“This is an awesome place!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Iowa
“This is an awesome place!”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

The Kalahari was absolutely wonderful! Very friendly staff throughout this huge complex! We had never spent that much per night on a room, but we were not disappointed. You literally would not have to leave if you didn't want to, as they have everything you need. Our room, a Royal African Suite had two separate bedrooms and bathrooms, which was nice with three kids! The master had a king bed and two queen beds in the other bedroom. The living area had a table and chairs, a nice full size leather couch and chair and a fireplace. Three flat screen TV's and VERY clean. We could enter the patio overlooking the outdoor waterpark from the living room area or from the master bedroom. The number of lifeguards present in the indoor and outdoor waterparks gave added security as they were everywhere! The indoor waterpark was wonderful and had something for everyone. The concierge desk had specials for various attractions in the Dells, and we received 5 free passes to the Tommy Bartlett Water Show, worth $100 at $20 per person. It was obvious the staff is trained on customer service. We had a couple minor issues in our room and maintenance was at our door in a matter of minutes. Parking was near the area we stayed. Overall, a great place and we definitely will be back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gmasheri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2009

By far, this was my sons FAVORITE vacation. It's cold in the midwest 1/2 of the year and sometimes June is as cold as March, so this was a GREAT alternatively to going South or West for vacation to get into the water. We absolutely loved how spacious the two room suite was. The resort was clean, parking was pretty much right at the front door of our room and you can spend a couple of days here without ever leaving the resort. Kahunnaville (sp) had great food and the activities were fun and free! The waterpark was really fun and not too crowded. They offer an indoor and outdoor water park which was really cool. We'll definitely go back.

The rooms were segregated from all of the activities which was great so the room was quiet.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Neeta2
Minnesota
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Kalahari and were very impressed. Everything was top notch especially their water parks. We have a 4 year old and between the water parks, arcade, ferris wheel and dry play area we kept extremely busy. We stayed in a Birds Eye Suite which is located off the main lobby. The location of the room is perfect since it is close to both water parks, restaurants and a short walk away from the theme park. Originally we had a Lodge room booked for later this summer but changed it to take advantage of a special. I am sure the rooms in the Sands building are great but the walk to the water parks and theme park would be too much especially if you go numerous times a day. Another great thing about the resort is that we did not have to leave once during the whole trip. We will definitely be back. The only complaint I have is the remotes for the TV's are horrible. Your better off changing the channel on the TV itself.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Thundercracker
mchenry,IL
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband and I went to Kalahari with our two toddlers earlier this week and we had a blast. I will admit, I was a little scarred by some of the reviews that I had read, especially the one that spoke of the rude, barely english speaking "russians", but none of that proved to be the case. We found the staff to be polite and kind, and extremely patient when my child spiked a fever out of nowhere and I made several calls to the front desk at 11 pm asking for thermometers and a info on a place where I could find a fever reducer. The water park was wonderful and they have awesome activities for children of ALL ages. There were even some small, but still pretty darn big twisty turny water slides for the kids only under 100lbs. They LOVED it! I was a bit nervous at first cause I have never taken my kids to a water park and they are not good swimmers, but my nerves we called when one of the lifegaurds showed me where they kept the life jackets which we free to use while you used the park. There were a lot of life gaurds and they were polite seemed to be on task. The only issue we had with the Kalahari was out room. We were "upgraded" to a larger room, which was nice, I guess. The size of the room was wonderful, the beds were very comfy, and there we lot's of them, which was nice, but there was a boiler monster living in our closet that gurgled and growled loudly all night. Because I didn't know what the noise was and I didn't know if it was normal, I asked the manager to take a listen when he brought us the thermometer. That is when he told me it was a boiler. He said he could relocate us if we wanted, but it was after 11 and the kids had just fallen asleep, so I opted not to. He suggested that I bring it up to the manager in the morning to see if something culd be done. I mentioned it to the desk girl at checkout and she got the manager. The manager explained to me that all the rooms like ours had the closets with the boilers. Ugh. But she did offer us breakfast on the hotel in the hotel restaurant The Ivory Coast. We did take that offer to fill up before heading home. The staff was nice, and the food was pretty good, not the best I have ever had, but good. Overall, we loved our stay and we will deffinately be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I love the Kalahari, plain and simple. We travel to Wisconsin Dells at least 4 or 5 times a year, both summer and winter months. We like to try different hotels with waterparks to see where we can find a reasonably priced place that we enjoy staying at. Although my wife likes the Wilderness Lodge over the Kalahari, the Kalahari is my favorite place to stay personally.

