“Overall nice stay, but pay attention to what they're charging you for!!!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Illinois
“Overall nice stay, but pay attention to what they're charging you for!!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2009

This is our 2nd time at the Kalahari. Overall, we had a nice stay. Rooms were clean. My two boys - ages 10 & 8 loved the indoor waterpark and the new indoor theme park. Crowds were pretty thin, although the line for the "Master Blaster" was always long. Lifeguards not too friendly, but seemed competent. Noticed a few minor things that could be improved - 1st thing in the morning noticed some trash in the big treehouse area (top to a plastic soda bottle & a bandaid), some of the waterpark areas could use a fresh coat of paint & new screws & hinges.

However, beware of weird charges. Part of the "taxes & fees" on the room rate included a $4 "green recovery fee". My husband questioned it at the front desk. They've installed new systems in each of the rooms to help conserve electricity. I'm all for it, but they have to be saving a ton of money. Why are the guest being charged for a system that will save them a ton of money? I know it's only $4, but if they get that from everyone, that's a ton. We wanted it back on principle alone!

Also, we had dinner one night at "The Ivory Coast", which is a restaurant right in the lobby. We went there only because there's a sign in the lobby of the indoor waterpark area that said kids eat free. I checked the sign out more than once to look for restrictions. There were none. My husband & I ordered dinners & the kids ordered kids meals. When the bill arrived, we were charged for everyone. My husband mentioned the sign in the lobby advertising that kids eat free. The waitress was nice enough, and replied "I'll have the manager take that off for you". Well, if you're advertising it, why was the charge on there at all??? Felt like it was a scam - they'd charge you hoping no one noticed the sign or something. It should be automatic whether you ask for it or not. So, there's another $10 they tried to charge us that they shouldn't have. BEWARE of those kinds of things.

We've been to the Wilderness several times, and will head back there on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BaseballFan5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Lake Geneva
Reviewed April 3, 2009

I have stayed at the Kalahari twice. The rooms are amazing and VERY clean. The staff is very friendly. I have only been to the inside water park, but it is a lot of fun. Even when there were lines for the water slides, you still didn't have to wait that long.

My only complaint is that I don't think that kids shouldn't be allowed in the hot tubs, they often seemed to take them over.

One of the times I stayed here, 2 of the water slides were out of order, but the hotel gave us 50% off our room for the inconvenience!

• Stayed August 2006
2 Thank LgTy
WI
Reviewed April 3, 2009

If you don't think you'll need to sleep during your stay at the Kalahari, this is the place for you. This is partly the fault of irresponsible parents, and partly the fault of the resort. There were kids ages 8-12 slamming doors in our hallway beginning about 10 p.m. and continuing to 12:30 a.m. They were playing a hide and seek game between rooms and would slam the doors peeking in and out. Kids were also shouting in the hallways during this time. After asking them to be quiet twice, I called the hotel desk. The noise continued. After I finally got really teed off they got the message and quieted down. Apparently, mom and dad were in the bar and the kids were left with a teenage sibling babysitter.

Next, teenagers were roaming the halls, trying to look cool, like "ganstas", pants down to their knees, all dressed in black, and swearing throughout the halls. This was about 1 a.m. They just roamed the halls in the Sands building. Another call to management, who supposedly sent security to check on them, as there was apparently an 11:00 curfew they were breaking. Tell me, do they have security cameras in hallways? Can security actually walk down the hall and talk to guests who are being disruptive? Is this a free-for-all? Kalahari needs to put more emphasis on keeping unsupervised kids in control. This is NOT the place for relaxation.

The walls are paper thin, so you can hear a toilet flush in the next room, and can hear conversations in adjoining rooms. It sounds like elephants from the Savana are in the room above.

