“Great fun for the whole family!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed June 10, 2007

While driving up north to visit family, we decided to stop at the Kalahari Resort, it was wonderful! We even stopped back at Kalahari Resort on our drive back south! Suppose to be the largest indoor water park in the US. They also have a outdoor water park that's open during the summertime. We stayed in the basic room, but it still was very nice, larger then a normal hotel, had a little balcony, nice bathroom, small fridge, microwave. Our room was about $125.00/night, which included wrist bands for family of 4 to the waterpark. The resort had 3+ restraunts right inside the main building, something for every budget, they have the absolute best pizza I've ever had and it was HUGE, at the restaurant overlooking the waterpark. They even have a movie theater inside the resort! You really wouldn't need to leave the building your entire stay. They have all sorts of different types of rooms/ suites. I highly recommend it and look forward to staying there again! Our then 2 year old daughter and 14 month old son had a great time as well.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank kmb123
There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed June 9, 2007

arrived fri june8 left earll sat. morning. we wasn't there three hours before they accused my nephew of stilling i-pods, and cell phones. which wasn't true at all. they later apologized but the damage was already done. later that eveing the hotel security was carrying a photo of my husband asking people do the now him, so my sister called him down. They asked him what did he have behind his back, because his hands were behind his back in the photo, they were missing salt and pepper shakers yes salt and pepper shakers. My husband is a 41 year old business man. of course they found the salt and pepper shakers and tried to appologize but the damage was already done. this was a traumatizing experiance for me and my family. we've been going to the dells for the past 11 years same weekend every year never had problems. this was our first time staying at the kalahari.we will never go back to the dells again. A family tradition was ruined

6  Thank veryunhappy315
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Stayed here first time (second time in the Dells)(last year stayed over at GW) got great rate on hotel website right before rates skyrocket for summer. Stayed two nights - first day was hot, second day cooler and third day (leaving) was hot again. This place is huge! Lots of space to cover. We got a room at the Sands building - Hut room. Very nice and impressive (clean - great layout) for a basic room. We had balcony and were on 4th floor. Private pool by Sands building which is a nice little hidden gem, my husband and kids used it first night before we all headed over to the water park. Nice to have option of swimming in normal pool (as long as it is warm enough to swim outside!) if you just need to get wet but don't want to haul all the way over to the waterpark. If you are in the Sands be prepared to walk A LOT. Good for encouraging a healthy lifestyle I guess. Being so far away from the waterpark area really discouraging from going back and forth from your room. Also, if you stay at the Sands building DO NOT put bathing suits out on the balcony to dry - even if it is tempting - they will blow away. Two of my son's swim trunks flew to other balconies and by some miracle I was able to retrieve them but be forewarned ahead of time and learn from my experience.

The hotel and waterpark were crowded and it is PRIOR to big summer season. I cannot imagine the crowds here in the big summer months. I believe they allow outsiders (those not staying at the hotel to use the waterpark) I think that this is not good. Great areas in the indoor water park for the young kids - my almost 5 year old had a blast at Crocodile Cove - way in the back. My 8 year old was disappointed with no slide like the one over at GW where you go down face first on a rubber raft like a tobaggan, but he still had fun over in the middle section (can't think of the name) in the indoor water park. Kalahari does it right for adults the way the water parks are laid out - one big room - different sections which allow for parents to sit around areas kids are playing in and watch them very close up. GW not so good at this - I thought seats for parents were more scarce over there. However Kalahari has almost too many seats in the indoor water park? If I can say that? Mostly it is they have too many chaise loungers and not enough regular chairs for parents of children trying to watch their kids. What is with all the chaise loungers indoors? I picture these being much more useful outdoors when people are laying out getting suntans. Way too many chaise loungers indoors.

My husband ordered my kids 2 slices of pizza and they were $8 each (!)(ugh!). That is really ridiculous. Ate breakfast buffet at the Great Karoo (only served on Sat & Sun) and it was really good and kids were free with our package we booked on-line.

I would like to see Kalahari invest in a people mover system (possibly in the second floor corridor) over to main building for people who stay in the Sands building, or a shuttle bus system leaving every 20 minutes or so over from main lobby to Sands lobby or possiby a monorail a la WDW (ha!) (but yes, this place is that big).

I will come back but want to check out W first so I can say I have tried all 3 big mega resorts up in the Dells. Right now, I like K better than GW. My 5 year old agrees with me but my husband and my 8 year old liked GW better (hmmmm). After next time when we check out W I will have a better gage of all of them and what they have to offer exactly.

P.S. My friend's company had an outing at Kalahari in January of this year and are going back in one week and again in August (!) so this place must be doing something right, at least for company meeting groups.

3  Thank JenCumbo
Reviewed June 6, 2007

This was our first time at the Kalahari resort and we loved it! We have a 13 year old daughter and a 12 year old son and the resort was perfect for them. We were booked into a 'Hut' room and it was actually at the Sands at Kalahari and we liked being across the parking lot from the water parks. It was away from the hustle and bustle and quiet. It was large and had a small refrigerator, microwave, and a small desk/bar area and get this – pillow-top beds! There is a covered walkway that made it very easy for us to travel back and forth inside from the Sands to the water park without ever having to go outside. The Sands also had their own pool that no one must have thought was open because we had it to ourselves most of the time. It was still pretty cool in early June but the pool and the outdoor water park are heated so it didn't bother us much. The staff was exceptional in all areas including the water park lifeguards. The indoor water park opens to its guests an hour before the public and that’s the perfect time to use the flow rider to ride the ‘waves’. My son and husband got one-on-one tips from the lifeguard and plenty of time to try out the techniques they were taught. Lessons are available but we felt unnecessary. They seem to have thought of everything from a hanging line in the bathroom tub to plastic bags for wet swim suits at the indoor park desk. We only ate at Kahunaville but the food was very good. We are looking to book a winter ski trip back to Kalahari this winter.

