“Overall...a great vacation”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Overall...a great vacation”
Reviewed December 4, 2004

My husband & I stayed at Kalahari for 4 days (no children). We stayed M-Th, so the rate was cheaper than weekend (but still pricey). Check-in line was not long, but took forever. Front Desk Staff was slow and not very informative. We received a free upgrade from a Desert Room to a Royal Suite on the first floor next to the outdoor waterpark. Room was spacious and clean with a fireplace and ceiling fans. Housekeeping always forgot to replace something (towels, coffee, etc.). TV in room had channel to watch the waterpark, which came in handy to check out lines. Flowrider was AWESOME! Being we stayed mid-week, there was no wait. We had a mixture of life guards. First set showed us how to ride and do tricks-very Friendly!! Second set showed no interest in being there and did not interact with us. Alot of different waterslides, all were great, but Master Blaster kept breaking down. Drinks inside park are outrageously priced! Dinner at Ingraffia's was excellent and the breakfast buffet was OK. I recommend visiting Pottery Pizzaz! Staff here were friendly & helpful. It was relaxing after spending hours in the waterpark and you take home a memorable souvenir. The only firm complaint I have would be room rates. If we had not of been upgraded for free, I would have felt ripped off. We vacation alot in Vegas & Florida and I've never booked a room rate this high, and we had a rock-bottom rate. We had a great vacation and plan on staying here again, but if some of the surrounding hotels were to add more extreme water rides, I would definetely consider staying some where cheaper.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 26, 2004

We just got home from spending Thanksgiving at the Kalahari. Let me start by saying we are a family of 4- my husband, myself, and 2 children ages 8 and 12. We stayed at the Sands building which is supposed to be like a condominium and much quieter than the hotel and newer and nicer with much more private rooms and parking--according to the reservation employee when I called to book my room. Our room was equipped with a king size bed and a sofa pull-out with a full kitchen and table and a dishwasher--I thought a great way to cook our Thanksgiving dinner and worth the extra $50-(compared to the standard dbl queen in the hotel.) NOT!

1. The parking outside of this PRIVATE structure was so tight that you couldn't even open your door fully and had to be extra careful not to hit someone's door next to you-compared to the large hotel lot which was a ways away that had decent and certainly much wider spaces.

2. When we got to our room I was a bit happier to see our room which appeared nice at first glance until a full look at the kitchen was given. The tables and counters were dusty and the utensils on the wall were very dusty-the overall look of the kitchen and stove made you want to start cleaning right away-which I did. I then looked into the cupboards and drawers which had a full stock of plates, cups, silverware, utensils, etc., just as promised but the only problem was when I started pulling out dishes to set the table I got to plate 3 and there was food all over the plate(s) and then 2 others that followed. I decided to wash everything we used by hand before we ate including silverware, pots and pans etc. A bit disappointing for a hotel/resort of this nature.

3. There were at least 2 bugs that we killed on the kitchen counter-not sure what kind but in late November I wouldn't expect any bugs to be present. ??

4. The Resort staff was not the friendliest by any means. The employees in the shops were not smiling/friendly/helpful. There were no altercations with anyone per say, but I would have to say that no one was particularly friendly towards us at check-in or throughout our stay.

5. Lastly, the waterpark was ok but certainly not outstanding. We were told 16 waterslides when we called but those include the kids slides as well because there were only 8 large ones-ones for adult and/or kids. The food and drinks were definately overpriced because you were not allowed to bring anything inside with you. There were not many garbage facilities or towel areas-a long walk to the ONE womens or mens bathrooms once inside. The ONE bathroom was also the walk-in area, locker, shower, and changing room-which was very crowded. A bathroom at the other end of the waterpark would have been much nicer for guests.

6. Overall we had an ok time but not what I was expecting. We have stayed at the Wilderness in the Dells in the past and found it to be cleaner, more friendly, and just as much fun with 3 seperate indoor waterparks for guests. One big plus in my opinion for the Kalahari was the Pottery Pizzazz--a shop where you can buy & paint your own pottery and they will glaze & fire it for you. You can pick up your pottery next day or have delivered to your home for a small charge. Seemed to go over big as the room was always full of guests making pottery-we did manage to squeeze in and make 2 pieces during our stay.

Thanks and I hope your stay is much more pleasant and hopefully you find this informative and not to criticizing....good luck!

