“Best Overall Place to stay & do Things in the Dells”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Overall Place to stay & do Things in the Dells”
Reviewed August 3, 2005

We checked into the Kalahari with our 2 children ages 8 & 9 in June and were upgraded from a regular Desert room to a 2 room family suite with 2 bathrooms on the first floor right by the outdoor pools. When we opened the door to the room my childrens faces were lit, our room was spacious. We have been to many hotels but the Kalahari takes the cake.
The service was great and the people who work there were very friendly and helpful. There are plenty of things and activities to do for everyone and I very much enjoyed the crafts and shirt painting myself.
Both indoor and outdoor pools and slides are great and everyone had a great time. The life gaurds were very alert to every move.
We did not dine at the restaurants there other than the snack bars but the prices are the same even if you leave the resort.
Wal-Mart is just down the street if you really need to watch your money.
I would recommend this place to anyone since we drove from Houston for this wonderful experience. I just wish we would have stayed here before.
Bottom line-this is a clean, well-priced, resort that is great for kids and adults. We are definitely going back!
We are already planning for next years vacation at the Kalahari!

• Stayed June 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Rolling Meadows Ill.
Reviewed August 1, 2005

Me and my family travel every year. Somtimes twice a year. We go camping And stay in hotels. We have been going to Wisconsin Dells since 1998. And have seen all the changes. And have been in most of the hotels from low priced to high priced. The Kalahari Resort is the best for rooms and swimming. The second is chula vista. These are the only two hotels we will be staying at from now on. Thank you!

10 Thank Lisa M
Reviewed July 28, 2005

We originally booked (in May) for our 2 night stay at the Great Wolf Lodge as it was the #1 ranked hotel in Wisconsin Dells. I thought I was getting a good deal booking the Kid's Suite for $309/night (Thurs. & Fri.) I just happened to check Trip Advisor 4 days before leaving and a reviewer wrote that the Great Wolf's outdoor water slides were under construction. They did not mention this at the time I booked the hotel. I spoke with an employee of the Great Wolf who confirmed my discovery. She stated that her 13 year old daughter does get bored more easily because the slides are out of commission. I cancelled my reservation taking a $25 loss.

I promptly checked with the Kalahari and they gave me a Royal African Queen Suite for $324/night. For our family of 6 it was well worth it - 1 king bedroom, 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds, a living room and 2 bathrooms.

The kids (ages 13,12,6,3) had a blast! We lucked out with beautiful weather and the outdoor waterpark was great! There was plenty to do for all ages and it was not very crowded at all. The kids loved the indoor waterpark just as much and it was perfect for mornings and evenings. There was never a dull moment and the staff was very friendly and courteous.

We did not eat at the hotel as there are a few drive thru's close by so we saved some money. We did drive the strip once to eat dinner at the Moose Jaw (GREAT!!!) I would also recommend bringing your own beverages as this can save money, too. We also brought donuts and bagels for breakfast.

All in all it was well worth the money spent. When you consider a day pass to the waterpark is $39 a day per person, the cost of the hotel was not that big of a deal. Mt. Olympus and Noah's Ark are just as expensive. Plus, with everything onsite, my husband was able to take our 3 year old back to the room to nap while the rest of us stayed outside. This was very convenient. Thanks, Kalahari! We will definately be back!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 26, 2005

This is the most exhorbitatntly priced waterpark I have ever visited. We paid $39 a person. There are several Six Flags, etc. amusement parks that contain equally good waterparks and amusement parks (roller coasters, etc.) that charge less than $39 a person.

The indoor part of this park smelled. Once you got out of the water, you could really smell the dirty water on you. It was if there was not enough chlorine or something. My friends and I felt iffy about walking around barefoot as well, especially after seeing food and pieces of candy on the ground.

Finally, I have to comment on the bathrooms. The showers were okay, but the toliets were in very bad condition. 3 out of 10 of them in the women's locker room were not working--and reeked. Even the clean stalls that I used smelled of very strong urine.

Overall, I would recommend going here only if you are staying at the hotel and you get the free tickets. Otherwise, this is definitely not worth the price.

Stayed July 2005
15 Thank HappyMama29
Rockford, MI
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Our family of four stayed there in mid-July. It was great. Sure the base room was $200, but when you figure the water park admission would be about $120 otherwise, it seemed like a good deal. This place is huge.
My advice is to go midweek if you can. There was no crowd. Our kids, 4 & 7, both loved it. There is plenty to do for them. I think older kids would really enjoy this place as well.
One downside was the food. It was kinda expensive, but about what we expected. After spending all day at the waterpark, getting all loaded up to go offsite to eat wasn't worth the effort. Just bite the bullet.
Bottom-line, this place was very nice, clean and fun. Highly recommended.

5 Thank BoredAgent
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Just returned from the Kalahari, we enjoyed our stay very much.
The water parks were great. We all enjoyed the water slides.
If you do book, check to make sure the rate does not go down before your trip. I was able to save 60 dollars by rechecking the rate, it had gone down. I then called and asked if they would honor the lower rate and they did. Also we are able to get 2 guest passes for our friends at 20 dollars each. It is 40 dollars to use the water parks if you do not stay there.
We paid 199 per night in prime season. This is for a basic room, with fridge and micro. No balcony and view of roof, but we really did not care.

The food in the food court was good, and fast. Bring your own pop and water. The pops are 1.75 each, you could save a lot by bring your own.

We had the breakfast buffet at Ingraffias. For 2 adults and one child it was around 24 dollars, we ate around 10:30 and were able to skip lunch.

For the most part the staff was great. They even have a 24 shop in the lobby which I think is great.

One night there were kids running up and down when we were trying to sleep, but stopped around midnight.

All is all we packed a lot into our trip in a short time. You don't really need to leave once you are here.

Terrific Family place. We are going back in one month!

4 Thank friendoffla
Reviewed July 20, 2005

We had a great time. My husband was there for business, but we made it a family vacation. The room was fantastick, and the check in was slow, but worth it. We toured the place after we checked in, and then went and ate at the Kahunaville Restaurant for dinner. Quite lively. Although, pretty pricey. I expected the meals to be pricey since we were in a resort. We also ate at Damon's next door. That was great. The outdoor waterpark was fun, but the indoor waterpark was the BEST. I have a 10 year old and a 17 year old, and the indoor waterpark was something we could all do together, and everyone loved it. When we left we were all talking about when we could go back again..........we had a terriffic time. The Kalahari was very impressive. :)

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business