“I LOVED IT”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I already said it, but I'll say it again I love this hotel. It is truly the best hotel in Wisconsin Dells. Myself alongside my family enjoy are stay each and every time we come. We have never had any problems. And complement the resort with their fantastic hotel rooms, welcoming staff, and phenomenal water parks.I recommend this hotel to anyone ready to take an amazing vacation, and i guarantee them that their going to have a whole lot of fun.

1  Thank abbeycampos

Reviewed June 13, 2009

This is our 4th time at the Kalahari. The waterpark resort is about adrenaline- go go go, thrills, get wet, not a relaxing veg out kind of vacation. A grandparent with limited mobility may not like the environment. We got a good rate from the Don White block which means certain dates one can stay for a night or two for 129 flat rate including wrist bands. On the website look for Kalahari Family Nights to see about promotional dates.

We had not been since they added the indoor theme park. -Some updates to help with your stay. We arrived on Friday and there were several wedding parties, family reunions and a convention going on- crowded. Check in took about 15 minutes but efficient. We were able to get our room upon check in at 3. We stayed in the main lodge which has advantages and disadvantages. Advantage- close to the action which also means close to all the noise and goings on. There is Kamp Kalahari, free cookies every afternoon and story telling by the fireplace. Staying in the lodge is great when the weather is not so great i.e snow or rain or have a stroller or walker. The room was clean and spacious. All come with a mini fridge and microwave, coffee maker, blowdryer. And we have stayed on 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. The 4th floor is the quietest since the floor is not open to the atrium as are floors 2 and 3. 4th floor- The view -not so great - a view of the dumpsters between the water park and resort. But this location is quieter than overlooking the outdoor water park with loud party music playing all day. The sands condo area is nice and has its own pool and shuttle a little quieter.

All the rides in the water park were running and the best time with short lines- around meal times and after 6 p.m and before 10 a.m. Between 9 a.m and 10 a.m is the only time just for hotel guests otherwise the park is open to general admission. Tips for waterpark- there are free vests as you enter and to the right for small guests. Get some of the rides in when lines aren't so long. The surfing can be fun but the lines are long and occasionally - well - there are wardrobe malfunctions of those trying to surf- some things are left best unseen. Be prepeared to climb 6-7 stories of stairs for the water rides and outside you must carry your own tube (provided). Doing this all day is a work out in and of itself. Our safety concern- they have hired many east europeans and russians who do not speak english very well. I asked where to get a tube for my youngest and they did not understand me. What if there were an emergency and there is a language barrier? I also noticed at times the guards weren't willing to call some on their behaviors - perhaps due to the language barriers. Be prepared for the loud noise of all the water in the park area and the music outside. Oh, as far as dressing rooms the main one- o.k clean. We use the back bathrooms which are not used as frequently and are cleaner and there is a family changing locker room- one. You can rent a cabana for about 100 the lounge chairs are nice and you get a t.v and a fridge. But really- the laziest demonstration, a family looking at the waterpark on the t.v waterpark channel rather than turning around and looking at it themselves. Better yet, they could be in the water enjoying it. We are too busy enjoying the park ourselves to be couch potatoes like this all day. Food prices- steep. We usually eat snacks from home and bring some bottled water in to avoid high costs. They don't allow to bring in food or drinks- definitely NO glass- so be discrete.
The amusement park- if you stay an all day wrist band is 19.95. If you are just visiting, its 29.95. You can pay per ride but the cost adds up quickly and steeply. Laser tag is 6.50 and the games last 4-5 minutes Go carts 6.50 little ones can go with an adult. The Ferris wheel - went around 6x for 3.00. Little kids are 9.95 but also can't do many of the attractions. The attractions were fun especially for our oldest. And many of the video games are top notch with top notch prices i.e $3.00 per game. They went through their 5.00 quickly. The best for our youngest which was free- was a indoor treehouse and play ground behind the food court. He spent an hour there. And it was not so loud as the main area. This place is LOUD. Think loud dance place and bar. Our youngest age 4 often covered his ears. And don't plan on eating at the food court at the amusement park. Chicken Nuggets and fries for the kids 11.99 for one order. Brat and fries 9.99. Needless to say, the food court was empty.
While there, we generally eat off property or eat in the room ( food we brought). Vending machines run 1.00 1.50 for average size snacks chips etc. Just off property McDonalds, Subway, Culvers, Dennys, Buffalo Phils, Cracker Barrell, - need car to get there. But the cost savings are significant. Our family of 4 ate at Mcdonalds for breakfast and dinner 25.00 it would have run us 60.00 at their food court. Room service is 20% surcharge for ordering plus tip. 4 cheese omlette and toast plus hashbrowns run 9.99 and coffee 2.69. Restaurants are often overcrowded, and service looked better this time around but in the past has been slow.
All in all, we love the Kalahari. For us, we know what we are getting into and the kids love it. For us, one day is generally enough two tops. The staff has always been nice to us and willing to make changes or work with us when issues come up. While up there, we saw several neighbors and old friends. We'll be back in a few months.

