“Just read reviews before you go!”
Review of Mt. Olympus Resort

Mt. Olympus Resort
Ranked #65 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I give Mt Olympus 4 stars because I knew what I was getting. Many of the reviews are unfair because consumers felt they were misled. Just understand that if you are staying at Rome then you will pay more and get to stay onsite so you don't have to drive to and from the park. Its an ok resort and the parking is far more convenient. If you are staying at a "Village " then most likely you will be driving to the park every day and parking in the general lot (it is free for you as a resort/village guest). You will have a long walk into and out of the park and there is a very steep incline walking out every day. This could be a problem for some.

I would not pay peak prices to visit here. It will be very crowded and over priced. They do allow day passes and often offer ridiculously cheap deals to non-resort guests (even free admissions to pack the park full as often as possible to cash in on parking and concessions from day pass guests).

My 4 star review is based on my family visiting the last week of August. We took our kids out of school for 3 days and enjoyed 90 degree weather and light crowds. Our room only costs seven ty dollars per night and included all the coaster, go-carts, and water park. The coasters are large but we only road two of them and were too sore to continue. They are very rough wooden coasters. The outside waterpark and go-carts are great. The inside water park and inside "amusement park" are about 15 minutes of fun for any kids over 10. They can swim but obviously if the weather is bad and the outside park is closed, it's going to be crowded.

We stayed a couple nights at Wilderness and really enjoyed it as well. If you can get a great price for Mt Olympus when the outside park is open, I would give it a try. The Poisidon Rage wave pool throws 9 foot waves and is great fun for all. If it's off season and you have to stay indoors, hit Wilderness as they have 3 decent indoor parks and no day passes!

As for our room, it was only ok. They did leave crums on the floor from previous guests which is silly since its fake hardwood. Just sweep it up? My wife was nervous as we pulled up as there is no office staff on-site and it feels unsafe. Our "village" was kind of secluded and since its an old motel you just don't feel secure. Once you are locked into your unit its ok. The bunk bed was nice and it felt like a nicer Red Roof inn or lesser Best Western. Obviously not what you would want to see if you pay top dollar but for us the room was basically free since it included the park admissions.

Also, based on other reviews we packed a cooler for lunch but with the long walk we conceded and ate in the park. The prices weren't any worse than a normal amusement park. Nothing compared to Disney or Ballpark prices.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask how you can stay nearest to the park. One village is almost within walking distan...
5  Thank Jason C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

signed up for one of those discounted time share deals and they put us here. Looks good from the outside but the inside could use a good cleaning and the inside waterpark wasn't anything special. The room was done pretty cheaply the beds didn't even have boxsprings. the sheets felt damp, dark bathroom with bugs in the light fixture, paper thin walls, dirty carpet in the halls.

Room Tip: Go to Black Hawk motel, we stayed there first and with the free entry with Chula vista's water p...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayws2002
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and another girl went thier on sunday still crowded but not bad. Lets start with waterbpark it was nice got a lot of ride for every age. indoor park is ridiculous pack with tons of people. Hot tub inside the line is totally crazy. How could u enjoy sitting in hot water have 10 people look at u.

The room we stayed in village in look nice more than I expect but the wall is very very very thin I mean seriously thin .we woke up because the guy next door coughing like he's going to die .that's how thin the wall is but u know u get what u pay for

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Room was clean but small, general hotel, a little disrepair here and there. they are cheap, no extra shampoo or soap, and no towels at the water park, disappointing..... probably wont go back again.First room they gave us was dirty and not the view I was promised, they said it was a view of the water park and actually it was a view of the air conditioner.

Room Tip: stay at hotel rome if you visit this property, otherwise you might end up in a real dump.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were under the impression that everything was in 1 location. Well, the bldg of our hotel was 2 miles down the road! I wasn't planning on walking that distance or having to pile the whole family in the car every time we wanted to go do something! Not to mention, our hotel was dirty, the floors had stuff spilled on them (very sticky), the countertops hadn't been cleaned, the phone didn't work, the TV was old, no headboards on the beds, blanket on bed so thin, we could see through it. Basically, the owner of this "resort" bought out all the rinky dinky motels in the Dells, "remodeled them' and collectively called them Olympic Village. In reality, the same rinky dinky motels are just as sleazy and dirty as they were before. No wonder the prices here are cheap... because you get what you pay for! Needless to say, we made other arrangements and didn't spend a night or a dime here!

1  Thank Jen C
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Pros: Free admission to Mt. Olympus on all days of stay, including day of checkout, clean rooms, friendly staff, arcade in lobby, gift shop in lobby, room had a microwave and fridge

Cons: long line at check in, although it did move quickly, thin walls, the restaurants on property are overpriced, not enough parking, very thin walls - could hear conversations in the next room, small flat screen t.v.

Overall: Nice hotel to stay at and a good value for your money, but ask for a top floor away from other guests or go during off season

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bb0818
Reviewed September 8, 2013

First of all--I'll tell you a bit about our demographic. My husband and I both have PhDs and have visited the many of the Dells' waterparks (both indoor and outdoor). We are somewhat picky when we vacation because we can afford to stay at the nicer places (but who doesn't love a bargain!) I only mention our demographic since many of the reviews here claim that these parks are filled with trashy, poor people (I also really object to that classification, in general).