5 Thank happyslappy
Chicago
Reviewed April 1, 2009

To start we had a room by the outdoor water park right by the interstate, all night long we could hear the traffic like we were outside! We paid over $400 for our room, that is not right!!!! There is no sound dampening whatsoever! At 2am none of us could sleep so I walked down to the front desk, I told the person "None of us can sleep can you switch our room?" He told me "No we are booked, let me ask my manager" He stayed in the back room for 15 minutes finally came back out and said "No there is nothing my manager can do either we can give you free earplugs?" I told him that's not good enough so he stated "Well have a great night!" I had never been so mad! In the mourning I complained again and the manager I got didn't really listen and just said sorry. At the bowling alley we had to wait for 15 minutes while the associate was on a personal phone call. I have called and tried complaining about this for a week but no one will return a call. I keep getting put through to voice mails. I have been through 3 managers and no one will call me back just to talk. THE SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!!! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! Super 8 is even so much better then Kalahari for service!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rjhzr2
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I'm staying here for four days with three little kids. I'm so irritated that I'm writing while we're still here. Service, or lack there of, is ridiculous. Everyone borders on rude, from the waitstaff to housekeeping. I just got a knock at the door at 3:45pm. Housekeeping while my kids are decompressing after I called down twice to see if someone could come earlier?!@#$!@#$^ I just threw the towels in the hall. I called the concierge to get directions to a Target or similar store - voicemail. There isn't that "how may I start your car" mentality that should come when you're paying over $450 a night. The price borders on Ritz Carlton. The service is more like Super 8. I keep telling myself it's for the kids. However, I can't help feeling that I just wasted too much money to stay here. Never again.

1 Thank Overpaid
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed March 26, 2009

When i was researching the various Dells waterpark hotels here I was a bit concerned since there were so many negative reviews - especially on room conditions. But I am happy to say my one night Spring Break stay went off perfectly.

We arrived at 11:30 am and went to the check-in counter. After a 5-6 minute wait we registered with a friendly desk clerk. Our room was not yet ready so we received complimentary passes to the men and women's warter park lockers. I also requested a top floor room if possible. We received our waterpark wristbands and headed off to the water park.

The kids immediately started having a blast at the water park. The only ride we really hads to wait for at all was the "Master Blaster" (the roller-coster type ride). Everything else we pretty much walked onto immediately. Tubes were readily available for both the lazy river and for taking up to those couple tube rides where you have a carry a tube yourself.

A few hours later we headed out for dinner. When we returned our room was ready. Our request for a top floor room was granted. We went up to a very nice room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Everything was clean and in perfect working order. No complaints at all about the room. We then headed down for a few more hours at the water park.

The next morning we had no trouble making it out by the 11 am check out time. The bill was on the door (not slipped underneath, oddly enough) and we checked out via the TV. We headed out for some breakfast and returned and hour later for 'day 2' of our wristbands.

Given that it would have cost $34 per person for *one day* at the water park I think I got a really good value for two days of usage (plus the room) for my family of five for just around $220. I would gladly return here.

3 Thank sclind6777
Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Let me start by who we are. My wife and I are in our early 30's. We have no kids and traveled to the resort with my brother and his girlfriend. We are experienced travelers who have stayed at 5 Star resorts, to hole in the wall hotels.

My wife and I enjoyed the resort two years ago but never wrote a review. So this year I thought I would.

We purposely booked on a Monday/Tuesday night as from our past experience we knew it would be less crowded and more laid back. We booked our rooms online. We stayed in a Hut Room in the Sands part of the resort. We paid, after taxes approx $159 Dollars per night which included water park passes and the new theme park pass which included go-carts, laser tag, mini golf etc. Do your homework to get the best price.

ROOMS: The rooms are larger than a standard hotel and were well maintained. It is also nice and very rare to get a balcony. Our room was located in the Sands builiding which is the furthest from the waterpark and front desk. We don't care and find it comical when people complain they actually have to walk. House keeping was fantastic.

WATERPARK: Amazing, no lines during the time we were there. It is good to feel like a kid again.

Service: Front desk was fast and effecient. I ordered a slice of Pizza from a place directly outside the water park. It appeared there was a new employee who had cut the pizza. Although I thought it was fine, the supervisor told me she wasn't going to charge me for the slice of pizza as the newbie had cut it too small. Bravo! The bartenders at the new bowling alley are uninterested and don't know how to poor drinks. The bowling alley and bar is an incredible area but this area needs some massive help.

Food: My brother and his wife wanted to Eat at Damon's. Damons was out of several items and the food was attrocious. The beer was cold and yummy. Avoid Damon's. We go out to The House of Embers which is an incredible old school steak house. Give it a try. There is a pizza joint not to far called Moose???? it was great.

We like this resort because yes it is a little more expensive. We like that because I don't enjoy hanging out with white trash and other miscreants. This resort has tons to do for all My wife and I will continue to come back and when we eventually have some chitlins I know it will be a yearly experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business