“Disappointed regular visitor-filthy pool area & lack of service”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
A TripAdvisor Member
“Disappointed regular visitor-filthy pool area & lack of service”
Reviewed January 17, 2005

Trip dates 1/15/05-1/17/05...This was our 3rd trip to the Kalahari (family of five) and we noticed the quality of service has greatly diminished since last year. Our room was nice and clean but the bed sheets were like sand paper. The once happy and friendly employees were unhappy and in some cases down right grumpy and rude. Several employees didn't care about customer service and a great numer appeared overworked and unappreciated. The women's locker room was filthy with constant standing water, scum/dirt on floors, broken sink faucets, broken latches on bathroom doors, broken hand dryers, empty soap dispensers and dirty toilets. The pool deck in spots was similarily unkept with scum on the stairs, gritty dirt at the bottom of the hot tubs, and soiled kabanas and tables. Several basketball hoops were partially ripped off the rims. The "Wild Kingdom" water area had such reduced water pressure that the cannons and water guns didn't fire at all. We also noticed that the number of life guards/attendants was greatly reduced and in some cases non-existent (the infamous toilet-bowl ride had no life guard or attendant at the beginning of the ride for several hours after the park opened on 1/17/05 and the wave pool had only 1 guard for the whole area on 1/17/05 even though it was heavily populated). This is a shame since this park WAS by far one of the best in the US.

46 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Reviewed January 12, 2005

The one major complaint I have about the Kalahari is the food
is terrible, all junk! I wouldn't even mind paying those prices if
you were served something edible. My family and I have visited
the Kalahari in the past and every time we leave we feel awful
because of the food we ate. We definately are going to try a
different resort next time we visit the Dells.

Also, the lifequards make you feel very unwelcomed! They seem
like they are forced to be there and can't wait until you leave so
they can sit and talk between themselves. My kids smile at them with
excitement and they just look at them with a straight face.
What ever happened to making the customer feel welcomed instead
of everyone being unhappy and rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2005

1/7/05 2nd visit to the Kalahari for us. My brother and I plus two kids each decided to give the wives a well deserved weekend off (darn-we'll have to rought it at the Dells:) We could only get fri. night in the cheaper room(double queen w/sofa) and sat. only had the big suites available, so we opted for a sat. stay at the Great Wolf. To my surprise when I checked in they gave us the royal family suite! It was HUGE!! two bedrooms, two bathrooms, fireplace. It really spoiled us for future visits. The place is awesome as always. Clean, great staff, real lion cubs in the lobby. The waterpark IS the biggest indoor park period! although, because of this the lines can get pretty long on the weekends. We ate at Marley's, Great food, Fun atmosphere, always a good time. We loved the candy shop. My brother calls it "Home of the six dollar caramel apple" One visit there and you'll be sure to bring cheap treats from home next time! So we had a great time but.... The next day we went to the Great Wolf. I'd say right on par with the Kalahari. Smaller waterpark but, no public usage, which meant no long lines for the rides.Plus the new Howlin Tornado was the favorite water ride out of ALL places we've been. The kids said they would rather return to the Great Wolf! Sometimes bigger is not better!

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plainfield, IL
Reviewed January 2, 2005

The water was so cold I couldn't stop my two year old from shaking! The water park (esp. the master blasterj) is a lot of fun, but it was hard to forget how cold the water was. I asked the on duty manager if they were aware that the water was cold, and she said no and would call maintenance. The ladies at the front entrance to the water park area said there were "numerous" complaints from people. We were there three days and the water was cold every day. Also, in the central kiddie area with the spraying water tower, it was so cold from all the spray from the tower being constantly on. On previous trips the tower would rain down every ten minutes or so, and now it was on continuously. It was not very relaxing for the little kids and annoying for the parents. Very loud too. We stayed in the royal african queen suite and it was clean and nice. But we didn't go there for the room. The complimentary champagne and party favors were very nice for New years eve. This was our third trip to the Kalahari and have never had this happen before. All trips were in the winter months previously. I think we will try something else.