We'd steered clear of Mt. Olympus and its chain of hotels, in part, because of the exceedingly negative reviews featured here. There's a lot of weird talk about Mt. Olympus being "ghetto" and attracting a lower level of clientele than Wolf Lodge, Kalahari, etc. We've continually visited the latter two and I can can say that Mt. Olympus (at least its summer iteration) far, far surpasses the offerings at these locations. A few people wrote that the "have-nots" go to Mt. Olympus. In my opinion, the people that haven't gone are the have-nots. Anyway, I found this to be patently false. See below.

I was a little bored of alternating between Wolf, Wilderness, Noah's Ark and Kalahari. I have three kids (disparate ages--little kid, tween, teen) and after a while, the indoor water parks become pretty boring and painstakingly predictable. And, their prices seem to be rising. A few years back, one could go to the Wolf Lodge for right around one fifty. These days, that isn't happening. It's closer to two fifty for a prime weekend.

When I began to read the reviews on Mt. Olympus, frankly, I was scared away. Many reviewers complained about the awful beds, the sorry state of affairs at the Mt. Olympus Village Hotels, etc. The pictures they painted were really grim. A few reviewers said that if you were going to take the [awful] plunge, you should *only* take the gamble on Hotel Rome. Hotel Rome is about 70 bucks more a night. I went ahead and did this (against my better judgment--I usually like to save money, especially on things like a hotel room that will be used very briefly). I was still a bit nervous because people said that the pictures of the website were misleading (even for Rome).

The reviews couldn't have been more exaggerated. Now I'm left wondering if most of the reviewers frequent the Ritz and other glam hotels. (I highly suspect not, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.) Hotel Rome was comparable to Wolf Lodge, etc. In fact, I liked the wood laminate better than the carpet rooms. My only complaint was about the creakiness of the floors and the thin walls. This wasn't a major problem because with the kids, we wanted to be up and out early. Yes, if you [stupidly] plan your romantic getaway there, sans kids, you will not be pleased. This "ambiance" here does not cater to this. Surprise, surprise.

Now, on to describe the amazing parks. We happened to go after Labor Day (yesterday, 9/7, in fact). We were pleasantly surprised to find that they'd decided to open the outdoor waterpark (it was supposed to close for the season on Labor Day). What an amazing bonus on a 90 degree, cloudless sky day! The lines for the family tube rides were pretty long, but other than this, we didn't really wait. The children's park is amazing--it even has a mini "sink/toilet" bowl for young teens/kids. My personal favorite was the "wave" pool. I'd read about its fabulosity on here, but didn't know what I was in for. A nine foot wave rolls out every 2 minutes. This experience is a must! Regular wave pools give me anxiety because my tween and teen tend to push their limits and I'm always worried about keeping track of them and the little guy. At the Mt. Olympus pool, the wave rolls in, takes you down and you are back up in a split second. No worries about children not being able to negotiate the waves. Don't miss this.

The outdoor park is a lot of fun as well. We didn't experience any wait times, anywhere (well, there were slight waits for the go-carts). In fact, some of the cars were partially empty. The roller coasters are of the old-school wooden variety. As other reviewers have mentioned, they shake you up pretty badly. Be prepared to have some whiplash the next day. And be prepared to be quite sore if you decide to ride Hades (the coaster from Hell). Even my husband (rarely impressed) loved Hades. It is a psychological thriller and it races into a dark tunnel. By the end of the day, I was tired of roller coasters. In fact, a bit of a wait between each would have been fine by me!

The indoor theme park and the indoor water park are satisfactory. I probably wouldn't book a trip exclusively for these unless there was a huge discrepancy in price. In other words, during the winter months, I'd probably spend the 200 to go to one of the bigger indoor parks. I'd go to Mt. Olympus if the price was, say, 100 dollars less. There's enough to do, but it's primarily geared toward little ones. That said, the indoor water park was good enough. There are a number of slides and other things.

That said, I realize we happened to go during a sweet spot. It seems that the prices have dropped dramatically (we paid 169 + 20 dollar add on bracelet for one night at Hotel Rome). And, they opened the outdoor waterpark (another bonus we weren't expecting). And, it seems that the summer crowds have dissipated. I'm not sure my experience is typical.

Final thoughts--yes, there are a lot of Eastern Europeans who works/patronize these areas. A few reviewers didn't like this. (I have a stereotypical image of the mean-spirted reviewers in my head--it's not a very flattering one). I liked this and let's face it, Eastern Europeans happen to be better looking (I won't go there:)). I appreciated the diversity. And for the reviewer who was calling the people "ghetto", I'm not sure what this meant, but the clientele was the same as the folks at the other places in the Dells. Unless you can afford to rent out a water park for the day for you and your 100-closest upper crust friends, stop complaining. I'm guessing that most folks who come to these areas aren't in a position to do this.

Food was also fine, if a bit overpriced (nothing like it is a ballgame, etc.). In fact, drinks were pretty cheap (I don't drink in waterparks/amusement parks, but I saw them everywhere for 6 bucks). We ate at IHOP, had a snack in the park and then had pizza afterwards outside of the park.

We didn't rent lockers. We were a bit worried (because of the reviews) that maybe our stuff would be stolen (we always set it out in wolf lodge), but it was fine. We kept a closer eye on it than usual. All of our valuables were in our car, but who needs to deal with missing car keys. I didn't bring my set, so if my husband's were stolen, it meant we were going to be paying big money to have a locksmith come out and make a key.

Thanks, Mount Olympus for a great day!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family