3  Thank travel2scrap
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We just got back from a two night stay at the Kalahari. We stayed in a Nomad room, with a balcony overlooking the outdoor waterpark. The room, hotel and grounds were beautiful and very clean and well taken care of. It reminded us of our stays at all inclusives in Mexico. Our kids ages 9 and 13 loved the indoor and outdoor waterparks. Check in went just fine. It was not overly crowded as we were there on a Sunday and Monday night. We got a really good rate of $129 per night, and so it was definately worth the money. But, just know that everything you may want to buy there (like most of the dells) is very
expensive. They even charge 75 cents for local calls. There is no free internet access (I just wanted to check the weather radar), you had to use your credit card and pay $6 for 15 minutes. All in all the resort was very nice, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay again at this rate, but would not pay the prime season rates of about $300 per night.

2  Thank coldminnesotan
Reviewed June 5, 2007

My husband and I had been to the Dells three times prior, twice with our son who is now 5. We have stayed at Meadowbrook Resort, Atlantis,
and Grand Marquis. Each of them were fine but we wanted something bigger now that our son was older and able to handle bigger water slides. We were stuck between the Wilderness, Great Wolf and Kalahari. And we are VERY glad we went with Kalahari!

HOTEL: Upon entering the grounds, the hotel size is very overwhelming. It's got two sections divided by a skyway. We booked a
"Nomad" room and turns out we were in the main section of the hotel, which means our room could be accessed from the main lobby. I was very glad this was the case, because for the rooms in the other section of the hotel, it would mean more walking from the room to the pools, etc. (So just a note, make sure you know ahead of time where your desired room is). Anyway, the hotel lobby is fantastic. We arrived on a Sunday, and I was a little nervous observing the very long check-in line. However we were not only through the line within 10 minutes, but our room was ready at 1:00 p.m. (check-in is normally 4:00 p.m.) So right away we were happy! I had read that there are live animals on display in the lobby. This was true - there were lion cubs and a lemur. But the lemur was in a cage and the lion cubs were not accessible unless you wanted a very expensive photo taken with them. So cute, but not very exciting! Also on the grounds of the hotel is a full service movie theater - maybe a 10 minute walk from the hotel, but right next door. Extremely convenient, especially for us b/c it wasn't the greatest weather but it gave us another option for something to do!

FOOD: There are two main restaurants in the hotel and a few smaller cafe type places. Of course the food is overpriced but we knew that going into it. (Isn't that true in any hotel?) However the only
"negative" was the service in the Great Karoo restaurant. The staff seemed sort of clueless, and one server we had took forever to do anything, and it wasn't that busy. The Kahunaville was way better as far as service went. We had breakfast one morning in the Ivory Coast Lounge and their service was excellent, too. Finally there is the Sweet Hut! Amazing candy, sweets, ice cream, etc. Save room and get dessert there!

WATERPARKS: Hands down better than any of the other three resorts I mentioned. Indoor had 6 giant slides, and several smaller ones for littler kids. There were also lots of smaller play areas for smaller kids too. The outdoor park was more of the same - only bigger! Again the weather didn't cooperate much for us, but when we were outside there were staff walking around waiting to get drinks for you. Sure you have to tip them, but it was nice to be waited on! I didn't experience any of the lifeguard issues or other problems I saw written about here, either. They also have a wavepool, which we didn't realize until we got there, and of course the lazy river. The indoor waterparks also have little bars and places to sit and eat as well. My son had a blast!!!!

ROOMS: The room was oversized and had more than enough room for the three of us (two queen beds and a sofa sleeper). Our room also had a balcony, which was great. We were on the 4th floor and faced the parking lot - which I thought was good because some balcony rooms face the outdoor waterpark, and they play loud music from speakers for the outdoor pool area. So if for some reason you had to be in your room during the day, the music might be too loud. I definitely plan on making sure we get another parking lot room next time. The bathroom was spacious and the housekeeping service was excellent. The very large sink area was outside the bathroom, which is always good. The room came with a microwave and fridge, a HUGE plus especially since food is so pricey, to be able to keep our own pop, water and snacks was a bonus.

There is probably more but I can't remember it all! I can say that I was totally satisfied and definitely plan on coming back to Kalahari the next time. I'd heard great things and they were all fulfilled. And by the way, a lot of people complain about noise in a hotel and blame the staff. First of all, I am VERY sensitive to hotel noise. If someone slams their door I get irritated - and I will admit that although we were on the top floor, I did hear a lot of pounding coming from somewhere on two nights - but regardless, you can't blame the hotel for being "noisy." If you report the problem and they don't do anything, then you can give them negative reviews. So don't pay too much attention to the reviews here that say the hotel was "noisy." It's a crapshoot - you never know who's staying at the hotel when you are. But considering the amount of children that were in the hotel, I was happily surprised at how quiet it really was. And, they have "Quiet Zone" signs in each hallway, so if nothing else
there is a reminder to people who are clueless and rude. The front desk attendant also told me they have security guards who patrol the hallways, and I did see one. So they take every precaution
they can ahead of time.

Hope this helps everyone!

6  Thank MominIllinois
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We returned to our room at 10:15a.m. to find housekeeping already started cleaning our room and wiped out the fridge before we even checked out! Note check out time is 11:00a.m. Lifeguards were not very attentive.