24 Thank vac8tions
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 17, 2004

My wife and I spent the weekend at the Kalahari and we had a great time. We got a suite with a whirlpool and loved it. The room was spacious and clean. We made it down to the waterpark and it was more than I expected. The wait for the rides were small, and I loved the surfing ride. The only downfall would be the price, but if we had a family or multiple parties it would be worth it because we could have easily fit 3 or more people in our room.

2 Thank Hoser_71
Reviewed October 14, 2004

Let me start by saying that I live in a very nice area, make a decent living and take a lot of pride in my appearance and so does my family. When we travel, we certainly have a wide range of options for choosing a place to stay. The treatment that I received at this resort should be against the law, and I am almost ashamed to write it down. I feel like other people should know before they spend their money.

It may just be the way it made me feel personally, but I'm not the kind of person who thinks I'm being discriminated against every where I go. I stay in a lot of hotels and have been consistently given amazing service by people of other races. However, in all the stores and restaurants at Kalahari, my family and I felt like we were being watched, followed and given very "cold" service.

That was not the worst of it. After two nights in our room, my son complaind of itching and I noticed little red bumps on his skin. My sister works for a clinic and said she was almost certain they were caused by bedbugs. When I told the front desk about it, just for their information, they claimed that the resort is very clean and that couldn't be. He also said that if there were bedbugs, they must have been brought in by us!!!

Kalahari is dirty and rude at the very least and if not racist certainly not race-friendly. I hope they get closed down.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 28, 2004

oh my god, i went with my friend and her family for the whole weekend and it was one of the funest. the sevise was great. the room was wnderful and the veiw was oh the view was the best ever. we were looking right into the parking lot with the water founted and the tall full leave trees. i will be going back vary soon.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 26, 2004

My Family and I were just there on 9/23 - 9/26 and we had good time. The Hotel and Waterpark are just beautiful but there is always room for improvement. The room was nice and clean but not inspected very well otherwise they would have noticed the broken latch on the livingroom patio door. The waterpark was wounderful but there were to many break downs on one waterslide, things not working well or at all at kiddie water fun house in the center of the park. Half the jets in the hot tubs were not working and you can barely understand what they are saying over the speakers. The people working at food courts can not handle the few people that were there well enough with out taking for ever and need to keep the area cleaned much better ,if that means going around the other side of the counter to cleanup ( where is management? )
most of all the nosing on the steps in the park must receive nonslip strips and I understand there are signs and there is water everywhere but the steps are very dangerous more so with shoes on, take it from me I know! On thursday night I slipped and fell on those steps and landed on my back hard, your E.M.T. came and took care of me and checked on me as often as possible. Management Did nothing, not a how are you or do you need anything except some attitude when I asked for more Advil that's the least they could do because with out the Advil I would not been able to move around at all. A report was made with the E.M.T. and should be on record so I'm waiting to see what kind of attention this will receive. Please make those steps safer before someone really gets hurt!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago suburbs
Reviewed September 20, 2004

We are two adults who visited, without children, as day-guests only, so did not stay in hotel. Day-guests allowed in starting at 10am - no set line to stand in to buy a wrist band, so people were confused as to who to pay, etc. We suggest one person obtain a locker for clothes, money, etc. - as this was really helpful and we didn't have to worry about our stuff sitting out. Towels were left on a chair and no one touched them. Locker rooms nice and clean, with showers readily available, and hair dryers available as well. Indoor waterpark very large and great for children of all ages. It was extremely loud, hot & humid inside - typical of an indoor waterpark. Ventillation needs to be greatly improved, especially at the top of slides. Air and water temperature very comfortable. Better signage is needed on waterslides, and the type of tubing which is required. Signs also need to say if it is a body slide or tube slide. Large kid area in the middle of the park with small slides, and fun things to do. Snack bar good, but expensive. In order to get to outside waterpark you have to go back thru the locker room, thru the waterpark lobby and then outside. Inconvenient, and floor can be slippery. Door outside practically goes into a sand volleyball court, so indoor lobby floor was slightly messy with sand and water. Outdoor park was good with 4 slides, a lazy river, and large pools. A great breath of fresh air, and lots of chairs to lounge in. A little noisy from the highway, but not annoying. Staff was young, and not enthusiastic at all. Only one young man actually seemed to like pushing people down the slide, but other than that no one smiled, no one talked, and when they told you it was ok to go they just nodded their approval. Granted it was the end of August, but morale was low. Would go back only if we had kids with us, or other people to hang around with. From the outside the hotel looked nice, and the front lobby was decorated in a safari theme with large animals - expecially elephants, giraffes, and lions.

• Stayed September 2004