“Great time w/ 5 yr old and 2 yr old”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I took our 2 kids (5 and 2) with my Mother-in-Law, and stayed here. We had a special from the internet for our basic room and waterpark tickets and amusement park tickets. At check-in I explained our situation (staying with MIL) and asked if they had any upgrades they could give us...and they did! The gave us a condo room with a kitchen, 2 bedrooms, living room, and balcony...for the rate of our basic room. Plus, staying in the condos, down the skyway from the main hotel, there was NO noise issue. I always say, it doesn't hurt to ask. The outdoor park wasn't open yet, but the indoor park was a great setup for our family. Our 5 yr old could go on almost all the slides (adult accomp. on the big ones), and there was a ton of stuff to keep our 2 yr old happy. There was also all kinds of waterplay for both kids, and enough "big slides" for us adults to keep interested. The whole resort was very clean and seemed safe. My husband rode the surfing thing, and there was little to no wait. NOTE: If you're going to ride the surfing thing, make sure your suit is secure...we saw several women loose their bikini bottoms and tops, and even a few guys loose their shorts. We went during the week, so the number of people was minimal, and the rates were less. Also, the indoor amusement park was a lot of fun too. 4 all-day wristbands came in our package, and that was great! **When you call to make a reservation, ask if there are any specials on the internet that you could access** There was go-carts, rock wall, a 3-story ropes course (which my husband and I were a little nervous on, but 5 yr old showed us how brave he was...this was an adult ropes course! what a great activity to grow confidence in our little guy), mini-golf, fun indoor playground for both the kids, lazer tag, carousel, etc. Lots of fun! We had 1 1/2 days at the waterpark, and 3/4 day at the amusement park. That was a good amount of time. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, seemed happy to have us there. We enjoy looking at all our pictures, and hope to go back again next spring.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank momma-mia-4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,942)

Reviewed September 21, 2009

I broke my collarbone on the first day on the first slide. The slide had a rough turn and I went slamming into the side of the slide. On this same slide my six year old, who was riding with me, slammed his head into the side of it, but luckily he was okay. Their on-site EMT lied in her report and said I said I wasn't holding on-- totally untrue-- I never said that and I most certainly was holding on to the raft. No one from the resort checked back in on me after I came back from the ER. We gave them a couple of days and then my husband went to the general manager's office. She was not even aware the accident happened, but still did not even offer a free meal or anything to make up for my pain and suffering. She gave my husband their insurance information, but when I got home and contacted the insurance company so that I could at least get my medical bills covered, I was told they only carry negligence insurance. According to their very rude insurance representative, unless I can prove negligence on their part, they will not be covering even part of the thousands of dollars in medical expenses I have and will be incurring.

In addition, the food at their restaurants is horrible and expensive, the cleaning staff takes all day to clean up your room, and their lifeguards are a bunch of teenagers who couldn't care less about their jobs.

3  Thank rytykaymom
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed on Aug 14th . We arrived at around 10pm. Are room was not ready? How could are room not be ready! So we waited in the hall while they finished the room. There were smashed chips on the hall floor outside our door they did not even vacuum them up. We always stay in a suite but chose a standard two double beds this time. We were only staying one night. The rate was to high to stay all weekend so we went else where. The room looked very worn and not very clean. This left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The public areas of the hotel were not kept up like they were the last time I stayed. The out door park was awesome. Over all The Kalahari is a great place to stay. I was just thrown off a little this time.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

me and my husband did research for a long time bc we wanted the perfect honey moon.we decided on kalahari we were ther for 2 nights all in all had agreat time .staff was nice water park was fun. it was really loud at night we could not sleep it sounded like a big party was going on in the next room .we paid are bill and left. 1 week later we saw kalahari took out 100$ from are credit card so we told the bank we did not allow this charge and we were not even ther when that money was taken out. the bank looked into it and told us they took out 50$ a day bc the room was extra messy.what the [--]. of chorse are room was not messy we would never leave a room like that .we think they do this alot just to make money. we are still trying to deal with this with the bank. so that is why i dont recomend enyone stay ther .once u give them your credit card # they will take what they want without your permissoin .

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Our family spent a few days at Kalahari Resort and really enjoyed the stay. We were at the Sands building which was very nice and had a quiet, adult oriented pool. The building is attached via a walkway, however it's shorter to cut through the parking lot. The water parks were nice but due to cooler weather, the lazy river was closed outside. The place is perfect for small children. My children are older, and while we enjoyed the waterparks, they also enjoyed relaxing at the pool. The restaurants are a bit pricy but not much different than any of the other "family" restaurants in the area. Happy Hour at Damon's was great - spent $10 total on two appetizers which filed us up for most of the evening. We also took advantage of the Happy Hour bowling and appetizer special. The arcade is fun but you can spend money quickly. Our package included the theme park. I don't know if I would pay $20 extra per person however. I really think that should be included in the package price for staying at the hotel. Overall, a very nice experience. I would recommend to other families visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mediagirl25
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Honestly my family and I went in "05" so I'm a lil late at writing this. This place was AWESOME!!!! We had so much fun and everything was perfect. It was very clean and the rooms were big and beds were comfy. The staff was very helpful and on point with everything. It was a bit expensive but with all the fun we had it didn't even matter. All the food was great and being a chef that was my main reason for going since I really didn't even want to. Best choice I made. We were traveling with four adult women, three teenaged boys, a teen girl, and a four year old. Everyone had a blast and we will be going back. You couldn't go to a better place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank TribalTravler
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We go to the Dells about twice a year and never have stayed at the Kalahari..Too expensive...well we got a great deal and stayed August 24/25. They had a deal that you got FREE TOMMY BARTLETT watershow tickets, and admission to their new feature at the hotel. The Hotel is very very clean, outside and inside waterpark verry clean. We checked in within 15 minutes of arrival, and got a room near the elevator. Rooms were good sized and came with micro/frige.. We also went Horseback riding at the Canyon creek Stables, between Kalahari and Wilderness and that was first class. Great Horses and Great Guides.. Another place to check out is MONKS sports bar and restaurant, wonderful food and service, quick and not too expensive... I would rate this trip the best that we have had, since we have been comming to the dells for ten years now!

1  Thank bkmillr