 extra dollers I was NOT happy. Dont plan on sleeping until the water park closes because kids just run up and down the halls until 11 pm at least.
I have also left reviews of the water park and Indoor them park and (Christmas Mountain which is a MUST DO)

Indoor Water park- only 4 Big Slides and 1 Lazy River they do have a pirate ship area for small children. Spa area we didnt use .You can only stay so busy on 4 slides. We spent about 2 hrs here and we were done.

Indoor Theme Park - my 15 yr old road the go Karts that were slow and only went in a small circle. and the Bumper cars after that he was done. My 9 and 10 yr old enjoyed the roller coster and bumper cars and go karts also but they were done after that also. ( NOT WORTH THE TIME)

2 Hrs on Christmas Mountain 5 Stars( Best thing we did)Its free with your stay at Mt Olympus
The most fun was the 2 Hrs of FREE snow tubing at Christmas Mountain. ( PLAN ON DOING THIS from 7-9 PM under the lights there was not wait and very few people on the mountain. unlike the 2 hr wait they had at 1:00. We had a Blast we have ages 15, 9, 10 and it was awesome.
Mt Olympus also gave us a 15.00 gas cert. while we were there that was nice.

It was a nice time with the family but I dont think I would stay here again. They would need to really WOW me next time.

1  Thank disney30

I would like to thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I'm glad to hear that you took advantage of the free snow tubing that comes with your stay and the gas card promotion. I do however apologize for the issues you had with the room and parks. I will be forwarding your concerns to the appropriate department heads for further review so we may fix these issues for our future guests. I would like to thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention. I do hope you give us another try in the future!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Had a great time with 4 kids (8 through 1) in January. I would recommend staying in the 2 bedroom suites, which look like time-shares. The building is attached to Hotel Rome through an indoor walkway. The rooms I think, are MUCH nicer than the Hotel Rome Rooms. Fireplace, Full Fridge, More Privacy, 2 bathrooms...

Some Notes:

I would say this is fine for younger kids, or those who aren't expecting many many slides. We stayed indoors, and our kids are easily impressed (I'm not sure what adults/teens would do for any length of time).

It was lot of walking from our building to the pool area, but no one seemed to mind.

The indoor theme park is small (as noted many times) but kids didn't really seem to care. Younger kids (or less than 48") will not be able to go on all the rides.

Free Snow Tubing nearby with stay. This was AWESOME! SO MUCH FUN!

FREE $15 GAS Card with our stay (based on promotional period).

I've noticed that their online promotion change depending on the time of day (weird, isn't it?) so check often.

It's not a 5 star hotel, so I'm not giving it 5 stars (some maintenance needed in the room, couch was ripped and dirty), but we would definitely go back until the kids get older (and less easy to please).

Staff WAS friendly all around.

2  Thank hud500

Thank you very for taking the time to review our resort. I'm glad to hear that your children enjoyed themselves in our indoor water and theme parks here at Mt. Olympus! We do hope to see you and your family back with us again, perhaps during the summer months when you can take advantage of all out outdoor water and theme park too! Thank you again!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

So it is winter in Wisconsin and we thought we would take or granddaughter to an indoor water park in Wisconsin Dells for her 3rd birthday. We saw a promotion for Mt Olympus and thought it would be fun. So we went online to book. We looked carefully at the room choices and made sure we clicked on "Rome" every time because it was connected directly to the water park. Caution!! In the middle of the page, on what they call a "banner" are the words Mt Olympus Village in very small print. We foolishly thought that Mt Olympus as a resort was Mt Olympus Village, but NO, everything EXCEPT Rome is the village. So now here we are. We booked our room with a bunk bed for our granddaughter and thought we were all set. Wrong! We were booked off site 1/2 mile away. Did I mention it is winter in Wisconsin? Water park, wet hair and bodies, and winter air... Our paperwork noted if we wanted we could upgrade for an additional charge. So we checked into that. For DOUBLE the price we could have a room in Rome, where we originally
thought we had booked. The nice manager did discount some more that but it was still $110.00 more than we originally planned to spend. She was quick to stress that there was a "banner" after the Rome room listings that stated we were not booked there but in the "village". I stated I was confident that we were not the only people who had this problem. She said she was sorry we had a problem without confirming that. We called around and found the Polynesian which we could book for less. This was a smaller place and as it turned out better geared to our 3 year old. We called Mt Olympus back to cancel and now we were at the sticky policy of the $30.00 non-refundable deposit. I again expressed my dissatisfaction and a manager, probably the same poor woman I had complained to earlier, waived that fee. My advice, stay away in the winter unless you want to spend the big bucks and stay at Rome and not the Village. Be sure you know where you are staying as the woman we booked with at the Polynesian said they heard the same story as ours many, many times! She said her daughter booked there and did not realize until she arrived that she was not where she thought and there would be an up charge or a forfeit of her first night's costs to cancel to be where she wanted. Mt Olympus is dead to us, discount or not.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lori M

I would like to thank you for taking a moment to share your stay with us. I want to apologize for any confusion there was while booking your stay with us. We do try our very best to make it clear to our guests what they are booking on line by noting whether or not the room style they are looking at is at Hotel Rome; our premier hotel connected to the hotel or a "village". The village rooms are located in one of our resort buildings that surround Mt. Olympus Water & Theme park and are spread over the famous Wisconsin Dells Strip. We have this noted numerous times throughout the online reservation process and in the confirmation email sent to all guests. Again I would like to apologize for any confusion. If you would like to discuss this further with a management team member please contact them at 1-800-800-4997 and ask for the manager on duty.