Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$104
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$85
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Dells(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$85
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$86
BestWestern.com
Ramada Wisconsin Dells(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$84
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$93
$88
Black Hawk Motel & Suites(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$74
$72
Great Wolf Lodge(Wisconsin Dells)
$170
Alakai Hotel and Suites(Wisconsin Dells)(Great Value!)
$69
$62
$249
TripAdvisor
3,008 results
All reviewssands buildingindoor theme parkivory coastferris wheelgreat karoodouble cutmaster blasterhut roomroyal african queen suitebrew pubbowling alleysweet hutwater parkcookie decoratingswim up barmovie theaterall ages
A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 12, 2004

My family and I stayed at the Kalahari in June. The service was horrible. It took an hour to check in. Nobody offered to help us with our bags or our pack n play. The employees acted like it was such a hassle to help us. The room was disgusting. There was a dirty sock under the blanket, the toilet didn't work and it took them an hour and a half to come up and fix it after 3 phone calls to the front desk. The waterpark was awesome, but not worth the hassle of the incredibly rude staff. I will be going to great wolf lodge next year.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2004

We visited the kalahri on AUG 1-3. We went with our kids (boys ages 16,13 and 10) and another couple with a girl age 15 and a boy 12.

My kids loved the flowrider. The lines were about 20-30 minutes long with 80% boys and 20% girls in line. Boys seemed to like it better than girls. You also needed to be about 8 years old or you would be too light and the force of the water would push you back and your turn would be over. I'm sure there are exceptions to this-but this is a general guideline based on our experience. The stronger kids did better on this and could do more tricks.

The flowrider and master blaster were the highlights of the trip. The slides outside are fun but we spent more time indoors.

There were lots of people at the resort but my kids did not complain about long lines. This is a high energy place-its Wisconsin Dells in mid-summer. If you have older kids Kalahri water slides seem to be the best. I love Great Wolf's lobby.etc, but the slides there are not as scarry.fast.etc. It really depends on the ages of your kids which place is best for you.

I have also read that the food is not good at the resorts. We did not eat at Kalahari but the food did look expensive. There are so many places to eat closeby that it is easy not to eat resort food. Papa Johns delivered pizza. Mcdonalds, Culvers are across the street-you have options. Monks in downtown has great burgers and service.

Enjoy your time at THE DELLS. Your kids will have a ball on the slides and esp the flowrider.

6  Thank jgourley
Reviewed August 7, 2004

I called for my reservation since we were looking for same day lodging, the gentleman I spoke with (Jim) was very friendly and helpful. I was looking for a 2 BR suite, they had 1 left- the Village "Lodge" suite. I booked it for 2 nights, Thu @ $289/nite and Fri @ $309/nite.

We got there on a Thursday evening around 6:30, the check-in line was short so we only waited for a few minutes. The front desk staff was very friendly and energetic. They gave us that day's waterpark wristbands.

This was my first visit to Kalahari, my first impression was "massive". This resort is HUGE! It's also very colorful, very decorative and the atmosphere there is fun.

At first I was disappointed to hear that our room was in the "Sands" building which is a bit of a hike from the waterpark. Turns out, I was glad we were because the main building had alot more hallway traffic. The Sands building is adjoined to the main building via a "skywalk" on the second floor. It took a good 5-7 minutes to get from our room to the waterpark.

About our room: again, it was the "Lodge" suite which had 1 king bed, sitting area with 1 sofa sleeper (queen size), 2 TV's, a full kitchen and 1 bathroom. The bathroom & king bedroom area has 2 double doors that close off from the sitting area and the kitchen. The room was very beautiful and modern, but more importantly- CLEAN!

The king bed was very comfortable. Even the queen size sofa sleeper was comfortable. There was only 1 closet in the suite and it was stocked with only 2 extra pillows and 1 extra blanket, which were used by our kids on the sofa sleeper. I really think they should at least stock 3-4 pillows in my opinion.

