“We ALL enjoyed it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Roselle, Illinois
“We ALL enjoyed it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I took my 3 boys (17, 13, &10) for a couple nights. We loved the water park. There were so many options that we never had to wait long for anything. Since it is all under one roof, I could kind of let them go off on their own. We also used the indoor amusement park. At first I thought spending another $25 per kid was a bit too much, but they did each activity 2-3 times. We MORE than got our money's worth out of it. I did a couple activities with them, and just paid individually. The all day pass was too much for me to use. Throughout the park the food was reasonably priced for a resort, not too outrageous. Our room was huge (Nomad). Plenty of room for the 4 of us to spread out. They loved the free cookie decorating in the lobby. We highly recommend and would love to go back.

Room Tip: The Nomad was large and could comfortably sleep 6. We were on the 4th floor and it was pretty quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

I received an email survey from the hotel asking about my stay. I completed it and let them know about the front desk/registration issues I encountered. When I received no response from Kalahari, I emailed them asking why they hadn't addressed my concerns. They sent me an email stating they never received my online survey and asked if I would take a few minutes to email them my review. I took a few minutes to send the email. 4 business days pass and still no response, so I sent them another email. 4 additional business days pass with no response, so I went on their website and sent them a message through there. I feel there lack of response further cements my feelings that just like the front desk/registration employees, issues are not looked into - they are swept under the rug. Here's the summary of what I sent them:

I decided to take a one day getaway with my 3 children. Since my husband couldn't come, my mother came along to help.

The employees were great. Whether at the restaurants, in the park, kids craft area, or shops, they always asked if we were enjoying our staying and they were friendly and enthusiastic. Brigitte was a great help decorating shirts and pillowcases. The restaurant staff was also great answering my food questions since my 2 year old daughter has an autoimmune disorder and I have to watch what foods she consumes.

I had a little issue with the Flowrider. My son saw the kids using it on Wednesday around 8:30 p.m. I saw a sign that said you could go to the front counter to inquire about Flowrider lessons. I went up to the counter around 8:45 p.m. as we were leaving. The employee at the front counter said I could sign two of my children up for lessons at 7:30 a.m. since that was the only opening. We said that it was fine. She took our information and then said she was sorry, but I needed to sign up prior to 8 pm the night before. My children were a little disappointed, but it wasn't a big deal. (We didn't see that rule listed anywhere, so I wanted to make you aware of it in case other families encounter this situation.)

The two problems I encountered seemed to be operational issues that should run smoothly.

1) check in is at 4 pm. I was told it was an extremely busy time and that if you could come a little later, lines aren't as long. I arrived at 5 pm and only waited in line a few minutes, which was great. However, the employee at check-in said that our room wasn't ready. She said she couldn't believe it and kept checking the system. It was a 2 room suite (when I had called to make the reservation, this was part of an upgrade package). She tried checking for 10 more minutes and said she didn't know why it wasn't ready and that "they weren't that busy". Since I had three eager children waiting in the car, I said we would eat dinner rather than have me stand there and waste more time. She gave me an 800 number to call later to see if our room was ready. Around 6 pm I called and was told our room was finally ready. I left my mother and children at the restaurant so that I could stand in line again and finally get my room. I understand that if we arrive before the check-in time, the room might not be ready. It seems unreasonable to me that a room isn't ready until 2 hours after your listed check-in time.