We have always had extremely polite and friendly staff encounters. The rooms are terrific, and we have been "upgraded" to much larger suites when the hotel isn't very full, all for the same price as a standard room. The rides there suit both my need for exciting rides, my wife's need for a lazy river, and my young daughter's need for kid-friendly water rides. I also love the fact that the waterparks are all in the same area of the resort. Want to get out of the sun for a while? Walk a couple hundred feet to the indoor park.

The only thing I dont like about Kalahari is the costs. Everything there costs a lot! Rooms, coffee, meals, candies form the candy store, all of that has a HUGE mark-up in price. You will pay significantly more for the conveinence of having those items at the hotel versus getting in your car and driving a few blocks.

One of my favorite activities there is to take our daughter to the nightly story times down by the fireplace. I grab a magazine, my wife gets a book, and we all go down there. It is VERY relaxing for all of us to go sit by the fireplace and read (or be read to) right before we go to bed for the night. I highly recommend getting there EARLY though so you can have a chair by the fireplace.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank firemanmatt
Chicago
Reviewed April 28, 2009

This is one of those places you have to check out at least once in your lifetime. And it won't be once because you'll keep wanting to come back for more. There is so much to do!

Great place for families or big groups. This resort caters to many different tastes and moods. There is something here for everyone, and if you cannot find it, then you need some fun in your life.

After saving money for a family trip, my family and I decided on the Kalahari because of the variety of activities and we needed a break from this crazy winter season.

The break down:

Service: The staff in the resort are all friendly and good at what they do. The only rudeness or aloofness we encountered was from this bartender at the bowling area. We sat at the bar for some good lunch and drinks but waited 15 minutes for the bartender to approach us. There were only 2 other people at the bar!

The Parks: The indoor waterpark and the theme park were a blast! Suggestions for both places, get there early to beat the long lines! I actually got to: bowl, climb walls, play guitar hero, drive a go-kart, play dance dance revolution, go down the funnel slide, float through "the lazy river", and surf indoors for my first time ever! Amazing!

The rooms: we stayed in an area called the sands. The rooms were absolutely gorgeous and clean. So clean, i was afraid to mess it up. They also have ways of making your stay in the rooms earth friendly. For example, leave towels on floor that you would like replaced, so as to not waste water/energy, etc. It was thoughtful of them to give me this choice.

Summary: great for friends and family! I will be back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel_Lola_1
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Our family of 9 traveled to Kalahari in search of a relaxing and recreational family vacation. We had 6 adults and 3 children under the age of 4 thus we stayed in the Sands Kondos village suite. The rooms layout was perfect. We had enough room for everyone to sleep and for the little ones to take afternoon naps without infringing upon anyone's privacy. The only negative thing was the long hike to the waterpark itself. For the young children, it was a very long walk, although it was enclosed along the way. We ate at the in-house restaurant and found the food good and also affordable. The adults could watch the NCAA March Madness playoffs in the evening in the living area while the youngsters slept in their respective beds. The resort is located right off the interstate and was easy to find. Since the weather was cold and snowy, we did not venture out into the Dells area, but if it was summer, we would have done that. The cost is affordable for each family and we all brought food items for breakfast and snacks since there is a full-size kitchen area with all the necessary dinnerware, cookware, and appliances. The rooms were clean and spacious. It was a wonderful long-week-end vacation for our family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family