All the appliances looked to be new. The kitchen comes stocked with utensils, plates, bowls, glasses and coffee mugs. However, very little cabinet space left over to put food in. We bought some basic groceries, but didn't have any place to put the cupboard items.

One negative at this point, I opened the dishwasher to find it full. They were clean, but why should I have to put away someone else's dishes! They say that it's full housekeeping service, but yet they didn't put away the dishes. They also say that housekeeping will put away any dirty dishes into the dishwasher and that if it's 1/2 full they will run it. So, I left them there assuming housekeeping would get it the next day (we were staying 2 nights). However, even the next day they didn't touch the dishes. I don't mind taking care of my own mess, but it's certainly not my obligation to take care of someone else's! But, I had to do it because I needed to fill the dishwasher to clean up our mess. Oh well, at least they were clean.

The other negative, I wish that there were 2 bathrooms or that at least the bathroom was not closed off with the king bedroom. I didn't like the "I need to go to the bathroom" interruptions!

We had someone above us the second night who obviously had a couple kids that were out of control. It sounded like a herd of elephants up there which was a bit too "real" for going along with the African theme. Normally, I'm pretty laid back and don't get too hyped up, but this was continuous and went on even after 10:30 pm. That's when I called the front desk and complained. He was very friendly about it, said he would call right now, but if it does continue to call him back and he'll send security over to their room. It stopped about 5 minutes after my call. Which was wonderful, I'm glad it didn't have to go any further than a phone call.

About the indoor waterpark: overall, very good. It's very clean, as well as the bathroom and shower/locker rooms. They offer many slides, even the big bowl slide which this is the only indoor waterpark that I know of that has this. Plenty of tubes for everyone. It has a youngster play area, even my 11 yr old loved it (heck, even I liked it).

I thought the water in the lazy river and wave pool were warm enough, but the pools where you play basketball were not.

The Kalahari prefers that you do not take your room towels down to the waterpark. However, they have a bin full of towels available as soon as you walk into the indoor waterpark.

About the outdoor waterpark: slides are fun, water was cold. We used it on a high 70's/low 80's sunny day, enough to make me sweat as I was laying out, but the water was very cold! Neither of my kids wanted to go in any of their pools. So, we headed back into the indoor one. Although, not before I talked my son into going on some water slides. Great slides!

The atmosphere at the outdoor waterpark was fun and energetic. The had like a DJ playing a variety of good tunes, anywhere from country to pop. They had contests from time to time, which you could win prizes.

Check-out: video check-out is available. This was a first for me, but yes, you can turn your TV on, press the Menu button, go to Hotel Services and check-out. It displays your room charges and if you agree you can check-out. Pretty cool! You can use the waterpark until 3 pm the day of check-out.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with our first trip to Kalahari. The resort itself is a vacation. We were only there for 2 nights, Thu and Fri, but something was always going on there. Every place I went was clean, friendly staff, energetic atmosphere and plenty to do. I've been to the Dells before, but this was my first lodging experience here and would not hesitate to stay at the Kalahari again.

• Stayed: January 2005
41  Thank Spazz67
Reviewed August 4, 2004

We didn't stay at the resort, so when we found out how much it cost to go to the water park we were taken aback. I'm glad we went, because it's the best water park we've ever been to.

The outdoor section has some of the best tube rides ever. These are not for the timid (or the out of shape). High speeds, lots of thrills.

When the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in we went inside. Yeah, it's loud and humid in there, but it had great water slides. The surfing simulator was fun, but the wait was a bit long.

Yeah, it's expensive, so I'd recommend staying at the resort. In our opinion, it's the best water park in the Dells.

17  Thank N0t_a_C0wb0y
A TripAdvisor Member
Schaumburg, ILLinois
Reviewed July 24, 2004

WE stayed in a royal african suite June 5-12, 2004. The indoor waterpark water raft slides were so much fun. My kids want to go back already. There are 5 whirlpools inside which were so relaxing. 2 Bars inside too. The ingraffis restaurant is great with a nice buffet every night. We ate there twice for dinner it was good.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member