2) I like to use our room key to charge. I feel safer carrying that around a water park rather than my credit card or cash. I wasn't able to use it for dinner since we didn't have a room yet. I used the room key twice that night for after swimming snacks. We decided to eat breakfast before swimming for the morning. I went to the Great Karoo with my room key. The employee said my card was not valid. He tried swiping it several times. He said it showed no one was checked in with that room number or last name. Luckily my mom had my credit card packed in one of her bags, so we were able to pay for our meal. He also said he would check into it while we were eating. After we were finished, I found out that the employee never checked into the room key - the restaurant was busy, so it was understandable. I had my mom take my children to the waterpark so that I could sort out this mess. I stood in the front desk line for about 10 minutes and spoke to an employee about the situation. She said that the room was under the name of Izzard (or something similar) and that it wasn't under my name. My name wasn't anywhere in the system. I showed her my express checkout receipt showing my name and my room number. She said that the system must have had a "hiccup". It was 9:30 a.m. and I was told I couldn't use my room key until they figured it out. She even called over another employee and they couldn't figure out why my name wasn't listed on the room and why it showed we were checked out. We stayed until 3 p.m. and I used my credit card the entire time for the shops, restaurants, and kids crafts. I will be monitoring the charges on my credit card to make sure that the only room key charges are the two times I used it on Wednesday night. No one from the front desk/registration ever followed up with me.

We typically come to WI Dells for a weekend in the winter and a week in the summer. We stayed at the Kalahari about 5 years ago, but have recently been staying at the larger condos at the Wilderness. I understand that little things can happen; however, these were issues I found unacceptable. I was checking in after check in time and my room should have been ready. I shouldn't have to worry about someone else be listed under my room and then being told that my room key was declined as payment for breakfast. The registration desk seemed to be baffled by the two things that had happened to me. I was offered a "I'm really sorry, but we don't know what is going on with the system." To pay over $350 for a room that wasn't ready and then encounter the mis-matched room key/name, was not worth it to me. I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Room Tip: We used the package where you could choose your own adventure. The three "adventure options&quo...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KrissyBrookfieldWI
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
While I'm glad to hear you have encountered some positives of your stay, I am very sorry to hear about the negatives you have come across. Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts and let us know how we may improve. Our front-office manager, Kyle, has been attempting to get into contact with you. I do hope you have the opportunity to connect soon. In the meantime, if you are able to connect shortly, please don't hesitate to let me know. I can be reached directly at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Happy to help! I would never you want you to leave Kalahari with this as your lasting impression. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve. Looking forward to connecting soon. Take care!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I went with a group to Kalahari, which was nice, as the water park is nice, but a tad cramped. When I tried to talk to any employee I either got an attitude, or a smirky remark. I never was sassy, I only asked questions, and that was it. The theme is cool, but its extremely expensive, and the arcade prizes are extremely horrible. I will stay there again, but if I have the option I would stay at Wilderness.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the waterpark and the themes throughout the resort. Thank you for taking a moment to share you thoughts with us. I am very sorry to hear about the negative interactions you encountered while staying with us. I will be sure to share this info with our team, including our training department. As we have a community wide approach on delivering beyond expectations, this is unacceptable to hear. I will most certainly do my part to ensure when you return, you have a wonderful trip! Thank you again for your time. I do look forward to seeing you in the near future!
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Our family was welcomed by a very cheerful front desk lady that explained in detail all of my questions. The first night there we checked out the theme park with the passes that were included in our package. We had to drag the kids out at 11pm when they closed they were having so much fun. The next morning we grabbed breakfast at the little cafe next to the main lobby (that was pricey), and then carried on to the waterpark. My entire family had a blast for the day! Not at any point were my kids bored, and they kept things very tidy. Staff were very courteous and we liked that we didn't have to leave the resort any any time if we didn't have to. The only donfall to our stay was that we chose to try Ponderosa down the street...save your money and stomach, it was disgusting!!! We are taking the kids back this month to make up for the awful time we had the following night at a nearby resort. Can't wait!

Room Tip: You can always request a room on the park side of the resort. The young lady taking my reservation...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had never been on an overnight trip to Wisconsin Dells before and selected Kalahari based on several reviews I read online. We (my wife, 4 year old son and I) went there last week during spring break for three nights and had a wonderful time. There are several positive experiences that we had throughout our stay.