• Stayed January 2005
16 Thank wendyroses
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2005

Our family consists of 2 adults and our two children. Our daughter is 5 and our son is 6 years old. We booked here for a change of pace since we have visited the Dells for New Year's for 5 years. We have stayed at the Wilderness, Wolf Lodge and now here.

ROOM: We booked a 2 Royal African Suites (friends went with) which consisted of two bedrooms, two baths and a living room. The room was great. Very clean, spacious and comfortable. This was one of the better kept rooms we have rented in the Dells. Our family enjoys movies in the evening so the large on demand video selection was appreciated.

WATERPARK: The water park is very large and well kept. However it has some issues. First this is not designed for small children since they can get away from you easily compared to ther water parks. Second the water and room is cold. I expect the water warmer in winter so that it can at least be tolerated. We had to go into the hot tub every other ride. Last is the food. The food they serve at the park is NASTY. I paid $40.00 + for snacks for our family and thought it was nasty. The steak sandwich had all fat and no meat. The chicken sandwich did not taste like chicken etc..... The salad was the only good food. Sneak your own food in our eat out of the park.

New Years Buffett: Outstanding! I do not like buffett's in general but this was great. Crab legs, shrimp, oysters and all very well prepared with top knotch service. This area needs to take over the restaurants in the waterpark. I will go back here next year to eat for sure.

Service: This part was dissappointing. The staff seemed to be overworked and cranky all over the hotel. Perhaps it was just a busy weekend. The icing on the cake for me was the last day. I was waiting in line waiting for luggage cart when a staff member (Doreen) cut in line and took the next cart to give to another lady. I said that is not fair for us that had been waiting in line. She gave me a dirty look and said this person had been waiting for 45 minutes. Funny she never asked how long I and the others had been waiting. She never even apologized. It gets worse. At the front desk she is bad mouthing me at check out to a friend so I can here. Poor poor service. The others seemed cranky but tolerable. However she was BAD!! I wrote the hotel so I will write back in a week to tell you if they replied. That is always the way to tell if they even care.

Overall it was a nice hotel but it needs some work to compare to the cost they are charging. The rooms are much better than other hotels but the service lacks to ther other hotels we have visited. Hope this helps and good luck. Post any questions you may have and I will reply. I have been visiting the dells since I was a child and am now 34 years old.

33 Thank DAC
Reviewed January 1, 2005

We just returned from the Kalahari on December 30, 2004 and this is what we thought of it:
THE GOOD STUFF:

It is absolutely beautiful and decorated nicely
The food was good although overpriced in the waterpark
The room was clean
The waterpark was huge and a lot of fun

The Bad Stuff:

The beds were VERY hard
The staff not all that friendly and kept reminding us that they were too busy
The bathrooms in the waterpark were only on one end and it made it difficult to get too
You can only get up the wsaterslides by climbing stairs (about 4stories high) Whicih is not that big of a deal except for the fact that I had a slight knee injury and it was very hard to climb the steps
The lifeguards were all kids and you could tell they were not really watching all that well. I worked in a waterpark at one time and I know the difference between well trained lifeguards and what we had here.

All in all we really enjoyed ourselves and we would go again. We hope this review will make a difference in the way the staff treates the customers especially since the price is high. Thanks

• Stayed December 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lake County, Indiana
Reviewed December 29, 2004

My wife and 3 boys (9, 7, & 6) stayed at the Kalahari from December 21st thru 23rd. It was our second visit to the resort in the past year and we'll be back again. We upgraded our room to a 'birds-eye suite' which was Huge. 2 queen beds, 2 sleeper sofas, 2 TV's, a fridge & microwave in a large room with a dividing wall. There was plenty of room to fit another queen blow up mattress, if needed. A window in the room overlooked the main lobby and was directly above the pottery place. The waterpark is super. It is larger than any outdoor water park I've been to and much more secure than other resorts in the Dells that we stayed at. There is only one way in and out of the park. At one point our youngest became lost but was swept up by the staff who kept him entertained at the main desk until we arrived. We decided to splurge and go to the resturaunt in the resort, I think it's called Ingraffs? The $16.00 buffet was outstanding and well worth it. We ate there 2 of the 3 nights. Overall, it was well worth the extra few dollars. We'll be back again and again.

• Stayed December 2004