3  Thank 4travellite
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We just got back from the Kalahari ---(June 7-10) and I do have to say that this was one of the best trips ever!!!!
Arrived on Sunday (6-7) got our wristbands at noon, bellman took our luggage and held it for us and off we go to swim. Our African Queen room was ready at 3pm. We get to our room and once again it was spotless. It has 3 seperate sleeping areas, 3 flat screen tv's, fireplace, 2 balconies and 2 seperate bathrooms. Microwave and fridge.
We did go to the new Indoor Theme Park (we had free passes) and it was alot of fun for all ages. For Kalahari guests the passes are $20 but if you are not a guest they are $30. They can be used all day . Bowling is not included. They do have a special at nite 3/3/3 $3 appetizers/$3 bowling and $3 drinks. It was a great deal and took advantage of it 2 nites.
Food was excellent---we went to Kahunaville/ Ivory Coast/Ninas Cafe/ the pizza place in the food court and we ordered the appetizers from the lounge.
NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL ON FOOD. The mixed drinks we ordered were all very WEAK.
Since we went early June the Dells were not busy yet, so it was nice to get around quickly without all the traffic.
All in all we had a great trip and we already booked our next trip to go back in August 2009. One more thing---they do have free internet use in the business center 24 hours a day---just in case you needed it..

2  Thank fivehollins_123
Reviewed June 8, 2009

The Kalahari was absolutely wonderful! Very friendly staff throughout this huge complex! We had never spent that much per night on a room, but we were not disappointed. You literally would not have to leave if you didn't want to, as they have everything you need. Our room, a Royal African Suite had two separate bedrooms and bathrooms, which was nice with three kids! The master had a king bed and two queen beds in the other bedroom. The living area had a table and chairs, a nice full size leather couch and chair and a fireplace. Three flat screen TV's and VERY clean. We could enter the patio overlooking the outdoor waterpark from the living room area or from the master bedroom. The number of lifeguards present in the indoor and outdoor waterparks gave added security as they were everywhere! The indoor waterpark was wonderful and had something for everyone. The concierge desk had specials for various attractions in the Dells, and we received 5 free passes to the Tommy Bartlett Water Show, worth $100 at $20 per person. It was obvious the staff is trained on customer service. We had a couple minor issues in our room and maintenance was at our door in a matter of minutes. Parking was near the area we stayed. Overall, a great place and we definitely will be back!

1  Thank gmasheri
Reviewed June 5, 2009

By far, this was my sons FAVORITE vacation. It's cold in the midwest 1/2 of the year and sometimes June is as cold as March, so this was a GREAT alternatively to going South or West for vacation to get into the water. We absolutely loved how spacious the two room suite was. The resort was clean, parking was pretty much right at the front door of our room and you can spend a couple of days here without ever leaving the resort. Kahunnaville (sp) had great food and the activities were fun and free! The waterpark was really fun and not too crowded. They offer an indoor and outdoor water park which was really cool. We'll definitely go back.

The rooms were segregated from all of the activities which was great so the room was quiet.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Neeta2
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Kalahari and were very impressed. Everything was top notch especially their water parks. We have a 4 year old and between the water parks, arcade, ferris wheel and dry play area we kept extremely busy. We stayed in a Birds Eye Suite which is located off the main lobby. The location of the room is perfect since it is close to both water parks, restaurants and a short walk away from the theme park. Originally we had a Lodge room booked for later this summer but changed it to take advantage of a special. I am sure the rooms in the Sands building are great but the walk to the water parks and theme park would be too much especially if you go numerous times a day. Another great thing about the resort is that we did not have to leave once during the whole trip. We will definitely be back. The only complaint I have is the remotes for the TV's are horrible. Your better off changing the channel on the TV itself.

1  Thank Thundercracker
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband and I went to Kalahari with our two toddlers earlier this week and we had a blast. I will admit, I was a little scarred by some of the reviews that I had read, especially the one that spoke of the rude, barely english speaking "russians", but none of that proved to be the case. We found the staff to be polite and kind, and extremely patient when my child spiked a fever out of nowhere and I made several calls to the front desk at 11 pm asking for thermometers and a info on a place where I could find a fever reducer. The water park was wonderful and they have awesome activities for children of ALL ages. There were even some small, but still pretty darn big twisty turny water slides for the kids only under 100lbs. They LOVED it! I was a bit nervous at first cause I have never taken my kids to a water park and they are not good swimmers, but my nerves we called when one of the lifegaurds showed me where they kept the life jackets which we free to use while you used the park. There were a lot of life gaurds and they were polite seemed to be on task. The only issue we had with the Kalahari was out room. We were "upgraded" to a larger room, which was nice, I guess. The size of the room was wonderful, the beds were very comfy, and there we lot's of them, which was nice, but there was a boiler monster living in our closet that gurgled and growled loudly all night. Because I didn't know what the noise was and I didn't know if it was normal, I asked the manager to take a listen when he brought us the thermometer. That is when he told me it was a boiler. He said he could relocate us if we wanted, but it was after 11 and the kids had just fallen asleep, so I opted not to. He suggested that I bring it up to the manager in the morning to see if something culd be done. I mentioned it to the desk girl at checkout and she got the manager. The manager explained to me that all the rooms like ours had the closets with the boilers. Ugh. But she did offer us breakfast on the hotel in the hotel restaurant The Ivory Coast. We did take that offer to fill up before heading home. The staff was nice, and the food was pretty good, not the best I have ever had, but good. Overall, we loved our stay and we will deffinately be back.