We had made our reservations a month in advance and a day before; I noticed a special on Kalahari's Facebook page that had lower rates for one of the nights we were going to stay as well as free passes to the indoor theme park. On a whim I called in to their customer service and the person on the line was good enough to adjust my existing reservation to give me the special rate and passes (this ended up saving me ~100$)

We stayed in a Lodge room in the Sands building and it was amazing. The room was large and clean and the full size kitchen was well equipped. Our room was located on the second floor close to the walkway that connected the Sands building to the main building. It was ~7-10 min walk from our room to the waterpark but we planned it in a way to minimize the number of back and forth trips (I would definitely recommend asking for a room as close to the walkway as possible). Everything is connected internally and can be reached without having to go outside which was a great plus due to the colder than normal March weather.

The waterpark was awesome. There are several rides for kids of all ages and my son had a blast. Some of the bigger rides had long lines (after all it was spring break) but we did the more popular rides early in the morning and late in the evening when the lines were much lesser and spent the remainder of the time in the various kiddie sections. The life guards were alert and super nice (one of them exchanged high fives and fist bumps with my son when we were standing in line and made him laugh).

The indoor theme park was a lot of fun as well with the giant ferris wheel and the carousel being an instant hit with us. We did not spend as much time trying out the other video games and rides (including go-carting) since most of them have a min height requirement. However there was a steady stream of folks in front of everything even as late as 10 pm (the indoor theme park is open till midnight).

There are several food options (with a delicious ice cream place that had some of the best ice cream I have eaten in a long time). All in all, we did not lack for anything during the time we were there. The rooms are a little on the pricey side but this experience has made me a Kalahari fan and I cannot see myself going anywhere else the next time.

Room Tip: If you are in the Sand building, ask for a room on the second level close to the walkway that connec...
2 Thank Arun B
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
It was so very much our pleasure to have you! We're thrilled that you gave us a try, even more so, you loved your stay! I know we loved having you and your family. Thank you for all the wonderful tips provided for future travelers. This kind of shared information is truly so valuable for everyone that comes across it. So thrilled our team took care of you with the Beat the Clock special and got you, your Indoor Theme Park passes. Hopefully you can check us out in the summer too. With the weather, we can add some additional free amenities, from the outdoor waterpark, to passes to Timbavati Wildlife Park and the Tommy Bartlett Show... all included too! Again, I can't thank you enough for visiting us and taking the time to share your experience. We are beyond excited to see you again soon!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Two weeks ago we spent two nights at the Kalahari for a cheer competition. Although we have previously had a positive experience at the Kalahari, this was left us unsettled. Upon check in, they tried to charge us 3 times the rate we had locked in as our group rate which made check in and extremely arduous. Things got better until our departure date, we woke up to no hot water for showers - apparently the whole "Sands" building was affected. Also, don't expect to get any grace on your check out time, even if your daughter is competing during schedule check out time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tammy C
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for coming to visit us again. While I'm glad that your first visit was great, I am sorry to hear about your most recent stay. If you had reserved on the group block, I hope that we were able to get your reservations straightened out for you. I am sorry this started your visit off on the wrong foot. Likewise, I am sorry about the issue within the Sands building. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. I hope your daughter did will for her competition. I know it was certainly our privilege to have you and your family as our guest. I hope that we can see you again when you are in the area. Thank you so much for all your feedback! Take care!
Wheeling, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We have stayed at the Kalahari several times and have never been disappointed. I love that you can park your car and not get back in it until you are ready to go home. Everything from dining to movies to the water park is all under one roof. The staff is very good, whether it is housekeeping or life guarding everyone is thoughtful and efficient.

Room Tip: If you have little children, the walk from the Sands building to the water park can be long. Stay i...
1 Thank JillM958
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
I don't know how to say this better than we LOVE having you here too! Thank you so much for visiting time after time and taking a moment to share your thoughts. Simply put, always a pleasure to have you! Can't wait to see you and your family again soon!